Page 1 of 2
Although this is my 2nd build, my first did not go according to plan, mostly because I didn't really want/need the instrument. Therefore I'm probably gunna need a lot of help on this one. This time I do actually have a use for the instrument, and its not quite as crazy as last time.

So I've got a very exact visual concept of what I want the guitar to look like, but I'm not sure on the electronics or hardware. To avoid some of the problems of my last build I am probably going to buy a neck and then modify it if necessary.

In terms of why I'm building the instrument, and what I require from it, I am building it as although I am a bassist, it would be very beneficial for me to have a guitar, for a whole range of reasons. I do have experience in the guitar, but just currently dont possess one. Therefore I need the guitar to be versatile, but particularly I would like the pickup to be capable of some nice bluesy tones. I realise I've set myself a challange with only one pickup, but any ideas???

Anyway, the design:
Fender Jazzmaster Ash body
Trans Blueburst
Single Pickup
Volume Knob Only
Maple on Maple neck, to be bought, not made
Mother of Pearl block inlay

Another thing is I'm unlikely to start it til next week at the earliest since I need to finish my workshop first( a 10' by 20' shed at the bottom of my garden). Only the windows and electrics to go...

Anyway, My photoshopping of the design:

Its loosely based on:

Any advice on pickups/finish/hardware would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the essay above
Thanks, Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
Schecter Stiletto Custom 5
Ashdown Electric Blue EVO II
Last edited by parkerboy at Jul 27, 2009,
Maybe a JB (Seymour Duncan) in the bridge position & '59 in the neck position?
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
h8 the bridge, aside from that it looks good. For pickups I'd go with a pair of Seymour Duncans. Maybe the '59 and Jazz? or maybe a JB in there?
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
yeah man if you want versatility and blues tones you cant just have a bridge pickup. A neck one would be good too, tbh i tink youre better going more for a strat type layout, with some tone knobs
^^He said one pickup
but i would say probablii a set of P90's would do you well...or possibally some single coils in there? would give amazing blues sound.

and what are your plans for the bridge might i ask? where are you getting the parts from?
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Last edited by Audioslave95 at Jul 26, 2009,
I'm considering goin for a bigsby instead. Hardware is very flexible atm. Lookin at the Seymour Duncans, they look good. I really like the look of P90s, and im not sure where I'm gunna get anything from yet.
Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
Last edited by parkerboy at Jul 26, 2009,
I would recomend a bigsby for blues tone, i fitted one to my fender telecaster and it sounds amazing, go for it. And on the pickups, maybe a P-90 in a middle position?
Quote by parkerboy
I really like the look of P90s, and im not sure where I'm gunna get anything from yet.
Chris

I saw you're from Basinstoke, yeah? maybe if you can go to London, you could go to one of the larger music stores (names anyone? I'm a northener )
I've been to a couple of the big music shops in london, the only problem with them is they are rather expensive. I'm really likin the idea of a bigsby B5 atm, combined with a P90. What part of the north are you from?
Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
I'd go for a nice set of p-90s. Quite versatile. However if you insist on one pickup only, how about a Seymour Duncan P rails. You can get 4 different options from it. If you insist one volume only (again, I wouldn't because of the lack of versatility) then I'd have a push pull switching between humbucker and p 90 tones. A bigsby is easier to put on than a jazzmaster trem due to the lack of routing it requires compared to the big hole for a jazzmaster trem.

And seriously, if you want versatility, do not go for one pickup one volume. This is perhaps the least versatile set up a guitar could have. You can't really have a versatile one pickup one volume guitar, even with the aforementioned p rails. But if you insist...
I'd go for a pair of pickups being honest, and I'd recommend a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck.

Look into Bare Knuckle pickups. Expensive but incredible tonally
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by parkerboy
I've been to a couple of the big music shops in london, the only problem with them is they are rather expensive. I'm really likin the idea of a bigsby B5 atm, combined with a P90. What part of the north are you from?
Chris

Newcastle-ish. Little hell-hole called Ashington

try possibally some of the smaller shops of mod shops: maybe you could bargin a deal for a bigsby from them? and P90's your best bet. And large guitar stores should have cheap prices tbqh on pickups. Websites?
I'm ging to succumb to the advice of my fellow ug-ers and go for two pickups, p90s. I've found a set on ebay which hopefully I shall be buying this evening. I've also found a Bigsby B50, and the same applies. Anyone in england got an ash body blank for sale?
Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
are you really not putting a neck pup? if so, think it over what you want in the bridge. also, you may want to loose the cover for a brighter sounder with more defined consonants. you can always roll the tone back to compensate for not having a cover.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
If you read my last post it says I will have two pickups, neck and bridge. I'm also gunno go for a 3 way switch. The controls are gunna basically be the same as the picture from the fender jazzmaster I put in the first post.
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
People may disagree with me here, but I think a single tone control would be more useful than a single volume. You can always use a volume pedal...

As for ash. http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/ has ash. Never used them though. There are plenty of website selling body blanks, but your best bet would be to go down to a local lumber yard. Miles cheaper and you can pick out what you want. The moment people stamp "luthier wood" on it they ramp up the price.
yeah I read your post but it seems like you started off wanting one pickup and people talked you into having two. you haven't built it yet so there is still time to change your mind.

you could rig that one vol pot with a push/pull to make it sound like the tone control is rolled off. finding the right tone control is just about finding the right cap and the right resistance. you could try a few until you get the right tone off sound.

Quote by supergerbil
I think a single tone control would be more useful than a single volume.

+1 to this also. unless you use your volume knob a lot to get dirty/clean sounds. most people just use pedals or amp footswitch for dirty/clean, while the volume knob gets no love.

PS I just figured out a way to have 6 tone caps in one. use a varitone knob and leave it hidden under the pickguard. so push/pull selects tone. take the pickguard off to change varitone settings. or make a hole in the back of the body 1/8 inch to adjust varitone with a screwdriver.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
I think you should go for a reverse headstock, it just suits that body style better and flows more with the shape.
I like the idea of doing a tone knob instead of volume, and the idea of using a pushpull pot to be able to adjust between two different tone settings. Also, I suppose it makes sense as there are plenty of other ways to change the volume.

I have bought from luthiersupplies.co.uk before, and they sent good stuff, if a little slow. I've emailed them about wood, and ive changed from ash to alder, which is what the original is made of.

I also really like the idea of doing a reverse headstock, but I'm probably gunna buy the neck. What I might do is make a neck, with a reverse headstock, after I've made the guitar with a premade headstock.

Hopefully I'll be ordering parts tommorow, provided I can convince my parents.
Cheers for the advice,
Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
^Oh but ash looks better with stains. Check out the ash in my build. Ash is much more pretty! You can by guitars with reverse headstock though. But in my opinion they are really ugly and harder to tune as the machine heads are on the oppostie side.
Interesting. I have always found reverse headstocks easier to tune. Just feels more ergonomic to me. To each his own!

Have you considered a concentric pot, or are you set on a speed knob?
I'm not 100% certain about body woods yet so I'm gunna see what deals I can get.
Check out the ash in my build
I have to say that ash does look amazing.

I have considered concentric pots, but want to keep the guitar as simple as possible aesthetically.

I've already found a set of wilkinson P90s which are cheap, I was wondering if anybody had experience? I may upgrade in the future to irongears, but wan't to try to keep the price down as things like the bigsby are rather expensive.

Fingers crossed by tomorrow evening I'll be able to give you a long list of ordered parts.

Cheers,
Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
^ This is a wise decision. If you have to cut costs better to do it on pickups than on hardware. Many on this forum would do well to learn from you.
There has been a change of plan, due to an ebay item that I was outbid on becoming available again.

Provided all goes according to plan I should be getting this, but I'm not sure.
I'll also probably still get a bigsby, and do the same finish.

Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
Last edited by parkerboy at Aug 2, 2009,
Damn i was looking forward to the jazzmaster :P
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
holy cr.p that is a weird lookin guitar, what is with the chromy things? and isnt that a few TOO many pots...

looks like there is a library of tones waiting to come out of that thing...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by parkerboy
There has been a change of plan, due to an ebay item that I was outbid on becoming available again.

Provided all goes according to plan I should be getting this, but I'm not sure.
I'll also probably still get a bigsby, and do the same finish.

Chris

Ah, I was watching that intently on eBay, but because I bought my missus her first guitar a couple of months back, I had to hold off on the purchase.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Well, the plan has changed back, and I have progress!(or at least purchase)
I have finally started spending some money, but did not get the ebay items shown above due to the fact that it took me more than 24 hours to respond to my second chance, andI don't want to waste more time bidding.

However, I have now bought wood for the body! Two peice swamp ash, and a neck!
Pics of the ash when it arrives.

Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
Progress!

The ash has arrived. It arrived yesterday, which is very quick considering the I ordered it late Sunday. I would recommend tonetch to anyone.
I bought my first tools. 3 sash cramps
The body being glued:

To demonstrate the grain:

I also wanted to show you pictures of my workshop/shed. Its not finished yet though, hence the mess.

All photos taken with my dads brand new camera. As in, it arrived this morning new.

Chris
Fender J-bass 24f
Fender Jaguar Bass
Quote by parkerboy

I bought my first tools. 3 sash cramps

don't you mean clamps?

The ash also looks really nice
I love Jazzmasters, and nice shed!
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
the neck seems interesting, it's a maple fretboard but there is no skunk stripe?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I imagine the fretboard is seperate from the neck...

Quote by guitarcam123
don't you mean clamps?
They are called both sash clamps and cramps.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
It would have to be i guess

They are called both sash clamps and cramps.
Learn something new everyday

Quote by Absent Mind

Not necessarily, a teacher at my school showed me these guitars by a guy called gordon smith. His maple necks are one piece with no skunk stripe. I found a pic of one about half way down this page http://www.forsyths.co.uk/gordonsmith.htm

Don't have a clue how he inserts the truss rod though...
A really long drill bit? I'm not saying it cant be done, its just no mass produced neck would ever be made with out either a skunk stripe or a seperate fretboard.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Page 1 of 2