Im planning on buying a new guitar half stack but im not sure which one to choose

The most Im willing to use at least 700-1400 $ on a good amp

btw are all half stack tube amps??

Also...

I play alot of Iron Maiden Metallica and all that 80s stuff

Helpp???
Best Guitarist Hands Down: Adrian Smith
Quote by m_esparza09
Im planning on buying a new guitar half stack but im not sure which one to choose

The most Im willing to use at least 700-1400 $ on a good amp

btw are all half stack tube amps??

Also...

I play alot of Iron Maiden Metallica and all that 80s stuff

Helpp???

No, some half stacks are SS. I would suggest you go with a tube amp though.

Maiden and 80s stuff makes me think Marshall JCM 800 + Avatar cabinet...but you really should just sit your ass down in a guitar store and try whatever they have.
WTLTL 2011
Not all half stacks are tube amps... (MG,...)
Check out some Randall amps (used & new stuff)...
- Ibanez RG7321 *Dimarzio D Activators*
- Jackson Dk 2 Dinky Transparent Red
- ENGL Powerball
- ENGL E412 SS
- Line 6 Pod Studio GX
- Ibanez TS9
- Boss NS2
No, not all half stacks are tubes. And sorry, I don't know anything about stacks, so no recommendation
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Whatever you do, don't go into a guitar center looking for a halfstck with your lack of knowledge because the employees will bring you to a wall of lights and toy like objects, play a shredding solo on the insane channel of a spider and make you buy it, or even worse they'll give you an mg, which isn't realy a marshall.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
if you DO go SS make sure it's the ever famous "Ampeg VT-120".
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Do you really need a Halfstack? There are a lot of tube combos that are just as good or better than some head/cab combos. Are you gigging with this, or just playing at home? You can get a lot out of a tube combo for 1500.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Budda-Superdrive-18-1x12-Combo-Amp-481005-i1145503.gc

Budda Superdrive 18 - Love these things, can get really up there with the distortion too, especially with an OD in front of it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-6505-212-Combo-2x12-Guitar-Amp-481433-i1145625.gc

Peavey 6505 2x12

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bogner-Alchemist-Series-212-40W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104904164-i1423687.gc

Bogner Alchemist - played one the other day, it was sahweet.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Express-5-25-5-25W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104919535-i1453115.gc

Mesa 5:25

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC30CC2-30w-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103130704-i1145849.gc

Vox AC30CC2 - be great when driven. Coworker has one and it sounds good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-212-Combo-Amp-104003389-i1145635.gc

Valveking 212 - little over 600 bucks.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-Half-Stack-485058-i1174721.gc

Valveking Half-Stack for ~950 if you MUST have a halfstack.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Last edited by w0lf19 at Jul 26, 2009,
Just get a JCM800. OR Go used and grab a Splawn Competition
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by kingofdudes161
if you DO go SS make sure it's the ever famous "Ampeg VT-120".

wats ss :]
ss= solid state amp
Guitars:

Mitchell MD100S
Yamaha CS40
Dean V-Coustic
Laguna LE122

Amp:
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Quote by Mark G
...but you really should just sit your ass down in a guitar store and try whatever they have.

You mean try out several amps before you buy one?!?!? Now that 's just crazy talk.
Quote by BobDetroit
You mean try out several amps before you buy one?!?!? Now that 's just crazy talk.

At that rate you might actually form some kind of "Taste"

But alas I suggest you go tubed.
Go to a guitar shop, Try stuff out, find something that YOU like and suits YOUR needs.
Opinios are all you will get from UG.
And Opinions are Biased
Whatever you do, don't go into a guitar center looking for a halfstck with your lack of knowledge because the employees will bring you to a wall of lights and toy like objects, play a shredding solo on the insane channel of a spider and make you buy it, or even worse they'll give you an mg, which isn't realy a marshall.
To be fair, kids go into GC and say "I've got $500 and I wanna brand new half stack!"

New, huh? Well, let's see, we have the Spider, we have the Raven, and we have the MG. Try them out, pick the one you like best.
get a marshall JCM800/900/2000

/thread
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by phank
To be fair, kids go into GC and say "I've got $500 and I wanna brand new half stack!"

New, huh? Well, let's see, we have the Spider, we have the Raven, and we have the MG. Try them out, pick the one you like best.

HAHAHA
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
[sarcasmfortheday]Go for the MG, definately. I mean, It's got everything. Endorsed by Zakk Wylde, multiple effects built in, cheap, I mean, what a steal. Comes in a 1/2 stack form for you, bud.[/sarcasmfortheday]

Get a combo.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
get a marshall JCM800/900/2000

/thread

This is definatly what I would do. I believe Iron Maiden uses JCM 2000 DSLs.

EDIT: Just checked, Dave uses DSL100 heads.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Last edited by classicrocker01 at Jul 26, 2009,
^yep, plus metallica and just about every 80's hard rock band used the 800
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Ghold125
^Metallica never used jcm800's

kill em all was a JCM800 with a proco rat, ride the lightning was a JCM800 with a tube screamer, and master of puppets was a mark IIC+ slaved into a JCM800.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by Ghold125
^Plexi's

No, they were JCM 800s.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
This is definatly what I would do. I believe Iron Maiden uses JCM 2000 DSLs.

EDIT: Just checked, Dave uses DSL100 heads.

Ha thanks man imma try to get this then

by the way what kind of cabinet should i get with this head?

also..

I have a zoom g2.1u pedal

is there any other good multi effect pedals?

O and MG series
you already have one multi-fx pedal, no need for more, so lets stay on the whole amp thing

make sure to play before you pay,. thoe jcm800 amps everyone is mentioning, they are kind of an aquired taste for anything heavier than some metallica, so you may want to find a used jcm900 or jcm2000

there is a peavey clone of the jcm800 i think, the vtm series
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
you already have one multi-fx pedal, no need for more, so lets stay on the whole amp thing

make sure to play before you pay,. thoe jcm800 amps everyone is mentioning, they are kind of an aquired taste for anything heavier than some metallica, so you may want to find a used jcm900 or jcm2000

there is a peavey clone of the jcm800 i think, the vtm series

the JCM800s are expensive as **** and the JCM 2000s sound and are pretty cheap
Peavey windsor? 100 watts is very loud though.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Peavey windsor? 100 watts is very loud though.

+1
Ibanez RGA 8 (Dimarzio D Activator 8)->Rocktron Hush->Engl E530 preamp->Marshall 9200 poweramp->Marshall 4x12 closed back cab w/ G12t75's
don't expect to get a tone like master,justice or the black album if your getting that marshall, they used marshalls for kill em all and ride the lightning, master and justice were done on a mesa mark iic+ or triaxis i think. I would look into something else other than marshall because you like em or hate em, i personally hate em. I would try going for a used mesa boogie mark iv.
Quote by m_esparza09
the JCM800s are expensive as **** and the JCM 2000s sound and are pretty cheap

The only expensive JCM800s are the new reissues which are trash compared to the oroginals. Hunt down a used original JCM800 on your local classifieds.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Ehm, what guitar is this going to be going into? Surprised no one has asked that? Also do you really need a half stack? Are you gigging with a band? Or are you gonna be rockin' out with your **** out in your room?
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
An amp going into a guitar - that's just crazy talk.

Get a half-stack if you feel you need one. Once you have one and realize it isn't for you (ie. you don't have someone to carry your gear around for you) come back and we'll give you advice on a good combo :P
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
If you want the Maiden tone then get a Marshall 9200/EL34, 1960A/B, Marshall JMP - 1, Marshall JFX - 1. Janick, Dave and Adrian use those but for the price you want you would have to get all used, in addition to the JMP - 1 and JFX - 1 cause both are discontinued.
It's up to you I'm going for that and I need to find the used stuff at a good price near me. I'm a big fan of the 80's Heavy Metal so if you don't go for those a JCM800 should be close.
Troll your craigslist to find a used JCM800 for the 80s, buy a avatar 2x12 with greenbacks, buy an OD of your choice = epic tone machine
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
^yep, plus metallica and just about every 80's hard rock band used the 800

Actually I believe that Kill Em All was the only album that featured a JCM800 - I'm pretty sure they switched to Mesas on Ride the Lighting.

Anyway, a JCM800 is still the way to go - seeing that it is pretty much the staple amp of the 80's.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Actually I believe that Kill Em All was the only album that featured a JCM800 - I'm pretty sure they switched to Mesas on Ride the Lighting.

Anyway, a JCM800 is still the way to go - seeing that it is pretty much the staple amp of the 80's.

Kill Em All- JCM 800 w/Proco Rat
Ride- JCM 800 w/Tubescreamer
Master- Mesa Mark IIC+ slaved into JCM 800

/pointless statement

But yes, really any JCM would be great.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Last edited by classicrocker01 at Aug 9, 2009,
Marshall JCM 900 mine cost $1500

AWESOME amp for what you want.

it`s probly the cheapest of the JCM`s, you`ll never find a 800 in your price range, unless someone doesn`t know what they have.