Page 1 of 5
I have a few days off (thank goodness) and I wanted to get back into the fray of GG&A discussions, so I was wondering what pet-peeves you guys had about gear.

Mine:
I have never heard a vibe pedal that sounded like Robin Trower (a phase 90 cops the sound quite well, however)

more to come, I just wanted to get the ball rolling
If you mean dislikes about gear, mostly build quality and naivety of people who buy crappy gear.

My friend gave me his guitar to tune for him overnight cause he didn't have a chromatic tuner. I went to plug it in to tune it, and the jack pushed the socket inside the guitar, so I had to take it apart to fix it.

Just things like this annoy me. I try to always make sure everything is sturdy, etc. I always make sure they don't have really cheapy jack ports!
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
people who think they need their gain on 10 at all times
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Guitar players who have no ear for tone, especially when they play through a great rig and sound like ass.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
the fact that i have to pay 2 times as much for a worse quality product just because it has a name brand on it -.-
~Defiant~
Quote by timi_hendrix
When people care more about their gear than what they're playing.

This.

Most people do not realize a lot of tone comes from the player. While they are concerned about saving ass loads of money to get that popular piece of gear, but neglect working on dynamics and such. Then when they finally plug their $2000 dollar Explorer(or whatever) into their $2000 Marshall (or whatever) and they sound nothing like they thought it was going to.

But something else that really gets me is large company's pawning crappy gear to new musicans *cough* MGseries*cough* They make it LOOK like a high end botique amp but sounds like a car wreak on steroids. It's one thing to make small practice amps like this, but a FREAKIN WHOLE STACK? That is exploitation of ignorace, but it is a free market.

/rant
That I can never have enough
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by Raijouta
Guitar players who have no ear for tone, especially when they play through a great rig and sound like ass.

THIS THIS THIS!

I know a few people on UG like this. Pretty well-known people too....
How 6 inch patch cables cost 3x as much as 20 foot cables by the same brand.
Paying for it.

But for reals, I hate how some companys really declined in there quality standards.
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Quote by Akridosity
Paying for it.

But for reals, I hate how some companys really declined in there quality standards.

I agree with this as well, it's amazing how 50 years of building a name know for quailty and care can declline so fast. I am reminded of that thread where the guy bought a brand new 2500 dollar Gibson Les Paul and there was a pit in the fretboard. I have never even saw that bad of a flaw on a Squier before.
Quote by Aurex
the fact that i have to pay 2 times as much for a worse quality product just because it has a name brand on it -.-

That's the thing, you don't "have to". No one is making you.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
i hate how ibanez rarely puts brand name pickups in guitars, even very expensive ones. i also hate how low wattage tube amps tend to have a mushy low end that isn't good for metal
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^ I would like to point out that most low wattage tube amps aren't aimed at doing metal at all... they're more aimed at blues and classic rock players where tube sag and loose bottom end are desirable characteristics of the amp's overdrive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
^ I would like to point out that most low wattage tube amps aren't aimed at doing metal at all... they're more aimed at blues and classic rock players where tube sag and loose bottom end are desirable characteristics of the amp's overdrive.

yeah im aware of that, its just sometimes i wish there was a way to get a good tube metal sound without having to pay for lots of power.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Blackstar HT-5 seems perfect for metal with low wattage... the upcoming Hayden Mofo is also supposed to be able to do metal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
yeah im aware of that, its just sometimes i wish there was a way to get a good tube metal sound without having to pay for lots of power.

HT-5
Putting on strings. I have not successfully done by myself. For a long time I wasn't doing it right, there were several times where I followed a guide on the internet, yet still messed it up. Last time I just said "f*ck it" and took it to the local shop.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
My pet peeve is when people don't take the time to get a solid mix filling tone from their rig.

two specific examples.

First, a kid with a BRAND NEW Crate v100 and a brand new boss GT-8, with a mexican Tele.
He had no idea how to even guess a good tone and just left every knob where it was out of the box. I almost went up on stage mid performance and EQ'd it for him. Everything was incredibly tinny and gross.

second example was a guy that was sharing a Orange Rockerverb with another guitarist that he was on tour with.
The owner had a rockerverb 50 and a high-output guitar mad eof warm and resonant wood.
The guy using it had a tele with no tone control or neck pickup and his sound was hella weak and tinny. If he knew how to use and EQ, he could have gotten a really nice sound.
Quote by tmfiore
Putting on strings. I have not successfully done by myself. For a long time I wasn't doing it right, there were several times where I followed a guide on the internet, yet still messed it up. Last time I just said "f*ck it" and took it to the local shop.

XD

I cannot remberer the last time I succsessfully restrung a guitar perfectly.Even following online guides, I manged to restring half of my LP backwards. The E, A, & D strings are on the outside of the pegs somehow. the stings I used were Cleartones, which are not cheap, so I just said **** it, and kept it that way. It still manages to stay in tune very well.
Quote by tmfiore

+1 it usually takes me around an hour to do a whole string change and a lot of times i dont wind the strings right

also, probably my biggest is when kids buy multi fx processors that are capable of making decent tones, then they don't learn the slightest thing about using them.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
The fact that my knowledge of gear and my ear for tone far exceeds my playing skills
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
The fact that my knowledge of gear and my ear for tone far exceeds my playing skills

I'll reluctantly 2nd that.
Quote by Natrone

I would like to think that my playing skills aren't that bad, but I have a similar problem. I can't always make the music I play sound like what I hear in my head, and I sometimes think I focus too much on getting better gear than actually making music. My GAS is dying down though; the only thing I want is an envelope filter and I feel I'll be done.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
I would like to think that my playing skills aren't that bad, but I have a similar problem. I can't always make the music I play sound like what I hear in my head, and I sometimes think I focus too much on getting better gear than actually making music. My GAS is dying down though; the only thing I want is an envelope filter and I feel I'll be done.

That's what they all say lol.

1. Mine would be that I have an incredible ear for tone, but I can't do much about it because of my current amp... it sucks ass.

2. I never have enough money for the gear I want.

3. When other players who are just starting out/ are much worse players than me (no offense to them) have much better gear than me, just cuz their parents are rich and buy them everything they want. Pisses me off.
****ing everything annoys me about gear. ****ing guitars with bad soldering, amps with bad tubes, amps that don't sound the way I want them to when I want them to, ****ing rusty strings, noisy pickups, ****ing quiet pickups, fuzzes that are too fuzzy , fuzzes that aren't fuzzy enough, scratchy pots, my ****ing tremolo pedal that seems to not only boost around 3k, but seems to filter everything below 1k, ****ing humbuckers, single coils.

****ing guitar annoys me. I should really find a new hobby.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
2. I never have enough money for the gear I want.

Makes it all the sweeter when you get it yourself though. As far all my stuff has been loaned to me by my parents, and to be honest, I'm not as grateful as I should be for it. I haven't saved up for it, I've just got to pay it back gradually.

I was more grateful for the DS-1 I bought with my own money I earnt by promoting gigs than the XPT700 or the HT-5 my parents bought for me.
^

About the string changing thing...

if you cant change one set of strings, i doubt you can properly tie your shoes...
just sayin'

try stringing 9 guitars in a day, all with differing scale lengths and tremelo systems.
Quote by Juadafi
Makes it all the sweeter when you get it yourself though. As far all my stuff has been loaned to me by my parents, and to be honest, I'm not as grateful as I should be for it. I haven't saved up for it, I've just got to pay it back gradually.

I was more grateful for the DS-1 I bought with my own money I earnt by promoting gigs than the XPT700 or the HT-5 my parents bought for me.

That's true, I do feel very proud that I saved up for half a year for a $200 guitar. But it's the fact that it took half a year to save up $200

It's kind of weird though, when I started saving up for a Little Giant, I've gotten $283 in a matter of like, 3 weeks
That edwards doesnt have a US retailer.... god damn it gibson!!!!
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by customisbetter
no he was a typical punk rocker and just ripped them out of the guitar.

Quote by imgooley
****ing everything annoys me about gear. ****ing guitars with bad soldering, amps with bad tubes, amps that don't sound the way I want them to when I want them to, ****ing rusty strings, noisy pickups, ****ing quiet pickups, fuzzes that are too fuzzy , fuzzes that aren't fuzzy enough, scratchy pots, my ****ing tremolo pedal that seems to not only boost around 3k, but seems to filter everything below 1k, ****ing humbuckers, single coils.

****ing guitar annoys me. I should really find a new hobby.

Last edited by Mitchell? at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

3. When other players who are just starting out/ are much worse players than me (no offense to them) have much better gear than me, just cuz their parents are rich and buy them everything they want. Pisses me off.

actually all of my friends who are like this have spiders (half stacks, except one has a full stack), they also have like 400-600$ guitars, needless to say my little SS kustom actually sounds on par with them, even with my LP special.

anywho, thats kind of mine... even though I'm no prodigy, I play cleanly, unlike the entire we play metalcore guitarist population of my local area
when one of my connector cables (the one for pedals) starts F'n up and makes that horrible buzzing sound in the middle of practicing.

GODDAMMIT, I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by bdof
when one of my connector cables (the one for pedals) starts F'n up and makes that horrible buzzing sound in the middle of practicing.

GODDAMMIT, I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

O yeah, like it sounds like the cable is just touching something, like it thinks its not plugged in? It always happens to me when I have my amp turned up loud and then the buzzing is ****ing loud and it makes me wanna rip my eyes out!
Page 1 of 5