hey guys my brother was looking at some 5 string basses and one of his mates offered to sell him one of his
one is a warwick bolt-on 5 sting thumb
and the other is a G&L L-2500
he plays heaps of different stuff funk jazz pop some progressive stuff and metal (huge Wooten and flea fan)
he plays a warwick double buck at the moment through a gallien krueger 700RB
anyway i was just wondering if you guys had any opinions on these basses as to which would be better or even just any experience with either that would help
cheers
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

any model name/number for the warwick?

can't go wrong with them tbh, never played a G&L though.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
In general, Warwicks tend to be very good.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
no im not too sure about a model number i guess it would a 2006 - 2007 model

if that helps at all
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

yeah he loves his double buck

hahaha yeah i think he is leaning towards the warwick but the G&L sounds pretty good
anyone played a L-2500

A mate of mine had a US G+L some years ago (can't remember the model number, sorry), and it was a damn fine bass. It was what you'd expect for Leo's second post-Fender attempt to better his original designs; refined, versatile and very 'natural' feeling.
As your bro's already got a 'Wick, why not get him to get something a bit different, i.e., the G+L?
yeah well that why he was thinking (as am I) that the G&L might be a good idea
is there much tonal difference between the thumb and the double buck
does body contour change how the sound resonates? (nooby question sorry)

There is a huge tonal difference between the Thumb and $$. The $$ sounds like a very good impression of a real Warwick, but still sounds good in its own right. The Thumb is a growly metal machine. That bass has more natural 'snarl' to its sound than I've ever heard in any other bass. The quality is top notch on any Warwick, too. It gets two thumbs up from me, no pun intended.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'd get the L-2500, though they do sound fundamentally different, the two Warwicks can't get as old school sounding as a G&L. and the two different basses should not only be good, but they should fill the void left by the other. ex-

Fender P- warm, old school, middy, thumpy, good for slap
good complement?
Ibanez SR- scooped, modern, clanky
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
cool thanks guys
so the G&L is going to be very versatile
and the thumb? like a big brother to the $$
is the thumb bass versatile?
oh and what would compliment his rig better cause i dont think he would be buying a new amp for quite some time

You can't go wrong with either of them really. He's already got a 'wick, which is much different to the $$ but it's still a warwick and they have a distinct tone that comes through almost always. Besides, most of yoru tone comes from your amp so i would try the G&L.

Thumb bass is very versatile.
Which bass does your brother like, TS
warwick...hands down/thumbs up. I think that the $$ can cover any range that the G&L can, with the coil taps and active eq....not to mention having the passive option (or 24 frets). Honestly, if he loves his current Warwick...duh.

Secondly, (this is from personal opinion) every time i have tried out anything other than a Warwick, like a Schecter, Fender, Epiphone, or even Ibanez BTBs and prestige's...i have found that they lack the Warwick growl. No matter what style of music you play, that growl adds color and flavour to any mix, floating perfectly as a sort of clean overtone for the entire band.
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
he is leaning towards the warwick
what would they be worth 2nd hand good condition
in aus dollar

Quote by Bass First
1 grand at best, 2 grand at worse.

Idk really. Our prices are retarded

They could be anything up to $4000 new.
I hate this country sometimes...
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Spaz91
I've watching and listening to $$ and Thumbs for a while now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxITFate5Y possibly the best sound i have ever heard) and while I would go for the Thumb given the choice I still think the $$ can't be beaten for funk and metal, not even by a Bongo.

always liked me slappins with a passive bass meself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
thanks for all your help guys
looks like he will be getting the thumb

Quote by gilly_90
They could be anything up to $4000 new.
I hate this country sometimes...

Yeah it's crazy

Anyway, on topic, can't of gone wrong with either so bravo