Hey guys,

I've been playing guitar for 12 years now and I've seemed to hit a wall. I just hear songs now that I like but ... they're to repetitive, or too simple. I just don't have the urge to learn them like I used to.

This makes me seem like a pompous fool, but really I'm not. I'm actually quite humble when it comes to my guitar playing skills. It just seems like I've learned all that people want to hear and now it takes a day to learn this or a couple of hours for that.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue? I still practice scales and songs daily, it just seems like it's getting old. I need something to revamp my repertoire.

Any suggestions? I play pretty much everything but Metal (used to but grew out of it I guess) and Jazz. It just seems like I've hit a wall.
-= Murdox =-
Write your own material!

And play jazz. Its fun and really useful. Try songwriting, possibly. Learn another instument. The bass guitar maybe? Piano? Get into music, not just guitar. Its what i did, anyways.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
yep i picked up keys and bass guitar. After a few months between them to i came back right into to guitar like **** into pussy.
Drums are really fun too, and a good stress reliever :P
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
Quote by original_idiot
Piano? Get into music, not just guitar. Its what i did, anyways.

Learning piano has really changed and improved my guitar playing and songwriting ability. I'd definitely recommend it.
I think the problem is that I hear songs and I just know it's too easy to keep me interested ... I want some technicality, I really enjoy some RHCP songs for that.
-= Murdox =-
There is absolutely no way at 21 you have even touched the tip of what you could know. Learn different things. If you don't know Jazz that's a whole 'nother genre that will take years to master.
I would suggest learning jazz.

I play heaps of jazz, and am in two jazz bands at school. I don't like to listen to it, though I do enjoy playing it. You might be in the same sitation, not sure.

Jazz has also helped my playing A LOT.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
If stuff's getting easy, then there is a simple solution - find harder sh*t to play. Give Paginnini's 5th or 24th a whirl, if that's something you would enjoy. They both transfer very well to guitar, and will present a major challenge to virtually anyone - requiring you to chip away at it day after day.
Take a break from playing and try something else. As peeps have already said, try another instrument.
Or learn jazz like everyone else suggested. That stuff is really insane. Fusion players are sometimes far more technical and much more tasteful then their metal colleagues.
Quote by Iriathz
I would suggest learning jazz.

I play heaps of jazz, and am in two jazz bands at school. I don't like to listen to it, though I do enjoy playing it. You might be in the same sitation, not sure.

Jazz has also helped my playing A LOT.

you must have a hard time playing jazz, then.
I'm not saying I'm great, hell I think I could stand infinite improvement. I'm just wondering how to approach this.
-= Murdox =-
I also think you should play some harder songs. What are some of the hardest songs you play? If you don't play any Joe Satriani or Steve Vai songs, you should try that.

You could also try classical guitar.
I understand what you're going through. I'm just now getting back into playing guitar after (pretty much) not playing for three years. The reason I got back into it is the same reason I started. I went back and found my roots. The reason I started to play guitar (laugh at me or not) was because of Pantera and Dimebag Darrell. I had stopped listening to Pantera for quite some time and it got to the point where I barely played. About a month ago I put my iPod on in my car and decided to give Vulgar Display of Power a listen. As soon as I heard the opening riff in Mouth for War I just got ****ing pumped and wanted to play guitar. I've been playing flat out ever since.

Rediscover your roots, it worked for me. Who's to say it won't work for you?

EDIT: Oh ****, a Newf helping out a fellow Newf!
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
I'd say hardest I play would be Mood For a Day by Yes. Well I'll search aruond and find something,
-= Murdox =-
Quote by Murdox
Any suggestions? I play pretty much everything but Metal (used to but grew out of it I guess) and Jazz. It just seems like I've hit a wall.

Then play jazz and metal.
Piano then double guitar!!!
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.
lol alright people. Thanks for the suggestions I'll take a look around.
-= Murdox =-
go into blues and jazz, it will allow alot of room for your own improved licks and solos
Listen to more music, write more music. Just chill out with a cuppa tea and stick on something new - Robyn, Bela Bartok, Meshuggah, Victor Wooten, Pendulum...

All artists you probably don't listen to and a great place to start, imo.