well i was looking around the web to find out if it did any real damage, since i just bought a bottle of Dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil, and only was more confused.

some people said that it only darkens your fretboard, and others said that it only does damage if it is unfinished.

so does it do any damage to your fretboard? and if it does, how do i find out if my fretboard is unfinished?
All maple fretboards are finished unless if you have a raw neck, do not put lemon oil on your maple fretboard, just wipe it with a wet towel then dry it to get gunk out.
Is your fretboard kinda shinny, and if you were to shine a light on it, would you see the reflection?
Don't use any oils on the finished maple! The fret tangs penetrate the finish any any oil you apply may work its way under the fret and into the wood! If it gets under the finish it may cause it to lift or loosen.
Moving on.....
Quote by BSM123456789
how do i find out if my fretboard is unfinished?
If it's maple, it's got a finish on it. No brand would ever put out a maple neck without a hard finish on it. Warmoth are the only company that will do it, but they warn you if you order a maple neck without a hard finish it will invalidate all warranties. You never use maple without a finish, never.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If it's maple, it's got a finish on it. No brand would ever put out a maple neck without a hard finish on it. Warmoth are the only company that will do it, but they warn you if you order a maple neck without a hard finish it will invalidate all warranties. You never use maple without a finish, never.

Never? Never say never

Ernie Ball MusicMan uses unfinished necks in the sense that there is no hard finish on it, only a mix of wax and oil applied. The neck on my Kramer 5150 is unfinished also in the same way, with wax and oil applied only. Smoothest necks you'll ever feel.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^That's still a finish. Unfinished maple necks refer to maple necks which are left bare. No finish or any sort of dressing applied at all.

You don't need to condition the fretboard on a maple neck. If you want to clean it get a barely damp rag to scrub the dirt off and wipe it dry with a napkin or anything that will absorb all the moisture on the neck.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Unfinished necks are referred to as necks with just a oil/wax finish on them also. If you read what Flibble said he specifically wrote 'hard finish', oil/wax is not a hard finish. In the early 80's Kramer used to sell American made Pacers without a hard finish applied to the necks on selected models. Also I believe the first few versions of the Baretta was like this also. The Kramer collectors refer to them as 'unfinished necks'

Not getting off topic, for the original poster never use lemon oil on maple necks or fingerboards. Its for rosewood only.
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Sep 28, 2009,
Indeed, oils and waxes are not hard finishes.

However, they are still a finish, and using them does not mean the neck is 'unfinished'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I understand what you're saying guys, but an oil/wax finish doesn't really protect the neck and if you did that to a Warmoth neck they'd void the warranty I'm sure.
Quote by Heminator89
I want to go on an off tangent but my guitar (Ibanez RG 350 EX) has a basswood neck. Which oil will you guys recommend for that?

basswood body, but with a 3 piece maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. maybe the EX is not your model if you have a maple fretboard. cause i'm lookin a the spec sheet on the ibanez site right now.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"