So I was pondering going to my local guitar shop to have them lower my action on my guitar by having the bridge sanded down, but the more I think about it, I feel I can do this my self. I would just like to know if anyone has a good link on a step by step process, or any thing to be careful about during the process. thanks in adance.
use some soldering iron. actully no that will run your guitar. but is it acoustic, or electric?
Quote by Suffrin
I've never heard of it. But Ironically, my highschool sports teams were known as the Logan Berries.

Minecraft Name : Selibucaz2
^ Fail selibucaz... I don't have any advice but i was thinking about doing the same with my takamine. If its an expensive guitar I would just let the guitar shop do it otherwise just run the bottom along some high grit sand paper. Good luck...
Any reason you need to sand down the bridge to adjust the action?
Couldn't you just adjust the truss rod?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
I was thinking about doing that, but I hear thats not really the correct way to do it. should I just use the truss rod first and see if that works, then go to the bridge?
I'm no luthier, but that's probably what i would do.

When i lowered my action, I got a marker pen and marked a line on the part of the truss rod you adjust, so i could allways go back to the origional layout if i messed up.

This is what i'd do if i were you.

EDIT: Even if this doesn't work, I wouldn't suggest sanding down the bridge mate.
Theres just to much to loose. I'm not sure how easy somthing like that would be (It doesn't seem that hard in my head) But it just doesn't seem worth it to me, if you mess up, you mess up your guitar.

Udjust the truss rod, if that doesn't work. Take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Better safe than sorry i guess.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Last edited by Jiggzy.UK at Jul 26, 2009,
not a bad idea, would I see the results instantly when adjusting truss rod?
Yeahp.

I should think so.

Just be carefull with it, baby steps.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
yeah your right, thanks, I will just adjust the truss rod slowly, see how that works. the action is just so damn High i cant even play it after playing my electric, haha. thanks again
No no no no...how did this misconception start? For some reason, all these people think that the truss rod is what adjusts action, which simply isn't true. The truss rod changes the bow (curvature) of the neck.

Adjustments on the action of an acoustic are done by sanding or building up the saddle or slits in the nut. It is possible to do this yourself, just takes some reading to learn how and the patience to be really careful with it if you don't know what you are doing. For me to explain it here would take way too long, but there are plenty of online articles on the topic.

I suggest taking it to a repairman if you don't want to get into repair yourself...but if you want to start in luthiery then I suppose you'd have to do this at one point or another. You will need (at the very least) a set of nut files. Most likely a bunch of other stuff, but it can get expensive, and I've done it with only a set of nut files and a few other basic tools (even though I don't advise it :P)

If you are doing it yourself, then I suggest reading/learning about it first.

Online Videos (watch all): http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_2698_setting-up-acoustic-guitar.html

Basic Articles: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Repairs2.htm (just tells you why you do what you do, not really how)
http://www.theguitarfiles.com/modules.php?name=AvantGo&file=print&sid=97 (slightly more indepth on actually doing it, but still basic. Addresses why truss rods don't adjust action...and you need to stop turning that gorram thing as soon as you have a problem (sorry, pet peeve))

Book (GET THIS...ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT ON THIS LIST): "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. This is an amazing book...it really is. Somehow he tells you the basics of everything without getting the layman lost in the process. If you want to get into repair, you NEED this book. Read the section on acoustic adjustment in this before doing it to a guitar though, as its the only really indepth thing I've listed here.

So yeah...I suggest getting it done by a professional...but if your like me and feel the need to do it yourself...then buy a set of files (at least), that book, and get working
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
Last edited by ReChord at Jul 26, 2009,
^ What he said. You can't just adjust the truss rod without knowing what you're doing.

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/LowerAction/loweraction01.html

Another rather basic article that goes over lowering action at the saddle.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
thanks, I had a feeling the truss rod wouldnt really do anything, i knew it adjusted the bow, but i was thinkking that would almost make the action uneven.
captivate, thanks for that link, I can definitely do this at home - any recommendations on a good height tho, his 7/64 seemed like it would be a little high still
Just try shaving off a little at a time. You don't have to do it all at once.
Equipment:

That's the key. If you take off too much, you'll be learning how to shape a saddle from a blank instead.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^ I hope to God that you're joking.
Equipment:

Sorry about that mate, i messed up.

I just brought a Luthier book on ebay today so i can learn a thing or two about my guitar.

See, i assumed your truss rod adjusted your action because when i had fret buzz, i adjusted my truss rod. So i just assumed this raised my strings away from the frets.

Again, sorry. Next time i'll check before mouthing off.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Quote by ILLcoyote
WTF IS TROSS ROD?

The object is called a truss rod and what it is and does has been explained here and many other places thousands of times. A quick UG or Google search will illuminate you.
....please.. SLAP yourself. it was never explained what truss rod is. After hearing you guys yapping about action, i'm sure it can mess with ur action. I still dont kno what it is. And a quick google search led me to confusion. I'm not too good with google so after a LONG search on it, i've found what u guys should of just said in the first place instead of writting those pointless words.

"It's a thing inside the guitar, through the soundhole, that you can adjust to mess with the neck bend to adjust the string height." or something like that based on what I've found. Hmm, still seems complex though. I ALWAY, for 5 years of playing, wondered what the heck that little metal tool that comes with the guitar was about.
So... You still don't know what it is, but you're sure it can mess with your action?
Equipment:

In a way, form what I've read, yes. It shouldn't be used specifically to mess with your action, but it CAN affect how high your strings are. adjusing the truss rod should only be used to straighten your neck.

If that's wrong, tell me what truss rod is. Since you're saying I don't know. Well, I just found out so, i'm still a noob at truss rod eh?

You're just like that other fool, SLAP YOURSELF. HARD. If you ain't gonna correct me or tell me anything, then just slap yourself. It's just frustrating going through a dozen posts just to get to the point.
Last edited by ILLcoyote at Jul 29, 2009,
Quote by ILLcoyote
....please.. SLAP yourself. it was never explained what truss rod is. After hearing you guys yapping about action, i'm sure it can mess with ur action. I still dont kno what it is. And a quick google search led me to confusion. I'm not too good with google so after a LONG search on it, i've found what u guys should of just said in the first place instead of writting those pointless words.

Regarding "it was never explained what truss rod is."
Quote by ReChord
No no no no...how did this misconception start? For some reason, all these people think that the truss rod is what adjusts action, which simply isn't true. The truss rod changes the bow (curvature) of the neck.

Regarding "i'm sure it can mess with ur action. I still dont kno what it is."
Quote by captivate
So... You still don't know what it is, but you're sure it can mess with your action?

Like I said. Maybe you should slap yourself. Fool.

I kid.

But yes. You sort of understand it. The truss rod is a metal rod inside the neck that adjusts the angle of the neck to the body of the guitar. It can raise action... sort of... not quite, however, that's not what it's for(which is why we tell people it's not meant to raise action.). So if you have an action problem, moving the truss rod isn't the solution. The truss rod is for bowing(angle) problems ONLY.
Equipment:

Read what you just said. Slap yourself AGAIN!!! and HARD, please....HARD. Telling me the truss rod changes the curve if the neck doesn't tell me anything about what the heck it is. The whole time, I thought it was something located at the head/nut of the guitar. I didn't even know what it looked like (still don't know actually lol) or where to find it.

But yes. You sort of understand it. The truss rod is a metal rod inside the neck that adjusts the angle of the neck to the body of the guitar. It can raise action... sort of... not quite, however, that's not what it's for(which is why we tell people it's not meant to raise action.). So if you have an action problem, moving the truss rod isn't the solution. The truss rod is for bowing(angle) problems ONLY.

^that's what I said... Good job on re-wording though =]
though it's not meant to raise or lower action, it DOES mess with it whether you like it or not.
Quote by ILLcoyote
Read what you just said. Slap yourself AGAIN!!! and HARD, please....HARD. Telling me the truss rod changes the curve if the neck doesn't tell me anything about what the heck it is. The whole time, I thought it was something located at the head/nut of the guitar. I didn't even know what it looked like (still don't know actually lol) or where to find it.

^that's what I said... Good job on re-wording though =]

Its not Captivates job to tell you what things are. Not everyone is here just to answer to you.
Just let it go.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
edit: ^ how would I know how to find that? PFFF

Trying... but looks like neither of us wants to give up =P. I say, if you ain't gonna help me out, don't go asking me strange questions/comments after I asked a question.

But if everyone knows what something is, and there is one who is lost, there's nothing wrong with helping the guy out. I ain't too good with google or computers you know. The ONLY reason I joined UG was to be aided in whatever I may need, not to chill and chat. If 'not everyone is here to answer your question' thing, then look at all these posts/threads with questions and answers and think again.
Seriously, read it. That website is pretty much a one-stop shop for anything to do with acoustic stringed instruments and how they work.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Good Lord.
~cappy out
Equipment:

Haha, wow...your getting fired up over nothing aren't you? lol.

Quote by ILLcoyote
And a quick google search led me to confusion. I'm not too good with google so after a LONG search on it, i've found what u guys should of just said in the first place instead of writting those pointless words.

Either way though, I sort of doubt your search was as exhausting as you said it was. Just because if you type "truss rod" into google, then the very first link it gives is the wikipedia page, which has everything you need to know. It gives you what the truss rod does, who first made it, what it is made out of, which instruments use them and why, and the common locations on various guitars.

If you searched it you would have found it. The only thing that isn't covered on the first link is adjusting it yourself. But that happens to be covered on the 3rd link that google gives anyway.

But yeah man, chill out. Its really not that big of a deal, and we are only trying to help you learn. :P
Composer of Scores for Film/Video Games/TV/and More!
Contact me if you have a project that you need music of any style for!
and we are only trying to help you learn. :P
You mean learn to surf the google?

I did look into the wikipedia page but only took a couple seconds to look at it. The pictures were straight up misleading. It just showed me the neck and head of a guitar which made me think the truss rod was on the nut of the guitar (on acoustics). Now I've found out some electrics have it on the top like that. I mean, I already know what it does so to me, a 'quick' search is when I find a picture of it and it shows me the darn thing. "Oh, that's what it is". Looking on 'google images' made no sense.

Meh, I'm just tired of going through many posts to get to a point. I asked a question and got some weird answer back. I asked it again they told me to go to (again no answer) google. That's where I've found most of my info so far. I don't use google/the internet much so searching on google isn't really my first instinct. I just don't enjoy staying on the computer much, time flies here, I have things to do. Look at their answers/what they'd tell me.............
The truss rod is a metal rod that runs the entire length of the guitar neck. It bows the neck forward or backward to compensate for the string tension. You can adjust it with an allen wrench through the sound hole. It is that skinny black line just below the fretboard. As you tighten it, the fretboard will curve back (downward, in the picture below) slightly.

Make sense?
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 29, 2009,