I got a Lag acoustic a while ago and ive had no problems so far plays great and sounds nice too
hmm, Lag? Be careful. Judging by the name, it sounds like it might make you play slow.

No, I'm sorry, I have absolutely no experience with Lag, I suppose I'm not helping.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by WARNINGnimrod12
hmm, Lag? Be careful. Judging by the name, it sounds like it might make you play slow.

No, I'm sorry, I have absolutely no experience with Lag, I suppose I'm not helping.

beat me to it.
Quote by deadringer13
xjosheex, you have made a simple answer to it all haha

Quote by Pr0gNut
I hope he gets a blood disease and dies alone and screaming.

I mean that in the nicest way possible of course.
^^

I've tried a couple of the cheaper chinese-made ones (the electrics, not the acoustics). I thought they were pretty nice for the money. The 200 series ones were noticeably nicer, if they're selling them off really cheaply (say around £200), they might be worth considering. when i tried them they were about £400, with the 100 series about £200, and I thought they were fair/alright/average value at that- not amazing, but not terrible, kind of thing.

Haven't tried the french-made ones, they're meant to be nice, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by McCarthySFC at Jul 27, 2009,
Sorry to be a nuisance (:P) but does anyone have any opinion on the Epiphone Special II?

Also being sold off quite cheaply.
Quote by McCarthySFC
Sorry to be a nuisance (:P) but does anyone have any opinion on the Epiphone Special II?

Also being sold off quite cheaply.

No, just no. Don't get a Special II, not very good guitars
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
wow, that's excellent value on those lags.

anyway, going in order:

i haven't tried greg bennetts. I think they're kind of beginner models, but i'm not certain. Ditto the epiphone.

If you ask me, personally I'd go with one of those lags, assuming they play, feel and sound similar to the ones I've tried. You're getting an intermediate level (at least!) quality guitar for the price of a beginner guitar. I've tried the one with the ebony fretboard, the jm200, it's easily worth 230 euro if you ask me- i was pretty impressed with the one i tried and it was £420 (what's that, close to 500 euro?). i haven't tried the jv200, from the looks of it it just has the maple fretboard and different-coloured scratchplate, but i think it might be a bit more vintage in character. EDIT: yeah, it has different pickups, more vintage in character.

basically, if you play a wider range of stuff (and assuming the jv is the same quality to the jm i've tried), go with the jv model, if you play more modern metally type stuff, go with the JM. It's also worth pointing out that the JV is 100 euro cheaper, so that'd definitely be worth taking into consideration (as i said, assuming they're both the same quality). For 139 euro, that's verging on a crazy deal, it might be worth making sure there's not something wrong with them, that they're not B-stock, that kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
definitely, considering you're in dublin, you might as well.

Certainly that one at 130 euro has me intrigued, lol. I know i liked the jm version, and i have several guitars already with ebony boards, so i'd probably prefer the maple one. Just i haven't tried it, and a darn train ticket to dublin and back would cost me almost half the price of the guitar!

definitely check they aren't B-stock or similar- that'd be the main thing. Of course, they could just lie, so check it out thoroughly too. there's a good bit in the stickies about trying out guitars, written by jenny (jj1565).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well its Waltons, don't know if you're familiar with them, but they're definitely the most reputable music shop in the Republic.

Not a chance that they'd lie as such, just want to check the quality. Of course, in the little blurbs on the website, every guitar is said to be absolutely amazing, but from my experiences the lads in store are quite informative.
From what i remember, Total Guitar places Lag acoustics very highly recently in a few mid-level things, though those were the french made models i believe. Your best bet is probably to just go in and try them out a little, see what you think of them.
Got a lag in Waltons myself last year, an acoustic with a pickup. It was the only decent left handed guitar in the shop. Actually its better than decent, really nice sound and feels great to play its me baby
i *think* i've been in waltons before, it's the one which is quite a bit north of o'connell street, right? But i didn't try anything when i was in, so I don't know much about them other than they do exist.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i *think* i've been in waltons before, it's the one which is quite a bit north of o'connell street, right? But i didn't try anything when i was in, so I don't know much about them other than they do exist.

Yep, but theres a much bigger Waltons on the southside of the city.
ah, ok, thanks. I haven't been to that one.

i just realised that mccarthy also posted a link to the roxanne- i somehow missed it when i clicked the original links. It'd be worth a look too, might be a little less versatile than the HSS superstrats, but again it just depends on what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm just wondering, whats the story with the Squier Fat/HSS Strats?

I've been looking on eBay and in the Waltons online store, and they don't seem to have any. :-(

Its a guitar I'm really interested in, played it in a friends house, would buy it off him, but he uses it quite a lot.
no idea, i haven't really been on the lookout for them. I'd assume those lags would be quite a bit better (certainly the 200 series and above), based on the squiers i have tried, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, this probably sounds a bit off, as its not something I'm exactly in the know with but I'll throw it out anyway.

The Lag Roxanne, its got two HZ EMGS (correct me, but I believe thats a hard rock/metal type of sound?)

If I could pick up another pickup, most likely a single coil, what effect would it have on the sound? I just think I would like to the option of being able to add the lighter single coil sound.

Also, what would it cost? I have absolutely no idea how to install pickups.

In terms of amps, I don't need anything with too much wattage. I want it to have effects though (as in the dials), and a headphone socket is a MUST. What should I be looking for?
Quote by McCarthySFC
Ok, this probably sounds a bit off, as its not something I'm exactly in the know with but I'll throw it out anyway.

The Lag Roxanne, its got two HZ EMGS (correct me, but I believe thats a hard rock/metal type of sound?)

If I could pick up another pickup, most likely a single coil, what effect would it have on the sound? I just think I would like to the option of being able to add the lighter single coil sound.

Also, what would it cost? I have absolutely no idea how to install pickups.

In terms of amps, I don't need anything with too much wattage. I want it to have effects though (as in the dials), and a headphone socket is a MUST. What should I be looking for?

I didn't mean that.
haha

yeah, the emgs tend to be more aimed at hard rock and metal. those HZ ones are passive, and aren't just as aimed at metal as the active ones (the ones powered by batteries), but yeah, they're still pretty much orientated towards the heavier stuff.

The problem is, most single coils aren't the same size as humbuckers (and the odd one which is is normally a p90 in a humbucker case, and they sound pretty close to humbuckers anyway ), so that's going to be a nightmare of a swap, unless you happen to be a carpenter or something. Your best bet is to just buy a guitar which already has some single coils, such as the lag jet. You can do things like coil splits or parallel wiring on humbuckers which'll make them sound a bit more like single coils, but it still won't be as good as true singles. It's the kind of thing you'd do if you need humbucker tones 90% of the time, but occasionally need a more single-coil type of tone. It's not really what you want if you need a lot of single-coil tones as well. If that makes sense.

what type of music do you think you'll be playing? off the top of my head, the roland cubes (either the microcube or the cube 30x, because the cube 15 and 20 don't have as many amp models, which are what you want for increased versatility) if you veer more towards metal and hard rock, and the vox valvetronixes if you veer more towards vintage stuff, classic rock etc., are normally worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi just to add a little on this i ordered the LAG jet jv200 from Waltons about 4 weeks ago for 140 euros in antigue blue online, i couldnt go by it as i had read the reviews and for some reason i was fascinated by the fact it had a coil split and it was that cheap, i have a korean tokai love rock als48 ( lovely guitar) and a cheap squire strat and i was looking for a strat tone ( couldnt be as bad as the squire even with a change to wilkinson vintage pickups) to my delight Waltons sent me out the Jet JM200 rather than the JV200 with the indian ebony fretboard and the emgs. This guitar has to be played to be appreciated, the EMGS are crystal clear, the neck plays beautifully and the lag high precission machine heads that is on all there models just means the thing does not go out of tune unlike the afforementioned squire. i am being honest and would class myself as an intermediate player and would recommend this guitar to anyone. compared to the Tokai which i play as much, the LAG is a slightly better instrument but i havnt got round to upgrading the Tokai mk 4's with some duncans
I bought one of the old Arkane series a few years ago, made in France; it was my first guitar, and I still use it, just added some new pick-ups and had it re-fretted(+serious set-up).
I'm fully satisfied, with the right pick-ups you can get some pretty cool tone from them; you save money and don't sacrifice much quality.
Quote by skeared
Hi just to add a little on this i ordered the LAG jet jv200 from Waltons about 4 weeks ago for 140 euros in antigue blue online, i couldnt go by it as i had read the reviews and for some reason i was fascinated by the fact it had a coil split and it was that cheap, i have a korean tokai love rock als48 ( lovely guitar) and a cheap squire strat and i was looking for a strat tone ( couldnt be as bad as the squire even with a change to wilkinson vintage pickups) to my delight Waltons sent me out the Jet JM200 rather than the JV200 with the indian ebony fretboard and the emgs. This guitar has to be played to be appreciated, the EMGS are crystal clear, the neck plays beautifully and the lag high precission machine heads that is on all there models just means the thing does not go out of tune unlike the afforementioned squire. i am being honest and would class myself as an intermediate player and would recommend this guitar to anyone. compared to the Tokai which i play as much, the LAG is a slightly better instrument but i havnt got round to upgrading the Tokai mk 4's with some duncans

thanks for the review, sounds good, glad you're happy with it. I haven't got round to doing anything about one yet, as usual. I was thinking about taking a trip down to dublin to try one, but as i said, haven't got round to it yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Greg Bennett is an American design veteran of 30 years, operating out of his studio in Nashville. Available now at this music shop in Perth.

Recognising the need for good quality but economical guitars, he teamed up with the Samick factory to achieve his goal and his guitars are now in the top 10 selling brands throughout the world.
robin hood internet service providers

The Samick factory has been manufacturing musical instruments since 1958. The sourcing of the distinctive tone woods that make up the guitars, together with the special caliber electronics and hardware ensure that Samick produce some of the highest standard guitars at an economical level.