I just got a new acoustic, and the thing is kind of bright. I'd like to even out the sound a little bit by getting some mellow sounding acoustic strings. I'd like the gauge to be light or medium, because I'm more used to electric guitar, but other than that, I just want a warm/mellow sound and long life. The guitar is an Ibanez EW50MPSENT, with a solid monkey pod top, ebony bridge and fretboard, and it's an acoustic-electric. Any help is appreciated.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I personally use D'addario Chrome Flatwound strings. They are a little different in texture (super easy to slide) but are nice and mellow. They have a decent life as well
-= Murdox =-
i think if you leave the strings a while, they'll go duller in tone naturally, but if you wanted a more mellow sounding string, i heard martin strings are good for that sort of tone.
Let the strings break in for a few days and see how it is.
Some mellower strings... Dean Markley Alchemy Gold Bronze, DR Sunbeams, DR Rare, Martin FX, Martin SP+
If you want really mellow you could try the D'addario Flat Tops or the Silk and Steel strings.
the d'addario silk and steel are a good bet

i have them on my guild M20 and get some gourgeous nick drake sounds
Black Diamonds sound very nice and balanced after a few days, I would give them a try.
Martin SP Light or Ultra Lights also have a very good tone and there not as high as the Black Diamonds.
Alot of Ibanez acoustics come with 80/20 strings, just try some Phosphor bronze ones.
Call me Duncan.

Nearly always have D'addario EXL110 strings instock - just ask!

Custom made guitar slides available - choose the glass, length etc.. Engraving availible. PM or email for more info.

SALE

Welsh UG'er!!
the silk and steels and black diamonds extra light phosphor bronze are also very good bets for a little less brightness. phosphor bronze strings are less bright in general, and in my experience extra light strings seems to be a little less bright than lights or mediums.

something else that would get rid of some of the brightness would be to change to a real bone nut and saddle.