Hey, I feel the need for a better amp, especially since I've gotten my new guitar. I want to make it scream and apparently a SS isn't going to make that happen. I also don't know the most about amps so I thought that it would be a smart move to come here before shopping on my own.

My guitar has the Seymour Duncan JB/'59 passive humbucker set.

I play all kinds of metal, but some decent cleans are a must. When I say all kinds of metal I mean from 80's thrash to modern brutal death metal.

My budget isn't certain atm, but if we can do under $500, new or used, I would be happy.

I have no preference to brands, if that matters.

Thanks guys
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by gregs1020
http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/1279231706.html Try that. $425. May need pedal help depending on your idea of tones. Or check your local clist. What is used in the usual stores?

That actually happens to be my local clist right there. I wont be able to check my local shops until about a month (working out of state this summer). But when I do get back home I want to have a good idea of what to look for. The Mesa Boogie looks good though, not much bigger than what I have now but I want tone not sound so its cool.

Used Ampeg VH140C.
Used Line 6 Flextone.
Used Bugera 333XL or 6262.
Used Peavey Ultra.
I think if you got a good overdrive pedal, a Peavey VK would work. Your best bet would probably be either a Peavey Windsor Studio, which is often compared to a hot rodded JCM900, or a B-52 AT-112, called a poor man's Mesa. Also look at Bugera's, im not sure about the price.
Thanks for all the stuff to look at. What should I be looking for in an amp in order to get what I want? I feel I know guitar lingo pretty well but amp talk isn't exactly a language of mine.

Quote by qotsa1998
I think if you got a good overdrive pedal, a Peavey VK would work. Your best bet would probably be either a Peavey Windsor Studio, which is often compared to a hot rodded JCM900, or a B-52 AT-112, called a poor man's Mesa. Also look at Bugera's, im not sure about the price.

I think the cheapest Bugera combo is $600. Maybe. I'm not 100% sure.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by ChrisBW
I think the cheapest Bugera combo is $600. Maybe. I'm not 100% sure.

That's about right, but every store has some sale every week or so. So that can get knocked down.

Stores tend to give less off in negotiating these days and more in sales driven by corp offices. Just so you know.
Alrighty, but since everyone seems to like Bugeras around here I'll look around ebay for a decent price.

^Everyone does NOT love Bugeras around here
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by CullenT
^Everyone does NOT love Bugeras around here

Add me to the doesn't like bugera list as well.
Well they seemed like a popular option.

If you have a better suggestion than say so

Quote by leftyace
Well they seemed like a popular option.

If you have a better suggestion than say so

Doesnt like Bugera's......

Used Peavey Ultra, Triple or 5150
Ampeg VH140C or one of its clones if your worried about volume.
Not worried about volume here. I've got a pretty private place and my room is near soundproof so I can get as loud an amp as I want.

Get a used Peavey 5150, they are sooooo raunchy and raw, its amazing. They run around 700 dollars used, but if you can find one, they'll definitely be worth it. You'll need a chorus pedal to use for cleans cuz it doesnt do them very well. But the distortion is so responsive and yet clean, it sounds great. They're made to kick the **** out of Marshalls and theyre great for heavy type music, (ozzy, EVH, alice in chains, etc..).
The Peavey 5150 looks like what i'm looking for. I'm watching one on Ebay right now to see how high it goes. If I'm able to get one for some insanely low price I'll definitely snag it.

PEAVEY 5150/6505
PEAVEY ULTRA
PEAVEY XXX
LINE 6 VETTA

all used
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.