I have a Dean Razorback with a Floyd Rose and every time i use it at all the guitar goes horribly out of tune. I've tried adjusting it like the dean guitar techs told me but it still does it. If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
(Btw I'm not sure if this is where this thread should be but I didn't know where to put at so yeah...)
Is the locking nut....well, locked?
How old is the guitar? Are the trem knife edges worn?
Changed strings recently?
What did you exactly setup yourself as the Dean guitar techs said? Did you mess with the posts height? springs?

Don't take it to a tech yet. Save yourself a few bucks, and let's figure out what you have.
Quote by miguelpereira
Is the locking nut....well, locked?
How old is the guitar? Are the trem knife edges worn?
Changed strings recently?
What did you exactly setup yourself as the Dean guitar techs said? Did you mess with the posts height? springs?

Don't take it to a tech yet. Save yourself a few bucks, and let's figure out what you have.

the locking nut is locked...
Brand new razorback.
the edges arent worn.
new strings.
The guitar techs told me to change the tension of the springs until the floyd rose was level.
Go have it set up by a pro!
You don't really know what you're doing. And doing what you're doing could result in breaking or all-in-all ruining the FR.

At least if the pro breaks it he has to put in a new one for free.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Go have it set up by a pro!
You don't really know what you're doing. And doing what you're doing could result in breaking or all-in-all ruining the FR.

At least if the pro breaks it he has to put in a new one for free.

Unless you take a hammer on your guitar or overwork the truss you are not going to break anything more than strings -or tuners if you decide to either: a) tune your dbl-locking guitar w/the locking nut still tightened or b) unlock the nut with the tremolo still floating.

I changed the entire assembly on my IBZ from a crappy & tired Lo-ProII to a Schaller OFR and besides the pains in getting things right -namely spring location, qty & tuning- it was piece of cake. And I am not a tech...I just read a lot.

So, back to my line of questioning:

a) Did you change strings yourself? If so, did you allow them to stretch after a few days of playing before posting this? Did you change string gauge?
b) Have you double checked your string retaining blocks? Are they tight -but not too tight?
c) Is this an OFR or LFR with the trem block and claw directly attached to the springs?
d) Di you change your trem posts-height? If yes, did you do that with the trem blocked or floating?
Last edited by miguelpereira at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by miguelpereira
Unless you take a hammer on your guitar or overwork the truss you are not going to break anything more than strings -or tuners if you decide to either: a) tune your dbl-locking guitar w/the locking nut still tightened or b) unlock the nut with the tremolo still floating.

I changed the entire assembly on my IBZ from a crappy & tired Lo-ProII to a Schaller OFR and besides the pains in getting things right -namely spring location, qty & tuning- it was piece of cake. And I am not a tech...I just read a lot.

So, back to my line of questioning:

a) Did you change strings yourself? If so, did you allow them to stretch after a few days of playing before posting this? Did you change string gauge?
b) Have you double checked your string retaining blocks? Are they tight -but not too tight?
c) Is this an OFR or LFR with the trem block and claw directly attached to the springs?
d) Di you change your trem posts-height? If yes, did you do that with the trem blocked or floating?

a) Ichanged them and let them stretch
b)I checked the retaining block
c) It is a LFR and the trem block is attached directly to the spings
d) I didnt change the post height
Quote by JWG2007
a) Ichanged them and let them stretch
b)I checked the retaining block
c) It is a LFR and the trem block is attached directly to the spings
d) I didnt change the post height

Darn it you are no fun to work with j/k
Now seriously, the only things that will throw you out of tune on a dbl-locking trem:

1. Bad / worn knife edges and posts. This is easy to figure out. The pivot point for the tremolo needs to be as pristine as possible. Any friction or wear can make the tremolo unit to dig in / slide up or down it's original resting point.
2. Brand new set of strings still stretching.
3. Loose / worn string retaining blocks or adjustment screws (trem side).
4. Loose / worn locking nut and string retaining blocks (nut side).
5. Worn / old springs with inconsistent elasticity.

The extreme things would be:
1. Actual neck stress / bow -broken truss rod?! You'd notice this very quickly.
2. On a bolt-on: loose neck / body bolts. Perhaps this would be more difficult to notice.

I guess if you dare not take that sucker apart yourself and putting it back together checking every nut & bolt, you do need to take it to a tech.