I am considering replacing the pickups on my 1968 Gibson Melody Maker. Please, I've heard it before ("Don't replace those pickups, it'll ruin the value of the guitar!"), but this guitar is far from mint. I completely refinished it (with Tung Oil, it's a beauty!), overhauled all of the electronics except for the pickups(that's the pots, switch, and output jack), got vintage reissue Kluson tuners, and, to finish it off, threw on an official Bigsby. I love the awesome tone that I get from the one piece mahogany body and glued in mahogany neck, but the pickups bother me. They buzz like crazy(remember, I overhauled the electronics, so it can't be anything else) and they're pretty weak. New pickups would make this the best guitar money can buy in my opinion. And for under $800 total, too. So, I'm looking at buying a Custom Shop '54 (that's right, Fenders in a Gibson) in the neck and a Texas Special in the bridge. Click the names of the pickups for reference. Would these create buzz, since they're meant to be in a set of three?

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ ALL THAT:

Two single coils in a 68 Melody Maker. Would a Custom Shop 54(N) and a Texas Special(B) create buzz when together, since they're meant to be in a set of three?
In order to be hum-canceling when both pickups are selected, one of them needs to be RWRP (Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity). You can probably get a 54 RWRP that is designed for use as the middle pup in a strat.

And please, please post pics, I love Melody Makers and I love Bigsbys, so please, allow me to gawk.
your better off asking this in the Gear forum. this forum is more directed to actually installing, repairing, and building pickups, to what brand.

on another note, they will buzz because they are single coils, and without having a middle pickup, you will have buzz in all3 positions...unless you install one backwards, which i don't even know if you'd want to do. maybe try some noiseless or single-coil-sized humbucker pick-ups? idk, it all depends on what sound you want.

your also going to want to make sure that those pickups would even fit.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
wont those pups be f-spaced, therefore not line up properly with the strings of a gibson, therefore not get 100% of their potential output?
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by sk8freakrt
wont those pups be f-spaced, therefore not line up properly with the strings of a gibson, therefore not get 100% of their potential output?

potentially
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Well i was gonna saythat if you keep the originals in a safe place and sell them with the guitar the value would be intact, but you've already raped it through and through as far as value and vintage integrity is concerned. Good job.

Pics?
its been said already, but yeah.. you'll need a RWRP pickup in one of the positions to get a hum-cancelling position on the switch..

but +1 to pics, even though I wouldv'e voted for keeping it stock.. -.-
Sorry for the quality of the pics. Two of those are from when i was refinishing/rebuilding. For the record, I didn't just decide to add all of this stuff, it was completely unplayable when I acquired it (for only $300). Part of the reason I put the Bigsby was to cover those three dots from when someone filled in the holes for the original vibrato. That, and I like Bigsbys. Anyways, enjoy! BTW, that speaker cab in the background is homemade, around $50 minus the speakers.

EDIT: That last pic is a little skewed because I had to resize in MS Paint
Attachments:
photo (5) small 2.jpg
photo (6) small.jpg
During1small.jpg
During2small.jpg
Last edited by travistag at Jul 26, 2009,
Quote by cedricsmods
In order to be hum-canceling when both pickups are selected, one of them needs to be RWRP (Reverse Wound Reverse Polarity). You can probably get a 54 RWRP that is designed for use as the middle pup in a strat.

And please, please post pics, I love Melody Makers and I love Bigsbys, so please, allow me to gawk.

yes, one of the pickups has to be RWRP in order to get hum canceling when "both pickups together" is selected. this is the key issue.

the middle pickup of most modern strat setups is RWRP,also the neck of a telecster I think. they have to be RWRP with respect to each other - like, say you had two pickups and both were "RWRP", it still wouldn't be hum cancelling.
Quote by travistag
In '54, Strats had a 3-way switch. You could not select pairs of pickups. Just three choices of individual coils. All 3 pickups were wound in the same direction and had the same magnetic polarity. iirc they were South (up). We would refer to those as "normal" not RWRP.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Sorry for not providing any useful information. But, is it just the picture or is the neck on that guitar ridiculously long?
Quote by Chaosinborn
Sorry for not providing any useful information. But, is it just the picture or is the neck on that guitar ridiculously long?

Its the pic. I had to resize the pics to fit UGs standards, so that was my bad. No, its not a baritone or anything