The question that has been on my mind is:
Do well known, touring guitarists, have to switch their settings from clean to distorted manually, or does a tech person do it for them, at the correct spots in the song?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I'm still not wuite sure where it belongs
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
im pretty sure they'd use a footpedal for their amps, or use overdrive/distortion pedals...

or did you mean the actual settings of the amp?
Quote by Stud_Muffin
im pretty sure they'd use a footpedal for their amps, or use overdrive/distortion pedals...

or did you mean the actual settings of the amp?
This. And why would you have a roadie/tech guy change your settings if you can do it yourself? Unless you want to change settings while playing?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Sometimes there's a tech backstage who operates some sorts of modulation, or kicks a pedal on or off, but for the most part the guitarists handle everything from stompboxes or a midi foot pedal that's hooked up to rack gear.

As a band manager (who serves lots of other jobs, including tech/roadie because the bands are still small) it's my job to adjust the master volume on the guitar amps so that the two guitarists are at equal volumes. I also set their OD/EQ pedals in the studio, but that's a different story altogether.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jul 26, 2009,
Well i mean, like when a band such as Metallica plays a song like Fade to black, I never see Hetfield or Hammett do anything when it changes to the chorus. It just all of a sudden kicks in to distortion. I may not be looking hard enough though
Hey!Everyone!

im pretty sure they use a footpedal, at least that is what i have and i dont see any other way they could do it. or maybe the TECH PERSON does the PEDAL. that would exlain why you never see it
Most have a pedal.

Some what related story- For an entire song, the guitarist for Children of Bodom for to turn on his distortion.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
Quote by Smith22
im pretty sure they use a footpedal, at least that is what i have and i dont see any other way they could do it. or maybe the TECH PERSON does the PEDAL. that would exlain why you never see it

Yeah thats what i was saying...
Hey!Everyone!

eh, it probably depends on the band. does metallica normally have pedals on the stage with them? if they do then, yes they just flip the pedal. not that difficult. maybe for you though because you dont have a pedal,but im betting you can buy a switch pedal, that does that and only that