Okay well first of all, the song i got so far is on drop c, and there is this little part where i want a sweeping solo, the way im writing it the bass is just alternating between a G and an F (7th and 5th fret low e string) and the rhythm guitar will be just doing the same baic power chords over that cause i want to keep it simple for now, i want to sweep over that with just 2 different sweeping patterns following the change of chord pattern... the only problem is, I only know very basic music theory so i don't know how to do this, I'm writing my own material in order to expand my horizons but I got stuck here... help anyone?
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Sweep a chord that follows the scale and key of the rhythm.

If the rhythm is on G, just play a G chord, sweeping (by a scale your using for the song, for example, lets say your on the G minor scale, sweep a G minor chord.). At least, thats how I understand it.
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
learn more theory

/thread

uhh idk maybe just sweep G and F? i cant really help without knowing what key the rest of the song is in
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
it depends on what key the song is in and what type of chords they are (major/minor). Then just sweep pick the arpeggios. When I was learning theory I found it best to stay in standard tuning or drop D and stay within the keys of Cmaj/Am and Gmaj/Em but everyones different.

as for figuring out what the full chord is use the root, the 3rd and the 5th within the scale so find the g and f their 3rds (B and A if in Am) and their 5ths (D and C if in Am).

Hope this helps
Quote by xJuan91x
Okay well first of all, the song i got so far is on drop c, and there is this little part where i want a sweeping solo, the way im writing it the bass is just alternating between a G and an F (7th and 5th fret low e string) and the rhythm guitar will be just doing the same baic power chords over that cause i want to keep it simple for now, i want to sweep over that with just 2 different sweeping patterns following the change of chord pattern... the only problem is, I only know very basic music theory so i don't know how to do this, I'm writing my own material in order to expand my horizons but I got stuck here... help anyone?

Okay so you are playing in drop C...so you are likely playing in the key of Cminor.

The notes in the key of c minor are C D Eb F G Ab Bb

The chords in a minor key are:- 1 Minor Diminished Major Minor Major Major Diminished

So this means The Chords in the key are Cminor Ddiminished EbMajor FMinor GMajor AbMajor and Bb Diminished

So you can base your sweeps off of these chords

Take basic major minor and diminished shapes e.g. Minor

------------5-
---------6---
------7------
----7--------
5-8---------
-------------

..and move them to the right root note.

To choose what chord progressions to use, look up common chord sequences on google such as i, vi, ii, v, or use whatever chords are in the song or just pick what you think sound good.

In addition you can add 7th or 9th arpeggios etc and you can add anything in the theory police wont arrest you if its not in key. If it sounds good to you just do it.
You can make an arpeggio from any notes of a scale. I make up plenty of my own sweeps. Another way to do it is: Say you want a major sweep, Do 1st, 3rds, and 5ths or stuff like that. Just play around with them, you'll get what you want trust me. I've been working on sweeps for 2-3 years now and they're still not great.
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
Well initially, a "sweep" as we all like to say is what's called an Arpeggio, a pattern developed in Classical music that uses the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th notes in an 8 note scale.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Learn more theory.

Also, don't write a "sweeping solo," write a solo that happens to incorporate sweeping. So many modern guitarists get caught up in really long sweeping passages, and they tend to really grate on the ear eventually.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Learn more theory.

Also, don't write a "sweeping solo," write a solo that happens to incorporate sweeping. So many modern guitarists get caught up in really long sweeping passages, and they tend to really grate on the ear eventually.

well, the sweeping part will only be like 15 seconds long, the real solo is melodic

and thank you all for the replies, i'll see what i can do tonight =]
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom
Peavey Vypyr 75w