Page 1 of 9
The most annoying thing my mom tells people is that I learn songs by ear, even though I usually just use tabs. I try and correct her, but she would still go on about me learning by ear.

Though that really isn't that annoying, a more annoying thing is when people say I should get lessons so I can get better. I feel insulted.

EDIT: Adding that I hate it when I talk to fellow guitarists, that don't know ****, so I can't have a fulfilling conversation.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: I also hate it when people with no knowledge of guitars think Les Pauls are amazing, and that if you have one you are good. Then your friend gets overshadowed, even though he is almost as good....
Last edited by SecretAgentS at Jul 27, 2009,
That might actually be good advice.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Momentosis
That might actually be good advice.

If you are talking about the lesson thing, they usually say that after I play some stupid riff like SoTW. Hopefully it's just that they think that lessons make you amazing, even though it only teaches some theory and guitar riffs.
i hate it when people that have no experience with music say that you suck, that pisses me off.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
EDIT: Adding that I hate it when I talk to fellow guitarists, that don't know ****, so I can't have a fulfilling conversation.

same, happens all the time too
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Not really about my guitar playing, but I hate it when one of my friends calls my Dean ZX an Explorer. I always correct him and he says, "Yeah, well, they have the same shape so I just call it an Explorer."
Quote by SecretAgentS
If you are talking about the lesson thing, they usually say that after I play some stupid riff like SoTW. Hopefully it's just that they think that lessons make you amazing, even though it only teaches some theory and guitar riffs.

Lessons help immensely. I took lessons for a year, and I improved drastically.
"I can't hear anything."
When I'm practicing unplugged.

or

"Can't you play any faster?"
Every time my friend comes over, he expects me to know like ten new songs. Between two of his visits once, I spent all of my time just doing scales and learning some music theory. I told him I didn't know any new songs, and he's like "Man, you should practice more".

And every time somebody tells me I'm hitting random notes.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by crazy8rgood
"You're really good, man"

Pisses me off.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if you're not then I fully agree. I really do hate it when people tell me that.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
"Can you do Through The Fire And The Flames?"
"No."
"I can 5-star it on expert though"
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
"Play some ****in' AC/DC man. That's where its at."

Even though my username is Angus does not mean I'm on AC/DC's balls. I couldn't think of a name at the time and I was listening to AC/DC.

Another thing is when people tell me to play songs and I tell them I don't know them, I prefer to do my own thing, and they respond with "That's boring man, you need to learn some songs."
Last edited by \m/Angus\m/ at Jul 27, 2009,
I wish I would've taken lessons.
Knowing what you're playing and why it sounds good is very helpful.
Quote by Megavanseelamb
Not really about my guitar playing, but I hate it when one of my friends calls my Dean ZX an Explorer. I always correct him and he says, "Yeah, well, they have the same shape so I just call it an Explorer."

Sounds fair enough to me. You got an explorer there, brah.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
when people try and make shit better when its obviously good.

*plays cool thing* "oh man you could totally put like a thousand arpeggios in there that are totallty unneccesary but other than that you suck"
Go to real hardcore shows.
Quote by maidenfan15

And every time somebody tells me I'm hitting random notes.

are you?

because I don't know why someone would say that if you were playing coherently
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by Quark Soup
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but if you're not then I fully agree. I really do hate it when people tell me that.

I was being sarcastic. I love compliments.
Quote by SecretAgentS

This is an arrogant assumption created by the belief that one is one's own best teacher.

It is incorrect. Most musicians who have ever amounted to anything have taken a large number of lessons at some point.
Last edited by raincoffin at Jul 27, 2009,
"Great, Baylee, I just came. What the hell was that for?"

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
"play something i know."

no, just cause you listen to ****ty music doesn't mean i should be expected to know it
"Your just a monkey in a monkey suit, aww yeah!"-Piebald "Long Nights"
^^^ that is annoying 'can you play...' and its usually a piano track or a hip hop drum with bass track, you explain and say no and they think your blagging they're heads!

Or they finally ask you to play something with a guitar in you know, you start, 15 seconds in they start talking...
Quote by raincoffin
This is an arrogant assumption created by the belief that one is one's own best teacher.

It is incorrect. Any musician who has ever amounted to anything has taken a large number of lessons at some point.

Another arrogant assumption. You can't honestly think that's true.
"Play something"

when i rly dont feel like playing anything for you
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

You beat me to it. <_<
Quote by crazy8rgood
I was being sarcastic. I love compliments.

Hah, I figured that.

I like compliments...It's just that I don't consider myself "good". I always think there's more room to improve and I should be a lot better considering the amount of time I've been playing.
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

+1

Hendrix?
Page? (only took a couple lessons)
Clapton?
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

Arrogant in what way?

Of course there are autodidacts. You can be your own teacher, it is just extremely hard.

Edited post for "most", as it seems impossible to deal with absolutes around here.
Quote by <SpaceTime>
are you?

because I don't know why someone would say that if you were playing coherently

No. It's usually when I'm running through scales. People seem to think it's so easy to play guitar and if you hit random notes, it will sound good.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Quote by Quark Soup
Hah, I figured that.

I like compliments...It's just that I don't consider myself "good". I always think there's more room to improve and I should be a lot better considering the amount of time I've been playing.

I consider myself good, but I will ALWAYS believe there is room for improvement, and I always will, even if I get to the point where can play with more emotion then Gilmour, and play more notes per second then Malmsteen.

The compliments are just a bonus.
EVERY TIME i go to this elementary school to play for these snotty nosed kids for community hours they all say stuff like "I know one song you'll never be able to play, it's IMPOSSIBLE" and im like "what" and the kid says "Down with the sickness, disturbed is like such hardcore metal!!!"

And then I die a little inside.
Black then white are all I see,
in my infancy, red and yellow then came to be.
Quote by sam_brault
+1

Hendrix?
Page? (only took a couple lessons)
Clapton?

These people are fantastic musicians. They are not good because they were all self-taught; they were all self-taught because they had natural talent. Cause and effect are not the same thing.
Quote by piratemetalhead
"play Dragonforce"

i don't know, i kind of like it when people say that, it gives me an excuse to kill them...
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Quote by raincoffin
Arrogant in what way?

Of course there are autodidacts. You can be your own teacher, it is just extremely hard.

Edited post for "most", as it seems impossible to deal with absolutes around here.

It is not hard to be your own teacher. It just takes dedication and a little practice. It might take longer, but big whoop.
And anyways, it will be easier on my parents' wallets, as my family is in debt right now.