I just bought a vintage '65 Ampeg Gemini covered in diamond blue tolex. It's in great shape but could use a good cleaning to remove surface dirt.

I've read threads suggesting that ArmorAll is a good way to do this. Is this true? Can it damage the tolex? If not, what's the correct way to do this?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Tolex is vinyl and Armor All is a leather and vinyl cleaner. Sounds like a round peg going into a round hole to me.
Well, the tolex on this amp is 45 years old. Figured it was worth asking to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Is it a cleaner or just something that shines up an already-cleaned surface? Someone said he thought there were two different offerings from ArmorAll.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Well, the tolex on this amp is 45 years old. Figured it was worth asking to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Is it a cleaner or just something that shines up an already-cleaned surface? Someone said he thought there were two different offerings from ArmorAll.

http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=8&main_group=0&category_index=protectants

That'll shine it up.

Just use dish soap and water to clean the surface if there is **** caked on it.
BTW, if you're worried about the age of the vinyl: My uncle had a '65 Mustang (the car) with vinyl seats. Some Armorall does not hurt old vinyl. The only thing you've got to worry about is cracks/scratches in it.
Why not get a higher quality product since it is a nice vintage piece? ArmorAll is like the squier of the auto detailing world.
Quote by M Power
Why not get a higher quality product since it is a nice vintage piece? ArmorAll is like the squier of the auto detailing world.

Quote by M Power

Now I'm thinking I'll just stick with mild soap and warm water. The more I think about it, the more it seems like "cheating" to use modern ArmorAll on vintage tolex.
Quote by Armchair Bronco
Now I'm thinking I'll just stick with mild soap and warm water. The more I think about it, the more it seems like "cheating" to use modern ArmorAll on vintage tolex.

I sure hope none of the guitars, cables, tubes, caps, fuses, or pedals plug into it were made in this or the past decade, then.
^

Goolz, you're awesome. Pixelated beer for you
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Funfact: Armorall was invented in 1972.
Quote by imgooley
I sure hope none of the guitars, cables, tubes, caps, fuses, or pedals plug into it were made in this or the past decade, then.

I'm heading over to eBay now to see if I can find some NOS soap and bottled water from the mid 1960's. Mustn't "cheat".

Cheating or not, I don't want my vintage amp to feel (or look) like a greased pig. IIRC, ArmorAll leaves behind a slippery residue, doesn't it?
Quote by Armchair Bronco
I'm heading over to eBay now to see if I can find some NOS soap and bottled water from the mid 1960's. Mustn't "cheat".

Cheating or not, I don't want my vintage amp to feel (or look) like a greased pig. IIRC, ArmorAll leaves behind a slippery residue, doesn't it?

Not if you wipe it off (like the instructions..... instruct).
Oh, and I'm not advocating armorall in any way, by the way. Just answering the questions asked.
I use ArmorAll on my amps all the time. Gets those little white scuff marks off as well and leaves it looking more "new" than a new amp ever would. Just make sure to wipe it off with a dry cloth after you apply and spread it around a bit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com