So ive read up on a fair bit of theory but basic intervals still catch me out and confuse my brain:-

so i understand a minor triad is based off a root flattened third and fifth

and to determine what these 3 notes are you look at the notes in the key so Cmajor would be CEG for a C major chord so it must be C Eflat and G for C minor. For A minor key the chord of Aminor would be A C E ...but there are no sharps of flats in Aminor key, so if you flattened the C it would but cant be A B and E

Im getting confused between keys and intervals. I think what is also confusion me is people generically say 'a third' but this doesnt take into account any key or whether it is a major or minor 3rd.
Quote by Defphones
For A minor key the chord of Aminor would be A C E ...but there are no sharps of flats in Aminor key, so if you flattened the C it would but cant be A B and E

wut?

wth is this supposed to mean.
I think there needs to be a thread for Intervals alone. There is a thread everyday. Two today
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
A to C already is a minor third without the need to introduce accidentals. The number of scale degrees encompassed gives the generic interval name (we have A B and C, so it's some kind of third), and the physical span determines if it's major or minor. There are three semitones from A to C, which makes that third a minor third (due to there being four semitones separating a major scale's root and third).
You wouldn't need to diminish the third, since the key is already minor.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
TS, the triad is based off the MAJOR scale of the root. A Major is A C# E, you would flatten the C# to a C. Thise intervals are based off the major scale of the chord name your looking for. just like G minor. the G major scale would be G A B C D E F# G, based off that, youd have G B and D, but thats G major. to get minor, flatten the third, to have G Bb and D

What you did was take the A minor chord from the C major scale. you would get the intervals from the A MAJOR scale, not C major
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic