I've been trying to decide on a new amp to get around that price range, and was looking at either the ValveKing or a Vypyr Tube 120. Would one of those be best for me? I play Metallica, some classic rock, blues, and alternative.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 27, 2009,
Personally I thought all the Valvekings I've tried have sounded terrible. Vypers aren't bad.

Check out a Bugera 333XL and Vox AC15. Could you go used? Check your craigslist and see what you can find.

And what about the fender on your gas list?
I have a huge fear if rays.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by ChrisBW
Personally I thought all the Valvekings I've tried have sounded terrible. Vypers aren't bad.

Check out a Bugera 333XL and Vox AC15. Could you go used? Check your craigslist and see what you can find.

And what about the fender on your gas list?

Eh, it would be great for cleans, but I'd need something a little more high gain than the Fender. I'll check out the Bugera and Vox, and I'll check Craigslist, but there's usually nothing great on it. Thanks.
That Bugera will be better for high gain then... also just be patient with craigslist. Troll it for a couple weeks and something might pop up.
The VK does an ok job with Metallica. Anything heavier than that and I'd look for an amp better suited for metal. Blues to hard rock is really what the VK's gain channel is best at. Expect the amp to be a little harsh out of the box. The stock preamp tubes are crap.
Vox AC15 can't do Metallica on it's own. You'd need a high-gain distortion for that.
The valveking will take alot of time and money to get it up to par for what your using it for.. I would go with something used like a Peavey Ultra or Triple or a new Peavey Windsor. Bugeras are also nice but I dont trust them
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 27, 2009,
^agreed. i had to put some money/time into my VK to get the tone i have now.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I'm gonna go ahead and say you should get that Fender and pedal to do metal on it. It will cost a little more but I'm sure you would be more happy doing that.
Quote by Jason43
The VK does an ok job with Metallica. Anything heavier than that and I'd look for an amp better suited for metal. Blues to hard rock is really what the VK's gain channel is best at. Expect the amp to be a little harsh out of the box. The stock preamp tubes are crap.

To be fair, the Bugera stock tubes are horrible too.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well, I've checked out the amps in this thread, and so far I like the Bugera the best. Is there anything like a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier in my price range though? I've been looking at it and love the sounds of it, but I can't really afford a $2000 head + cab.
I've seen the B 52 AT100 referred to as a poor mans recto, but I've never played one before.
Quote by ChrisBW
I've seen the B 52 AT100 referred to as a poor mans recto, but I've never played one before.

i too have heard this but never played it
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Quote by Mitchell?
Vox AC15 can't do Metallica on it's own. You'd need a high-gain distortion for that.

Even then its not really voiced for that anyways :shrugs
Quote by ChrisBW

Quote by khfan23
i too have heard this but never played it

If only there were a proper demo for it. I found one, but it's a low quality YouTube video and I can't really tell how it sounds. Meh, I guess I'll have to try it out in person next time I need picks (It's a 40 minute drive to Guitar Center).
Quote by Alex Vik
If only there were a proper demo for it. I found one, but it's a low quality YouTube video and I can't really tell how it sounds. Meh, I guess I'll have to try it out in person next time I need picks (It's a 40 minute drive to Guitar Center).

I have one, and I can tell you that it'll do metal (up to some thrash/groove metal stuff, needs an OD to get much heavier) very well and has very good cleans as well.

I didn't realize how vibrant the cleans really were until I started toying with them the other day. They're great.

Also, I plan on doing a proper Youtube review of mine once I get some spare time.

EDIT: I have the AT-112, sorry.

The AT-100 is supposed to have a recto-gain channel, so I'd imagine it can get MUCH heavier than the AT-112.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
If the 212 is anything like the 112 I used to own, then it's pretty terrible. They can, apparently, be made to sound good if you sink a few hundred dollars into new tubes, speakers, and an EQ. But for that kinda money you could still buy something better.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
^generally that is very true. I wouldn't get a 212 just due to the extra speakers and tubes you have to upgrade.

I have heard some killer tones from some of the VK'rs including sg622, Raijouta, Necrophagist777, JamV, Jason, dudey, etc - I can't remember them all.

Here is a stock VK112 with a boost. This is about as close as you can get. There are some good Metallica clips somewhere too but I can't find them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CI117wHoKQ

Also a former UG'r bulletrocks522 (Brad) has a pretty good demo of the B52 AT series combo I think it was. I forget his 'tube' name. That seems to be a lot of amp for the money. You do get what you pay for though to some degree with all of these lower end tube amps. A 5150 or 6505 or XXX or Laney AOR or Ampeg VH series may do you better.

go play like you said
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Also a former UG'r bulletrocks522 (Brad) has a pretty good demo of the B52 AT series combo I think it was. I forget his 'tube' name. That seems to be a lot of amp for the money. You do get what you pay for though to some degree with all of these lower end tube amps. A 5150 or 6505 or XXX or Laney AOR or Ampeg VH series may do you better.

go play like you said

Was it this video/guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9KtD2JhO4

One of the comments said "Please add me on UG once you're not banned", so I'm assuming it is.
yeah.

That's Bulletrocks522. He got perma banned here at UG. Shame. I think he was 12 when he made that video. He has a Mesa Mark III or IIC+ now I can't remember exactly.

Check some of his youtubes in his profile if they are still there. Or look them up on the tube. That's not the Youtube name I remember. He has a tendancy to create lots of different user names so whatever.

Edit: Yeah the kid is pretty amazing. You should hear is stuff now. He'll take those skillz far if he doesn't screw up to bad.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Alex Vik
Was it this video/guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW9KtD2JhO4

One of the comments said "Please add me on UG once you're not banned", so I'm assuming it is.
I didn't play guitar for a few days after the last time I saw that vid.

He's a very impressive guitarist.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...