So I was all set to buy a sweet Carvin DC-127 today on eBay. I had bid $700 on it; no other competitor was in sight. The timer came down to a tight 15 minutes. And I breathed a sigh of relief, content on knowing that in 14 minutes and 52 seconds the guitar would be mine.

Or so I thought. Some jerk totally sniped me three seconds before the auction ended. THREE SECONDS! How the heck does that even happen?

Anyways, I am now on a legendary guitar hunt. And I would like assistance. As you could probably tell, my budget is $700 (plus shipping, duh). Something with a fast neck and hot humbuckers would work wonders. New or used is fine by me, as long as said used guitar doesn't look like it had been gigged by the pieces of work that end up leaving the guitars at GC in shambles.
Learn from your mistakes?
Next time you can be the one doing the sniping.
Quote by guitar-guy01
do what this guy says, he is wise
Get a sniper program like normal ebay users.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Haha that happens to my cousin all the time... sucker...

Anyway, for under $700, I present to you:
The ESP EC-401. Fast, thin neck and hot active humbuckers (EMG 81/60). 24 frets.
OR
The ESP MH-401. same as above but with EMG 81/85 humbuckers.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Haha that happens to my cousin all the time... sucker...

Anyway, for under $700, I present to you:
The ESP EC-401. Fast, thin neck and hot active humbuckers (EMG 81/60). 24 frets.
OR
The ESP MH-401. same as above but with EMG 81/85 humbuckers.

No jokes please, I'm quite vulnerable right now.

But I am liking the LTDs. The ones I tried in GC felt pretty nice.
The LTD's are great, i have a deluxe, if you can find one under 700 and can deal with the abalone they're amazing.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
people snipe all the time on ebay. i'm relatively new to it and i won't bid until the last minute, preferably the last few seconds if i'm feeling brave.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its really common. Many bidders want to keep the price down so they all wait until the end to see whos snipe is last. It does tend to keep prices down as there isnt much time for bidding to run the cost up. I sold a guitar body a while ago it had quite a few watchers, as I watched the clock count down to 0 I was figuring oh well I keep it and do something with it. Nope 2 seconds before the end some guy submitted a bid and got it for next to nothing. So I guess it depends on what it is. I was looking to get a used Vjr on feebay but after watching early bidding drive the price including shipping to within 10-20$ of a new 1. I just went on MF used a discount coupon and had em ship a new 1.
One time I bid on a Original 1996 copy of P.O.D.'s Brown album and got it at 0.3 seconds that's the closest I've ever cut it.

On Topic: LTD and ESP have good guitars, what about a used PRS?
Last edited by bagpipemetal at Jul 27, 2009,
There are a few websites that offer free sniping for ebay. Best look into one of them for your future purchases.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
That will teach you for bidding so early, I mean really why bother?

I snipe, and I'm pretty f**king good at it, enter my maximum bid within 10 seconds of ending and the item is mine, if I bid any earlier I'm just asking for the price to go up or me to loose it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
There are a few websites that offer free sniping for ebay. Best look into one of them for your future purchases.

There was also this website that offered hunting over a webcam, just sayin' where's the fun in that?

I feel sorry for TS, this thread has turned into a how to not get sniped on ebay thread when what he was asking was what is a good guitar around $700.
Oh my god man I can't recommend you a guitar, but damn that sucks so bad!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Super thin neck or fat neck?
Metal huh?
Jackson DKMG or DK2. i got my RR5 for 690 + shipping new, so good luck.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Never, ever bid til the last 10 seconds! Now get back on ebay and do it right! If there was one there will be another soon enough
I sniped my amp on Friday . The day before when I was trying to bid on a Dual Rec, my dad forgot to hit "Confirm Bid" so I lost . But the next day I got on the phone with my dad because once you hit the bid button, the time stops ticking down on your screen so you can't time it perfectly. I counted down on the phone on a different computer and at like 5 second mark I told him to hit "confirm" and I snagged a Triple Rectifier Half Stack for $1350

EDIT: and about the new guitar, I would go for the ESP/LTD's they have fast necks. Also the neck-through Jackson's are great if you can find one in your price range.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Last edited by Travis39 at Jul 27, 2009,
lol i sniped some guy on ebay when i bought my ipod i had the winning bid down to the last 7 or 8 seconds and was beaten out then i beat him out again with 4 seconds left :p
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Quote by BeethovensBust
No jokes please, I'm quite vulnerable right now.

But I am liking the LTDs. The ones I tried in GC felt pretty nice.

I'm not kidding. The EC-401 and MH-401 are excellent guitars.
You can get the MH with a Quilted maple top. That one is the MH-401QM.

They're fine guitars.

I'm getting the EC-1000. Bit more, but definitely worth it.
was it this 1?

Waiting for mine I bought last week
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)