I'm looking for a guitar that's great for hard rock (GnR, Velvet Revolver, etc.), heavy metal/thrash metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.). My current amp is a Marshall AVT20. It also has to be a fixed bridge, I'm not a tremolo kind of a guy.

My budget is 300-500 dollars.

Right now I'm looking at the Schecter Damien V, used ESP-EX 401, and the Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe. Another thing to note: I prefer Explorer and V shapes (no Randy Rhodes models please)

Edit: I also hear guitars with EMG 81/EMG 60 pickups are great for my needs.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
dont think you'll find a brand new guitar in that price range with active EMGs. maybe used though?

this is my fx260sm. i actually like the stock pups, they're good for fast palm muting (think first two metallica albums) and its got the coil tap thing which changes the sound slightly. i think this was in the $300s?

im not familiar with prices on low end schecters but the few at my local store sure feel nice. i do like LTDs though. im too cheap to get an american ESP just yet haha

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Last edited by SYLrules88 at Jul 27, 2009,
Seems nice but I'm leaning towards the Schecter Damien V, I hear the pickups are extremely versatile, and I like the bat inlays.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
go for it. havent played too many schecters but they look nice. im gonna go look at the specs of that one.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Scutchington
Seems nice but I'm leaning towards the Schecter Damien V, I hear the pickups are extremely versatile, and I like the bat inlays.

EMG HZ are okay nothing great as passive pickups, though through any amp nearly any pickup will sound amazing so yeah. Also active pickups + solid state amp aren't always the best sound you can get with a solid state amp so yeah you might want to pass on them even though they may suit your musical taste.