Hey, I own a priceton '65 made by fender for 300 USD, over the years, it has really shown tear on the amp from extreme humming and such, and now one of the inputs are loose, so I want a new amp to better fit my playing. When in bands, I mostly play lead work, which can be anything from blues to some lighter metal, I was hoping to keep it as cheap as possible Like a $350 Maximum, any recomondations? if so, please state the amp, brand, wattage and price USD. thanks!
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Last edited by grayfox1001 at Jul 27, 2009,
that black heart is only 5watts? is 5 watts louder with a tube amp than a solid-state?
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by grayfox1001
that black heart is only 5watts? is 5 watts louder with a tube amp than a solid-state?

Very much so. They also sound BETTER when you turn them up, unlike solid state amps which sound WORSE the more you turn them up.
I'm looking more towards the B-52, that said it was tube, and still 65w, despite reading of problems with it. but I could imagine a huge difference between a 5w tube amp and a 60w tube amp, right? I apologize, but I've never messed around with tube amps, so I know nothing about them.
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by grayfox1001
I'm looking more towards the B-52, that said it was tube, and still 65w, despite reading of problems with it. but I could imagine a huge difference between a 5w tube amp and a 60w tube amp, right? I apologize, but I've never messed around with tube amps, so I know nothing about them.

With tube amps, i think doubling the wattage generally gives only a few decibel increase in volume. More wattage is mainly for more headroom, meaning the amp will not naturally break up at higher volumes as fast.
Quote by Pac_man0123
With tube amps, i think doubling the wattage generally gives only a few decibel increase in volume. More wattage is mainly for more headroom, meaning the amp will not naturally break up at higher volumes as fast.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-LS100-100W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481598#used
What about this? I have 2 Peavey 150w cabs at 8 ohms, and a peavey i think 12" speaker cab, not sure about wattage or ohms on that one, this head seems much better, and cheaper.
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by Pac_man0123

That's pretty much with all amps though. It's a log equation so yeah doubling your intensity (watts in this case) will net you something like 3.14 dB of extra volume which is pretty intense in the scheme of things but for gigging and stuff nothing running a mic in front of your amp won't help.
Quote by nickdohle
Your amp link didnt work.

But i still recommend the BlackHeart.

But i recommend more than that, to go play multiple amps. Then choose.

Sorry, the link is posted a couple of posts up, it's a b-52 head, and every time i go to guitar center, I fall in love with the b-52 amps.
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by grayfox1001
Sorry, the link is posted a couple of posts up, it's a b-52 head, and every time i go to guitar center, I fall in love with the b-52 amps.

Can i ask why you need 50+ watts?

And if you really like it, grab it
Quote by nickdohle
Can i ask why you need 50+ watts?

And if you really like it, grab it

It's not that I necessarily need the extra watts, but i'm used to solid state where for the most part, a higher wattaged amp comes with higher quality and such, and I do not think that the b-52 head is tube, it looks nice, I'd just like to know if it'd sound good through my cabs, and if anyone has ever had any experience with one.
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Quote by grayfox1001
It's not that I necessarily need the extra watts, but i'm used to solid state where for the most part, a higher wattaged amp comes with higher quality and such, and I do not think that the b-52 head is tube, it looks nice, I'd just like to know if it'd sound good through my cabs, and if anyone has ever had any experience with one.

I dont think it is.. Not sure so i may be wrong But i dont think so.
Quote by nickdohle
I dont think it is.. Not sure so i may be wrong But i dont think so.

I found out that it is solid state, but all the reviews give great feedback, I think i will stick with this head, thanks!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
A blackheart 5 watt amp is, in no way, loud enough to gig with. It will be fine for blues and such, and hard rock too, but in general, it is very difficult to play metal on a low wattage amp without the low end getting muddy, it's just a simple consequence of their design and components.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 28, 2009,