i have three choices: Duncan '59 or a Dimarzio Air Norton or a Dimarzio Multibucker.

Which would be best in the neck position so that the tone won't get too muddy and will pair well with a very hot passive (duncan distortion). Those are the cheapest used ones I can find. Unless you got a suggestion. I also already have a spare dimarzio d activator x for bridge position. Maybe stick that in there?

Thanks.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
is this for use with the frontman?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

lol, I second that movement
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ragingkitty

XD No. The Mesa. Why does it matter? I will use it on the Frontman sometimes I guess. The stock duncan designed sounds like crap and has very little output, so I just want to switch it out for something with more tone and output.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
XD No. The Mesa. Why does it matter? I will use it on the Frontman sometimes I guess. The stock duncan designed sounds like crap and has very little output, so I just want to switch it out for something with more tone and output.

It matters because pup changes are meant to tweak your tone. If you are using it with a Frontman, I'll recommend more middy pups and be less worried about muddiness.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
It matters because pup changes are meant to tweak your tone. If you are using it with a Frontman, I'll recommend more middy pups and be less worried about muddiness.

Which Mesa is this... I don't see it in your sig.

Right above the Frontman. How'd you miss it? It's a DC-3 Combo.
The guitar is a 22 fretter, so it tends to sound like a 22 fretter neck pickup if you know what I mean. I prefer 24, so that should say something about what I want. When the pup is pushed that far back, I feel like the tone is really muffled during leads. And the stock pickup is super quiet. Iono what's up with that. maybe that it's just really low output compared to the Distortion.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Right above the Frontman. How'd you miss it? It's a DC-3 Combo.
The guitar is a 22 fretter, so it tends to sound like a 22 fretter neck pickup if you know what I mean. I prefer 24, so that should say something about what I want. When the pup is pushed that far back, I feel like the tone is really muffled during leads. And the stock pickup is super quiet. Iono what's up with that. maybe that it's just really low output compared to the Distortion.

Too many colours = bad.

Haha. Honestly for the Dual Caliber... I think both the '59 and the Air Norton would do fine. However, between the two, I'd go for the Air Norton. I don't have any experience with the multibucker so I can't say anything about that.

What are you trying to achieve? Is clarity and output the main things you are concerned about, or are there other things you're looking at too.

Also, reference bands please.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
Too many colours = bad.

Haha. Honestly for the Dual Caliber... I think both the '59 and the Air Norton would do fine. However, between the two, I'd go for the Air Norton. I don't have any experience with the multibucker so I can't say anything about that.

Yeah. That's what I thought. How do you think a D Activator X Bridge would sound in the neck? It has less output than the bridge pup. I just have one lying around, and I'd rather use it if it sounds OK than buy another pup.

the multibucker is kinda cool. Like a half tone zone and half something else. I forget. Kinda reminds me of a D Sonic meets P Rails. It's not even on their website, so I won't even try risking it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Yeah. That's what I thought. How do you think a D Activator X Bridge would sound in the neck? It has less output than the bridge pup. I just have one lying around, and I'd rather use it if it sounds OK than buy another pup.

the multibucker is kinda cool. Like a half tone zone and half something else. I forget. Kinda reminds me of a D Sonic meets P Rails. It's not even on their website, so I won't even try risking it.

I've put some other questions... like reference bands and other aims of the pup swap in my previous post, can you read and reply to those. I'll need to know before I can make further recommendations.

Generally speaking I would not put a bridge pup into the neck or vice versa, they are optimized for one position and may not sound good in other positions.

I'd skip the multibucker if I were you... it looks... dodgy.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^^Try and see, it only takes a little bit of time to swap pickups, if you don't like it, try something else.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yeah Ima try the DAX bridge in the neck when changing strings tomorrow. Hopefully, it sounds good, and I don't have to buy another pup.

I like the tone of trivium's lead on the neck pickup. Kinda like that. I mostly use neck for cleans, so clarity is a must. Also, I want it warm, but have a little bit of nice high end sparkle in the background. And of course, when I switch pickups, it can't become really quiet. The previous owner had the bridge pup freakin low to balance it out.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
I like the tone of trivium's lead on the neck pickup. Kinda like that. I mostly use neck for cleans, so clarity is a must. Also, I want it warm, but have a little bit of nice high end sparkle in the background. And of course, when I switch pickups, it can't become really quiet. The previous owner had the bridge pup freakin low to balance it out.

Haha... honsetly... clarity and warmth aren't exactly terms I'd use to describe the DAX, but good luck nonetheless.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha... honsetly... clarity and warmth aren't exactly terms I'd use to describe the DAX, but good luck nonetheless.

haha yeah.... It'd be cool to try XD. It's an easy mod anyways. It'll take like 10-15 minutes. If it sounds a bit better, then I'd be cool with it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You won't get high-end sparkle from the Air Norton, it's got pretty chopped treble response. It might be worth looking at the Breed, which does warm and clear very well, treble reponse can always be improved with a series/parallel switch. The Humbucker from Hell will do sparling cleans and clarity but won't be quite as warm.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com