So I got a Squier VM Fretless Jazz for Christmas this last year, and I love it to death. I forgot to put a NBD, sorry. I've been told I picked it up fast, by my friends and by professional bassists alike. However I tried to play several basses at my local music store the other day and just found that I could not play anyone with frets! At first I thought it may have been the strings or the way the basses were set up, but I soon sat down with a few fretless basses and just got into the same groove that I do with Sarah.

Is this a normal thing for fretless players? Do any of you have trouble playing fretted basses? I'm sure it would probably come back with time, but honestly I am so comfortable on fretless that I can't think of a reason to play fretted again.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
wouldn't fretless be hard to play in the dark?
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by cyclobs
wouldn't fretless be hard to play in the dark?

Why would it be any harder in the dark than a fretted bass? Don't fretless basses have at least like a line where the fret would be or inlays?
Quote by Toolfan11
Why would it be any harder in the dark than a fretted bass? Don't fretless basses have at least like a line where the fret would be or inlays?

Some do. My squier does. Though I've found myself to be relying on the sound of the note rather than looking at the lines. When I play along to "Layla" It seems that Clapton's guitars must've been tuned slightly sharp because I always move pass the lines, so for me I just find the point where it hits the right note. Not where my fingers are placed.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I think you've learned your notes from muscle memory and you've learnt them wrong

No but seriously, keep at it, fretless to fretted or the other way round is a change, you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Yeah I hope so. I'm just wondering if I really need a fretted bass. I mean I can't really think of any bassist that was strictly a fretless player. It seems that they always have a fretted bass at one point or another.

Quote by JF-SH1
Yeah I hope so. I'm just wondering if I really need a fretted bass. I mean I can't really think of any bassist that was strictly a fretless player. It seems that they always have a fretted bass at one point or another.

You can play one on the other, it's mainly a tone thing. You don't need one or the other, just you can match the tone on whatever you have.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

same here. i defretted my bass about 6 months ago maybe? and now i cant even look at a fretted bass the same. doesnt sound, feel or play the same haha. i love frettless, gives you more versatility i think and really let you experiment. frets just feel weird to me now haha. btw im a strictly fretless player, i will never purchase a fretted bass again (unless i defret it haha)
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Depending on the genre you play you might or might not need a fretted bass in the future. I think there are some genre's where it would be very difficult to play exclusively a fretless. Funk, I think, would be very difficult to pull off without fretless, just because Funk bass is heavily focused on the percussion of bass. I'm not talking just about slap either. If you're into Jazz, yeah, you probably never will needed a fretted.

But that's me, what do I know
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
One time I played the same bass TS got for like half an hour then picked up a normal Squier VM Jazz and I put my fingers on the fret wire instead of between them for a few seconds. It was quite odd.
I played a fretless peavy cirrus in a pretty dim music store once. It took me a while to realise it was fretless. The tone was pretty great.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I am kind of in the same boat with you here. I can't play a 4 string anymore now that I've been playing a 5. It just isn't comfortable anymore..
I switch between fretted electric, fretless electric, and double bass (always fretless) all the time. Just comes with the gigs I do
I can switch between the big three and have positively no trouble doing so. I may prefer one over the other, but I'm absolutely flummoxed trying to figure out how frets would actually impede playing to the point of impossibility.

And don't worry about posting a NBD - "NBD" is a talkbass term and it automatically adds 50 years to your life.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
lol^

well i dont think that its impossible for me to play a fretted bass, its just uncomfortable and unwanted haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
shouldn't be uncomfortable. maybe you press a bit too hard and the frets feel bend your calluses too much or something?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
naw not even. i just play super super sloppy so i enjoy fretless better cause my sloppy playin style sounds better without frets makin a metal crunch. either way, i like fretless better and will never go back to fretted haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
hmm. ok. there's your answer.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've never taken a bass lesson due to my financial situation, so I don't exactly know proper technique, I just adjust my technique due to what is comfortable and seems to give me an advantage when playing certain songs. It's possible I push to hard, though my style of playing is fairly relaxed, some of the music not so much, but the way I play is a relaxed comfortable approach, I'm not so relaxed when playing fretted, so perhaps that is why. I think I'll just stick my fretless. I can get fretted bass tones if I adjust EQ's.

I crave a hollowbody five string fretless though... Damn man.

When I first got my Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless (at the beginning of this summer) I played it so much that going back to fretted was extremely weird, but now that I play both pretty often, it's no problem switching back and forth.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea