I'm in the process of working up a stereo pedal steel and am having trouble finding info on stereo output jacks. Sometimes, I will want to have both pickups going to the traditional sum mono configuration. If I plug a mono cord into a stereo jack, will it sum the signals or will I only get signal from one pickup?

If the above doesn't work, I should probably be thinking about a toggle that switches from stereo to mono. Thoughts?
In a stereo jack, you'd have gorund to the sleeve, and 2 hots to tip and ring. If you plug a mono cord into a stereo jack, you'd only hear the tip hot, draining to ground the ring hot.
if you plug a mono jack (male) into a stereo socket (female), one of the two hot ends will be connected to ground, so it's a short ciruit, the signal escapes to ground. You lose one of the two signals (whichever would be going through the middle lug of the stereo jack, if it was a stereo lead)

I think you also lose one of the signals with a mono socket too, It might depend how the socket's built, cos I'm sure I've had it work (get both signals to mono by sockets only) before, just by chance, I can't remember when.
Quote by Sabicas
I'm in the process of working up a stereo pedal steel and am having trouble finding info on stereo output jacks. Sometimes, I will want to have both pickups going to the traditional sum mono configuration. If I plug a mono cord into a stereo jack, will it sum the signals or will I only get signal from one pickup?

If the above doesn't work, I should probably be thinking about a toggle that switches from stereo to mono. Thoughts?
"It's a stereo jack but I don't think it's tube..."
lol

Your stereo jack has no way of knowing if it has a mono plug or a stereo plug inserted.
As bazuriya using a mono plug will cause the signal on the ring connection to be shorted to ground.

Before you continue, you need to decide WHICH PATH you want to take:

1 - A single output jack. Switch selects mode: stereo/mono. Stereo signal is sent down a stereo cable.

2 - Two output jacks. Plugging into mono jack sums both outputs together. Plugging into stereo jack allows stereo signal sent via stereo cable. Only ONE jack is used at a time.

3 - Two output jacks. Plugging a mono cable into master jack (only), allows both signals to be summed together. If you also plug into "2nd channel" jack the signals will be separate. One of them will be sent down the second cable. Obviously requires TWO mono cables for stereo sound.

Pick one. All 3 allow your choice of mono or stereo operation, but the way they accomplish the task is different.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"It's a stereo jack but I don't think it's tube..."
lol

Your stereo jack has no way of knowing if it has a mono plug or a stereo plug inserted.
As bazuriya using a mono plug will cause the signal on the ring connection to be shorted to ground.

Before you continue, you need to decide WHICH PATH you want to take:

1 - A single output jack. Switch selects mode: stereo/mono. Stereo signal is sent down a stereo cable.

2 - Two output jacks. Plugging into mono jack sums both outputs together. Plugging into stereo jack allows stereo signal sent via stereo cable. Only ONE jack is used at a time.

3 - Two output jacks. Plugging a mono cable into master jack (only), allows both signals to be summed together. If you also plug into "2nd channel" jack the signals will be separate. One of them will be sent down the second cable. Obviously requires TWO mono cables for stereo sound.

Pick one. All 3 allow your choice of mono or stereo operation, but the way they accomplish the task is different.

Well, I'm going to mod my volume pedal to have stereo jacks (1 in, 1 out with stereo pot) so I figure I would pick option 1 or 2, whichever is easier to wire up.

This probably deserves it's own thread, but is there any wiring software out there of do I need to use MS Paint?
Quote by Sabicas
Well, I'm going to mod my volume pedal to have stereo jacks (1 in, 1 out with stereo pot)
Yeah, that'll work fine. Both "channels" will be controlled by the expression pedal and if you use mono cables in and out, it will still work for mono.

Quote by Sabicas
so I figure I would pick option 1 or 2, whichever is easier to wire up.
Both are easy as hell to wire. #1 requires a SPDT switch. Very common part. #2 requires a closed-circuit stereo jack (not all that hard to find) and a regular mono jack.

Honestly, it's just a question if you prefer a switch or two output jacks. Chose.

Quote by Sabicas
This probably deserves it's own thread, but is there any wiring software out there of do I need to use MS Paint?
Probably is, but cba to find anything for pictorials. I use TinyCad or CircuitMaker for creating schematics. But you're probably interested in pictorials, so Paint is probably a good choice

You can get some parts drawing from the first page of the Guitar Wiring thread to start with, and edit them.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by blandguitar
doesnt get its own thread. its still this topic. and just use dual gang pots and wire them reverse that way you can do it as a blend pot

I was planning on using a blend pot to switch between pickups, so I could pan between pickups/effects chains. I'm working out a diagram now.
Is this correct for option #1? I wasn't sure whether tone pots should be before the blend pot of if it matters at all. There is no volume pot because I'll be controlling that with a volume pedal, 100% of the time. Is there anything I'm missing?
Attachments:
S6_blend_basic.gif
Last edited by Sabicas at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by Sabicas
Is this correct for option #1? I wasn't sure whether tone pots should be before the blend pot of if it matters at all. There is no volume pot because I'll be controlling that with a volume pedal, 100% of the time. Is there anything I'm missing?
Tone pots should definitely be before the blend pot.

You don't have capacitors shown in series with the tone pots.

The pickups should be connected to the wipers of the blend pot.

The outputs should be connected to the ends of the blend pot.

You need to connect the opposite ends of the blend pots to ground.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
why not use one output jack with a stereo mono switch. or two jacks with a switch to lift the shorted hot lead. where one jack is a combo jack but you can run daul mono right out of the guitar if you want to.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
That's not where the tone pot cap goes.
It should be one cap on each tone pot, going from the lug to ground on the pot casing.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 28, 2009,
Quote by fullsailstudent
why not use one output jack with a stereo mono switch. or two jacks with a switch to lift the shorted hot lead. where one jack is a combo jack but you can run daul mono right out of the guitar if you want to.

"why not use one ouput jack with a stereo mono switch"

Um, I thought that was exactly what was happening in my schematic.
Quote by cedricsmods
That's not where the tone pot cap goes.
It should be one cap on each tone pot, going from the lug to ground on the pot casing.

Hmmm, I've definitely seen one cap soldered across two pots to get the same effect. I understand your point, so let's just pretend I have it that way. I've always wired it with one cap per pot anyway.