Ive been playing for a little over three years now and am still using the spider III that ive had since day one...to make a long story short its time for a change. Anyways, a tube amp of about 15 watts is what im looking at, and my budget is about 600 dollars. I am a little hesitant to buy used so new preferably. The amps i am looking at mainly are:

1) fender blues junior NOS tweed edition
things i like- reverb, master volume, full range of eq controls
things i dont like- shaky quality control, particle board cabinet

2) vox ac15 with warfdale speaker-
things i like- reverb, tremolo (but will probably rarely use), master volume
tings i dont like- no mids control, non-plywood cabinet

3) blackheart bh15 combo
ive never had the chance to play this amp as the guitar center in my area does not stock them. i have heard a lot of good things tho.

is there anything else i should be considering? i have also looked into the 5 watt blackstar combo but haven't had the chance to play one.

for what i play see sig.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
All very different tones. I believe at one point or another most artists on that list have used two or more of the three you listed, what kind of sound do you want?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
if you use pedals like me (gilmour!) then get the fender blues junior NOS tweed edition. IT HAS A JENSEN SPEAKER WHICH MAKES IT BETTER. But if you want a marshall sound just get the blackheart which also has a very nice clean sound.
/\ basically hard rock to the extent of GNR and blues a la SRV and everything in between. no metal really
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Quote by bigreno
/\ basically hard rock to the extent of GNR and blues a la SRV and everything in between. no metal really

Then personally I think the Blackheart would suit you since I recall seeing Stevie using Marshalls, which I believe Blackhearts are based on, occasionally in videos, though the Fender is definitely worth a look to be sure.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I'd go for the Vox, I see what makes you debate it though. That Fender will get you good with SRV playin', here's a list of sound samples from people using the blackheart bh15 combo. I'd definitely try that sucker in person though if I couldn't determine it from vids.
YEah to be honest, id be looking at none of the above. Not sure about what part of the world your in, but whats the cost of say these amps compared to a Mesa Studio 22 where your at?

The only reason i recommend that is that a Mesa Studio series is so flexible in the world of sound. You can pull all the sounds of your influenced list out of this.

All the other tube amps are really known as a one trick horse otherwise. Have a look at the pricing difference, but if its only a little extra, try and go up that extra level, it really is worth it.
Quote by Igotyerbooty
I'd go for the Vox, I see what makes you debate it though. That Fender will get you good with SRV playin', here's a list of sound samples from people using the blackheart bh15 combo. I'd definitely try that sucker in person though if I couldn't determine it from vids.

thanks for the link. the blackheart sounds really good both clean and overdriven on the videos but i really wish i could get my hands on one in person.

another question...since the blackheart does not have reverb (which i use often), what would be a good reverb pedal to look into?
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
In reply to the reverb thing. Dont go for a pedal, get a nice little rackmount. Id be looking at something by TC Electronics for a good reverb.
Quote by countrychris01
YEah to be honest, id be looking at none of the above. Not sure about what part of the world your in, but whats the cost of say these amps compared to a Mesa Studio 22 where your at?

The only reason i recommend that is that a Mesa Studio series is so flexible in the world of sound. You can pull all the sounds of your influenced list out of this.

All the other tube amps are really known as a one trick horse otherwise. Have a look at the pricing difference, but if its only a little extra, try and go up that extra level, it really is worth it.

i live in the US. since my budget is only 600 theres no way I could afford one of those amps without going used which definitely isnt my first option. anyways im not even sure they make studio 22s new anymore. Slightly off topic, my uncle has a mesa lone star special and its the best sounding, nicest amp ive ever had the pleasure to play. too bad im nowhere near being able to afford an 1800 dollar amp haha
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Quote by countrychris01
In reply to the reverb thing. Dont go for a pedal, get a nice little rackmount. Id be looking at something by TC Electronics for a good reverb.

im not sure im in a position to be buying rack mounted gear as i usually play by myself or with a friend or two. i will look into it tho
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Yeah thats fair enough. Didnt realise the cash difference was so big.

Knowing what you've said now. Id go with a fender, but i love them fender tones, be careful, because it will probably be full of twang.
/\ honestly thats basically what im leaning towards. if i was forced to make a decision right now id go with the fender.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Yeah the only thing there is id be careful if you change up your playing style. You might your tone always has that twang about it, and its hard to get that out of a fender amp, as thats its one trick.

But welcome to the world of tubes. I see this all the time. We have some many people running Line 6 Spiders around here, which are great amps by themselves, but put them next to a tube amp and you hear it. I run an old Mesa copy, an Acoustic G60t, and to see the jaws drop, just shows you what difference tubes make.
Quote by countrychris01
Yeah the only thing there is id be careful if you change up your playing style. You might your tone always has that twang about it, and its hard to get that out of a fender amp, as thats its one trick.

But welcome to the world of tubes. I see this all the time. We have some many people running Line 6 Spiders around here, which are great amps by themselves, but put them next to a tube amp and you hear it. I run an old Mesa copy, an Acoustic G60t, and to see the jaws drop, just shows you what difference tubes make.

yeah i agree theres really no comparision
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Call me a noob, but is it wise to spend $600 on an amp only putting out 15watts?

Yeah i think its perfectly wise. Most smaller amps record much better than their louder brethren. Most studios amps are small tube amps, 5w to 15w. It really doesnt matter much for stage use either, an amp on stage is never the sound your hearing out the front, its always a mic sitting in front of the amp. Most bands have foldback, and the mic'd signal is usually sent through this. Some people do like the feeling of a big amp pushing the air behind them, and thats fine, but a louder amp will not sound better than a smaller one or vice versa.
Last edited by countrychris01 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by kaossurge
Call me a noob, but is it wise to spend $600 on an amp only putting out 15watts?

15 tube watts is going to be much louder than 15 solid state watts. the beauty of lower wattage tube amps is that you can get natural power tube breakup at volumes that wont blow your windows out haha . in an earlier post in this thread i made a comment about my uncle's mesa lone star special (keep in mind is "only" 30 watts). In all honesty we cranked that thing up to a little over a QUARTER power on the master volume and his windows were rattling haha.
My Gear:
MIM Fender Strat HSS

My Influences:
1) David Gilmour
2) SRV
3) Jimmy Page
4) Jimmi Hendrix
5) Slash
Exactly that. My 60 watt acoustic is loud enough to even keep Phil Emmanuel happy. Literally in a band situation, so my amp would be running about 90 dbSPL, im running the master at 9-11 oclock and the channel gain on the same. This is nowhere near full juice. Ive heard this 60watt thing compete with a Bose 802 live rig running 200 watts per side.
Quote by bigreno
thanks for the link. the blackheart sounds really good both clean and overdriven on the videos but i really wish i could get my hands on one in person.

another question...since the blackheart does not have reverb (which i use often), what would be a good reverb pedal to look into?

As countrychris said the rack would probably be more ideal, of course I have a pedal fetish, the more the merrier in my mind! I know I'll probably get knocked for recommending a Boss but I have had great experiences with all my Boss pedals thus far. This should be on a wall mount at GC - RV-5, check that out and see if the settings give you that feel you're looking for. Someone else might have a boutique recommendation I have yet to try.
i would seriously consider scrapping your wattage requirement and getting something like a traynor ycv 40 or 50. My reasons being that I'm not aware offhand of any 15 watters with a fendery clean channel and a marshally dirt channel ( if anyone can think of any, i'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong), plus 15 watts is still going to be ridiculously loud in a home environment, so with that knowledge you might as well get an amp which will do the tones you want. the end goal isn't to be able to crank the amp, it's to achieve most closely the tones you want and need. Too many guitarists seem to forget this, if you ask me. Will it sound as good with the volume on 1 as it will with the volume on 10? No. Will it sound better than a lower wattage amp which can be cranked but which still can't get the tones you want and need? Very probably. Or, at very least, it's a judgement call which you need to make on your own.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?