Alright so someone wants to trade me their guitar (a dean ml from the 90's. He claims it's rather rare and is worth something like 600 on ebay) He wants to trade it to me for a schecter damien 6 because his son wants one. I don't know the guy... that makes me think he may be trying to scam me. Is there any way to tell if this guitar is the real deal and not worth 100 dollars? lol. That would not make me happy if i traded for something like that. I'm not particuarly fond of that shape but if it's a good guitar, why not.

From the look of it it's a bolt on neck style guitar. Does this mean anything?

Also, he says it's the vintage headstock and not the more modern one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Last edited by alexpalka23 at Jul 27, 2009,
Looks like a good guitar. Don't really know how to tell fake Deans though, but the production quality on that leads me to believe it's authentic.

I'd get a serial number from it.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Quote by Jesstaa
Looks like a good guitar. Don't really know how to tell fake Deans though, but the production quality on that leads me to believe it's authentic.

I'd get a serial number from it.

Alright. Could someone tell me how to check/ check the serial number once i get it?

Anyone else have an opinion on this guitar?

Does the fact that it's a bolt on neck possibly mean this guy is trying to rip me off with a lower end guitar?

Edit: alright well h ejust emailed me back and like i know this isn't some scam bot at least. He gave me a local phone to call him at tomorrow to try it out. I just asked for the serial number so hopefully i can get that tonight for you guys. Does anyone know how to check a serial number?
Last edited by alexpalka23 at Jul 27, 2009,
Just so you know, he says it's a dean ml ultra. That is the exact name of it. Would this model have a bolt on neck?
Where's it made? Bolt on neck Deans aren't the most sought after. I'm not farmiliar with the ultra, but I dont think it's worth what he says it is. You could get a used 79 series for $400 in excellent condition. May want to contact a guy named Steve at BRG in Iowa. If anyone would know for sure he would. Tracing Dean serial numbers is iffy at best. They suck on documentation and tracability.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
im pretty sure dean wasnt even around in the 90s, though he went bust late 80s but thats just what i thought dont know if its 100% or not.

it definetly looks different ill say that, but doubt it would be worth £600
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by nav00
im pretty sure dean wasnt even around in the 90s, though he went bust late 80s but thats just what i thought dont know if its 100% or not.

it definetly looks different ill say that, but doubt it would be worth £600

Dean was around. I have 2 from that era.

TS: I just spent the last hr looking around and the only ultra's i can find are in fact set necks. That's a bit better, but still not worth that price. If it has Bill lawrence pickup's that too is a plus, but the pic looks like stock run of the mill zebra's. I'd pass unless the guy wants to throw in some cash to equal out the trade.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Alright good to hear. Yeah i just didn't wanna get ripped off here. I do have the serial number now. It's e815136. Alright well there's the information we could use to possibly trace this thing.

I just called steve. He told me that it would be worth something like $500 brand new years ago when it was in production. Now in mint condition it would be worth like 375 or so. Not what i wanted to hear. This guy who's selling doesn't know his stuff. Thanks for all the help guys. You stopped me from making a bad investment. I don't think i'll be picking up this guitar now. Thanks for everything guys!