I don't know much theory, but I wanted to know how to play an Ab or Eb chord sweep picking ( as an arpeggio ). Would it be an A Minor or E minor arpeggio? Or..?
A sharp (#) raises the pitch of a note by one half step, and a flat (b) lowers the pitch of a note by one half step. So Ab is just a half step lower than A. On you guitar a whole step (tone) is two frets, a half step (semi-tone) is one fret. So to play an Ab chord you'd just move an A chord down a fret.

If you want to start learning some theory, check out Freepower's video lessons - they cover all the basics simply: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=58DA70A2123C71CD&search_query=freepower+ug+theory
Quote by ibz120
power chord. a root note with a perfect 5th .

I'm just going to ignore the pungent troll odor and tell you to lurk the stickies and lesson section before posting here.
lol guitar
I really can't just ask a question without being called some gay nerd slang? What the hell is a troll LOL.
Quote by ibz120
I really can't just ask a question without being called some gay nerd slang? What the hell is a troll LOL.

It's because you are being vague.

What do you want to know exactly?

Here are 3 sweep shapes anyway;

First one is an Em Sweep, 2nd one is Am sweep, and the last 1 is an E5 (Power chord sweep)

E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E      E   E   E   E   E   E   Q     
E||--------------------------12--15--|----------------------12--17----|
B||----------------------12----------|------------------13------------|
G||------------------12--------------|--------------14----------------|
D||--------------14------------------|----------14--------------------|
A||----------14----------------------|--12--15------------------------|
E||--12--15--------------------------|--------------------------------|

E   E   E   E   E   E    
----------------------19--||
------------------17------||
--------------16----------||
----------14--------------||
------14------------------||
--12----------------------||

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by ibz120
I don't know much theory, but I wanted to know how to play an Ab or Eb chord sweep picking ( as an arpeggio ). Would it be an A Minor or E minor arpeggio? Or..?

You play an Ab sweep... like an Ab sweep. Ab is a different note from A, so why would you play an Am sweep if you wanted Ab? If you want an Ab major sweep, play a pattern for Ab major. If you want an Ab minor sweep, play a pattern for Ab minor. Notes with accidentals are exactly the same as notes without accidentals.