I'm looking to get a guitar lesson book, and improve over the summer. I consider myself decent, I have basic theory down, and know my major scales. I want to learn anything, be it theory or technique. Just a list of lesson books that have worked for you would be great.
Zeppelin owns all
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Do you read standard notation or not? If you do id recommend modern method for guitar from berklee. Consider that your summer.

Great book, and it will be one you refer back to for a long time.
speed mechanics for lead guitar by tony stentina.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by countrychris01
Do you read standard notation or not? If you do id recommend modern method for guitar from berklee. Consider that your summer.

Great book, and it will be one you refer back to for a long time.

I can't read standard notation too well. Maybe for my summer, I should learn how to read.
Zeppelin owns all
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Yeah its sorta why i recommended the book. Why its so great, is it brings up both left and right hand dexterity together, which is important for sweeping and advanced lead playing stuff. It also starts out very basic, teaches scales in most positions, teaches chord voicing, all while improving reading skills. I used this book to teach myself to read, and that why i was recommending it. 6 months with this book, an hour a day, you will be a different player.

I know it sounds heaps, but if you get the book and dvd with it, its invaluable. It also is great for theory, as theory is much easier to teach from a staff, than a fretboard.

I know I sound like a rambling old bastard, trying to sing up the methods of having some classical training, but believe me, I've spent 6 months with this book and its worth it.

Its also one of the only reading courses that requires its music to be played with a plectrum.
something that will improve your theory and scale knowledge and actually teach you how to use scales not just play them.