I want to buy a classical guitar but I'm not sure which mainly because I don't know many brands/makes/luthiers. The winning ones are the Raimundo guitars but can you tell me other brands? I have around a $500-700 budget. Thanks in advance.
BrruBumChe

Quote by the humanity
from a guy to a guy, I'd be damned if I was on a stage for an hour fingering a dude.

your amp can be a guy, but not the guitar.
Bump
BrruBumChe

Quote by the humanity
from a guy to a guy, I'd be damned if I was on a stage for an hour fingering a dude.

I asked one of our resident classical guitarists that happens to be banned right now (another moderator played a joke on him, he wasn't bad ) and he said...

Quote by confusius
500 to 700?

He should be able to get an Alhambra 5P for that. I've heard people in the USA getting those for 1000 and stuff, but that's overpriced. It's 500 euros over here, so it shouldn't be much over 600 or 700 dollars. The thing about these guitars is that while they're still mass produced, they still have parts of them which aren't "factory built", that are hand made. They sound like a dream. I have the 8P, he might be able to get that second hand. I got mine first hand for 750 euros new so it's definitely over his budget new.

Then he's got all the completely mass produced guitars, Cordobas, Admiras etc etc. If he searches in the forum he'll find loads of threads with that type of guitars recommended.

The main thing is that he's going to buy a student guitar. So when he's looking at the more expensive makers he'll be looking at their lower line (which is not like the Martin X series, it's actually really good! ha ha ha). He'll probably want a solid cedar top, solid rosewood backs and sides. You can get spruce, but the more typical classical guitar sound is the warmer and rounder cedar tone. Make sure he tries the guitars. If he can't play any classical tunes, it doesn't matter. Just take an E major shape and see which guitar has the most round and full sound. And don't doubt in trying out some more expensive guitars even though you won't buy them. It's so you can have something to compare against. See how much the sound, playability actually differs. Do the same with cheaper guitars.
Hi Sewage Rat,
Just want to remind you not to bump threads. You can get banned for this, or a warning (I did it once.. did not end up good). So just try not do it in future.
Jim's mate, confusius, has a good point. Try that?

^-- He waited over an entire day and had no replies. No big deal We're pretty lenient in the Acoustic & Classical forum on stuff like this. The only things we really don't tolerate around here are extremely blatant spam and bad attitudes.
Sorry about bumping but I made sure I did it after a while like Jimtaka said. Thanks for your reply Jim. Does anynody know anything about the Raimundo guitars or the LaPatrie ones?
BrruBumChe

Quote by the humanity

Last edited by Sewage Rat at Jul 29, 2009,
Alhambra guitars look prett good actually, but I can't get one where I live so I'll probably get a Raimundo which also look pretty great.
BrruBumChe

Quote by the humanity