Hi everyone
I have a Yamaha RBX270J and believe that it would sound better with new pickups (The bass is 3 weeks old and I can hear a drop off in bottom end bass i.e. <200Htz)
Can anyone suggest pickups that would be compatible with this bass and give me the depth/sound of bass I'm after.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Brian (from Scotland)
What amp are you playing through?
An amp upgrade generally does the trick more than anything else.
Pickups are generally one of the last things you change to tweak your tone, not to change anything large.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Pickups are generally one of the last things you change to tweak your tone, not to change anything large.

Hi
I use a Laney RB3 which is specific for bass and have a massive 12" drive unit.
It is definatley to pickups at fault as other forum users have had the same issues.
Any suggestions on pickups ?
Thanks again
Brian
I wouldn't exactly call 12" massive but anyway...

If you're sure that it is a pickup problem:
Am I right that your bass has a P/J pickup confuguration? If so then my first suggestion for all-round very good pickups would be one of each of:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/spb3_quarterpou/

and

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/progressive-1/sjb3_quarterpou/
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

+1 to getting the basslines
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by gilly_90

Am I right that your bass has a P/J pickup confuguration? If so then my first suggestion for all-round very good pickups would be one of each of:

and

Trust me 12" is MASSIVE where I come from (LOL)
Thanks for advice - I've logged into both sites for the pickups and they cetainly look good so I think I'll be going with them.
Cheers
Brian
Actually, I wouldn't get those. You see, basses with PJ pickups have had the pickups tweaked to sound good together. Typically, Precision pickups are louder, so companies overwind the Jazz pickup to compensate. If you buy separate pickups, you will end up having an imbalance in volume.

Basically, you would be better off buying a set of PJ pickups. This Dimarzio set is actually well recommended.
Quote by ele1122
Actually, I wouldn't get those. You see, basses with PJ pickups have had the pickups tweaked to sound good together. Typically, Precision pickups are louder, so companies overwind the Jazz pickup to compensate. If you buy separate pickups, you will end up having an imbalance in volume.

Basically, you would be better off buying a set of PJ pickups. This Dimarzio set is actually well recommended.

Hi
Thanks for the feedback. These also look good so now I'm stuck !
I'll see what other people think and try and make a judgment form there.
Has anyone actually replaced the pickups on a RBX270J ? Quesion for all.
Thanks
Brian
Quote by gilly_90

and

How's life down under then ?
Love the guitars especially the cool looking Ibanez
Seymour duncun are good but in away nothing special. Look for nordtrand, lindy fralin and bartolini for some good pickups.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Seymour duncun are good but in away nothing special. Look for nordtrand, lindy fralin and bartolini for some good pickups.

yeah I'm a fan of Bartolinis, I was just giving the standard answer normally given in these forums. People seem to really like quarter pounders.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
yeah I'm a fan of Bartolinis, I was just giving the standard answer normally given in these forums. People seem to really like quarter pounders.

OK
So which would YOU put on my guitar if cost was no object - in other words what are the best pickups to give me the bass I want.
Cheers
Brian
Nordstrands for that rich growl.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by BrianLudwig
OK
So which would YOU put on my guitar if cost was no object - in other words what are the best pickups to give me the bass I want.
Cheers
Brian

I wouldn't change the pickups, I would get a new amp.

If I was going to change the pickups, I would get the quarter pounders. Either a P/J set or one of each and make the J sit a little higher to up the volume slightly.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
The Laney RB3 amp is good. With a bass boost of +15db at 50hz so well able to give the bass if it is input.
I believe from looking at other forums that the Yamaha stock pickups on the RBX270 do have quite a bot of bnass drop off at the lower end.
Think I'm going to go for the Syymour Duncan's as suggested as they seem to get the best reviews. The Bertolini's are unavailable in the UK and would need to be ordered direct.
Thanks
Brian
No prob.
Btw did that friend request work? I've been having issues lately...
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
No prob.
Btw did that friend request work? I've been having issues lately...

Eh what friend request ? So probably not I'm afraid but I'd be delighted to be added as a friend.
I've goe for the Seymour Duncan pickups that you recommended as they seem to be in a reasonable price range and I've found a man called Steve from Steve's Stats who is an expert at repairs and upgrades and has done quite a bit of custom work for fairly well known people. He's charging me £40 ish to change them over and set up the whole bass correctly which I think is quite reasonable.
Thanks again to you and everyone else who took the time to reply.
Cheers !
Brian
Quote by gilly_90

Hi again Gilly_90
I currently use a LAney RB3 Bass Combo which has a 12" driver but I'm not getting the bass oomph i.e. Country & Western style or Pendulum (The Other Side etc)
What would you recommend in place of the Laney to give me that deeper sound ?
Thanks
B
Er... a 1x15 will give you a very booming, defined low end, but you will lose some definition towards the treble end of the spectrum.
I use a head and 1x15" and 4x10" speaker cabinets. I get the feeling that this is the 'standard' as it were though some people prefer a 2x12 or even a 4x12 instead of the 4x10, but that's mainly preference. If you don't have much of a budget, then I'd recommend a 1x15 if you are more concerned about the lower frequencies than the higher ones.
I highly recommend Hartke and I hear a lot of good things about Peavey and I'm sure some other people would also have their own preferred brands so it is important that you try different things out before you commit to an idea/product.

Also, for a reggae sort of 'thump' sound, flatwound strings come very highly recommended here, though I havn't tried them myself.
[/wall of text]
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
Er... a 1x15 will give you a very booming, defined low end, but you will lose some definition towards the treble end of the spectrum.
I use a head and 1x15" and 4x10" speaker cabinets. I get the feeling that this is the 'standard' as it were though some people prefer a 2x12 or even a 4x12 instead of the 4x10, but that's mainly preference. If you don't have much of a budget, then I'd recommend a 1x15 if you are more concerned about the lower frequencies than the higher ones.
I highly recommend Hartke and I hear a lot of good things about Peavey and I'm sure some other people would also have their own preferred brands so it is important that you try different things out before you commit to an idea/product.

Also, for a reggae sort of 'thump' sound, flatwound strings come very highly recommended here, though I havn't tried them myself.
[/wall of text]

Thanks Gill_90 for that - I'll check both amps and strings out.
Cheers