I'm trying to replace the tone pot with a kill switch on my Ibanez Iceman. Is the only way to remove these to pop them off with a flat head or something similar?
I was referring to popping off the actual pot from the back of the guitar. Should I remove the knob initially?
Quote by nouOU
I was referring to popping off the actual pot from the back of the guitar. Should I remove the knob initially?

it'd be pretty hard to loosen the nut holding the pot in place if you dont remove the knob. hopefully you didn't do something like try to pry the pot out first since you could potentially damage it.
Quote by noisefarmer
it'd be pretty hard to loosen the nut holding the pot in place if you dont remove the knob. hopefully you didn't do something like try to pry the pot out first since you could potentially damage it.

THIS. there's your answer
you have to take the knob off first because the nut that loosens the pot is under it. you should also take off the cover to your control cavity so you can hold the pot from the back.

only on UG can you have a thread about nuts and pot and not have people go WTF?!?
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
Quote by noisefarmer

I assumed that's how this was done. I haven't done anything yet tho.
Quote by Head BANGER 81
you have to take the knob off first because the nut that loosens the pot is under it. you should also take off the cover to your control cavity so you can hold the pot from the back.

only on UG can you have a thread about nuts and pot and not have people go WTF?!?

Thanks
Quote by nouOU
I assumed that's how this was done. I haven't done anything yet tho.

also, since i've never actually even touched an iceman, you might want to check if the knobs have a set screw holding them in place. loosening that will make removing them so much easier. they'll just pop right off. dont remove the set screw though since you'll run the risk of losing it and those bastards are small and easy to lose.
sometimes there's a little screw in it.. if not just wiggle with something that's not sharp until it comes loose
Quote by nouOU
The knobs on the iceman have very little clearance, I don't think I'd be able to fit something underneath.

http://www.armadilloguitar.com/main/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Dome_Style_Knobs_490e3a2b995a4.jpg

Mine look like those ^^.

check to see if somewhere on the knob is a little hole with a tiny little screw in it. that would be the set screw. loosen it a bit and the knob will come off. those eyeglass screwdrivers (or whatever they are called) would work.

if you dont have the set screw then it's just a matter of getting a firm grip and applying strong upward pressure to pull the knob off but i'm guessing from the style of the knob it most likely has a set screw. almost every knob i've seen that looks like that has one.
Just grab the knob and pull on it and it should pull off with a little force. Don't just reef on it - gradually increase the strength of your pulling. Then you will see a nut and washer exposed. Remove the control panel cover on the back of the guitar, and then remove the nut and washer from the tone pot.

You will need to unsolder a few connection which go to the tone pot in order to remove it. If you do not know what you are doing I advise enlisting the help of a friend who does, or shelling out a few bucks to hire somone to do it for you. If you purchase the killswitch in advance I imagine it would run you $30 to $40 max to have someone do the work for you.
Quote by nouOU
The knobs on the iceman have very little clearance, I don't think I'd be able to fit something underneath.

Mine look like those ^^.
*hotlinked*
Quote by Chaosinborn
there may be a screw on the side of the knob.
yeah. pretty likely if they look like the ones in the pic TS linked to.
Look for a setscrew on the side:

If they are held on with setscrews, get "smooth shaft" pots for replacement.
These knobs won't work well with split shafts.

OR you could use split shaft pots and conventional knobs.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 27, 2009,