Does the ratio matter?

For example, does an amp with 2 12ax7's and 1 EL34 have more gain than an amp with 3 12ax7's and 2 EL34's?

The first amp's ratio is 2 preamp tubes to 1 and the second amps is 1.5 to 1.

So, which amp will have more preamp gain? Power amp gain?
"teh most gains"
Last edited by mountain2012 at Jul 27, 2009,
surely it would depend on the volume you are playing at as well as that determines how much amplification happens in the poweramp stage?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
The type and number of power amp tubes can tell you the approximate wattage; the number of preamp tubes doesn't tell you a lot since they're often used to drive multiple channels, reverb, tremolo, etc.

So, to answer your question, no. That information doesn't really get you anywhere.
^ agreed. if it's a single channel amp with no reverb, tremolo, fx loop etc. etc. (everything being equal, in other words), then more preamp tubes will probably mean more gain. of course, very rarely (if ever) is everything else equal.

ratio to the power tubes to the preamp tubes doesn't really matter. only thing to point out is that if the amp has one or more pairs of tubes in a push-pull configuration, one of the pre-amp tubes is going to be used up for the phase inverter, so a single-ended amp (with one power amp valve) with 2 preamp valves might have a similar amount of gain to a push-pull amp with 3 pre-amp valves (again, assuming everything else is equal).

I think- colin/roc knows better than I do, hopefully he'll correct anything I have wrong there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm looking at the Mojave Scorpion and the THD Univalve .

It looks like the Univalve has the simpler configuration with true bare bones construction.

The Scorpion has a line out and complex EQ, if that makes a difference.
"teh most gains"
it'd be too hard to say, only looking at the tubes. you'd need to know what all those tubes were for in the mojave (one will be phase inverter, anyway), plus how the circuit is designed will affect the amount of gain etc. too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tubes aren't just blocks of X amount of gain; the voltage supplied to the tube and the plate/screen/cathode resistors vary how much gain an individual tube gain stage will have; further R/C components in the circuit as well as the topography of the gain stages will also impact the gain.

If you're looking to purchase one of those amps, I think you need to do much more research i.e. find and play them or if that's impossible, at least talk to people who own them and find clips on youtube. I can tell you that the Univalve has a lot more power tube saturation due to the low output; it's rather limited in tone as well, despite the tube changing options.

I'd really suggest finding a Univalve if you can. The Mojave is more or less a hotrodded marshall, so you know what you're getting. The univalve is a one-trick pony with a lot of subtle variation via the low/high voltage, two inputs, hotplate etc. If you like the Univalve sound, you'll love the amp but I'd hate for you to buy one then discover that it's not nearly as versatile as you thought or that the tone isn't for you.
yeah, that's kind of what i mean. You can't tell, really, just by looking at the tubes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?