hey all,

im currently starting up customising and along with my potential pine & oak build i thought i would look into the possibility of modding my "travel" guitar

its a BC Rich Mockingbird Body art series Vamperilla and im thinking of getting rid of the artwork and trying to make it look more like a Special edition carved top mockingbird.

my biggest question is would i need to add more wood to make a carved top or is it just a case of leaving the area with the pickups and bridge as thick as they are and just carving down the sides?

id also concider attaching a flexible (aka thin) flame/quilt maple cap to add to it after i have carved it but i also like the gloss black ones.

cheers guys/gals
Quote by gtanny
hey all,

im currently starting up customising and along with my potential pine & oak build i thought i would look into the possibility of modding my "travel" guitar

its a BC Rich Mockingbird Body art series Vamperilla and im thinking of getting rid of the artwork and trying to make it look more like a Special edition carved top mockingbird.

my biggest question is would i need to add more wood to make a carved top or is it just a case of leaving the area with the pickups and bridge as thick as they are and just carving down the sides?

id also concider attaching a flexible (aka thin) flame/quilt maple cap to add to it after i have carved it but i also like the gloss black ones.

cheers guys/gals

Do you mean something like this?

As long as you dont get too wild with your form you shouldnt need to add material. Youll need to make sure you leave the pickup and bridge areas alone though. If Im understanding you right, adding material is going to mess with your neck fitting/depth and your bridge height. It would just mean a lot of extra work so you would have to really want that cap
im thinking more along the lines of:

is still seems to be flat around the pickup area and its also a tuneomatic which is the same bridge as mine but string thru
You carve around the sides of the guitar, the wood is generally quite flat in the middle.

Its going to be quite hard to apply a veneer to a carved top, you'll need a vacuum press.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
You carve around the sides of the guitar, the wood is generally quite flat in the middle.

Its going to be quite hard to apply a veneer to a carved top, you'll need a vacuum press.

i think ill pass with the veneer then, i dont really want to opt for one of the iron on maple caps on ebay