Hi, First post

Anyways, I have just ordered a HT-5 Head and need a cab. I only have a MG15DFX at the moment *pulls out flame shield* and so need a cab (pref 4x12) to hook my amp up to.

I have my eye on this one :
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72357 H+K SC412
and this one:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/peavey-valve-king-412-slant/69174

I know nothing about cabs and only want to spend under £300

Also, I don't no whether this will help but I play music anywhere from Neil Young style to Fairly Hard Rock/Early Metal

Thanks.
Last edited by JWZ28 at Jul 27, 2009,
brit eh? normal advice won't work on you then. usually people recommend avatar for this problem. if you don't have the duckets for something fairly nice(like an orange ppc212) then you should just make sure you can get something usable.

blackstar offers a 4x10 cab for the ht-5 for about 129 usd, that is a good enough option. also, this took me a while to find, but it appears your ht-5 will want a 16 ohm cab, it might have a 8 ohm option as well, but i couldn't find a pic of the back to confirm that. either way, this stipulation rules out the H & K 4 ohm cabinet, as you would not want match a 4 ohm cab with a 16 ohm head(it may sound bad and puts too much stress on power stage components, like the transformers).

my real advice though, is to get a badass cabinet that will last you a while. 4x12 are fun, but i grew bored of toting them around. and they are more expensive. but if you want one, then go for it, everyone should have one at least once before they realize they are not all they are cracked up to be. i normally use 2x12 cabs, i am known to change out for better speakers too. but for the money you are looking on spending now you probably won't be able to get something you'll want to keep overly long.

you may want to go with the valve king cab, then maybe upgrade speakers as you go along for improved tones.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 27, 2009,
Hmmm the H and K is 8ohm I believe

impedance Mono 8 Ohms
Impedance Stereo 2x 4 Ohms

Im not quite sure but I do like the H and K cab and the Blackstar has a 1x8ohm or 2x16ohm output. So it should work...?
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
sorry, i just saw the stereo out on there, never saw the 8 ohm in. it has a 1x8 ohm or 2x16 ohm output? then this thing is designed to go with 8 ohm cabs if that is the case. i am guessing that it is also designed to run off 2x8 ohm cabs in the 2x16 ohm outs. i am also guessing if that is the case, that they are running the 2 16ohm outputs in series. usually you have 2x8 ohm out, and 1x16 ohm out; this facilitates either 1x16 ohm cab in the 16 ohm out or 2x16 ohm in the 8 ohms outs. this setup generally runs the 8 ohm outs parallel.

so, yes, either way you should be able to get it to work.

-ae
So Blackstar HT-5 Head 8ohm output into H and K cab on the 8ohm mono setting = Works fine?
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
if you get a 2x12, you'll get a lot more bang for your buck...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by JWZ28
So Blackstar HT-5 Head 8ohm output into H and K cab on the 8ohm mono setting = Works fine?

yes

-ae
Or get a 1x12 with a low wattage speaker, like a 15 watt Celestio alnico blue or a heritage g12m 20 watter.

The problem is that 5 watts is not going to push a full 4x12 that hard and if you can't get the speakers going, you're not getting the most tone out of them.
The 1936 marshall 2x12 is looking a likely choice, they use Celestion G12T-75's in those right? Any got experience with these?

EDIT: Also, is the 1936 -V cabinet any better? I hear it has v-30 speakers in it.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Last edited by JWZ28 at Jul 27, 2009,
Is the Framus Cab any good? I haven't heard of them
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Ok I ordered the framus cab with the v-30
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by al112987
Or get a 1x12 with a low wattage speaker, like a 15 watt Celestio alnico blue or a heritage g12m 20 watter.

The problem is that 5 watts is not going to push a full 4x12 that hard and if you can't get the speakers going, you're not getting the most tone out of them.

i prefer this a bit as well. but some people don't like speaker distortion(or power amp distortion for that matter). if you are going with a 5 watt amp though, it's not gonna push a 15 or 20 watt speaker to 'rounding' either though. it just means you'll have to get another cabinet when you get a more powerful amp.

-ae
Quote by JWZ28

yea that looks like a good choice
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by gumbilicious
i prefer this a bit as well. but some people don't like speaker distortion(or power amp distortion for that matter). if you are going with a 5 watt amp though, it's not gonna push a 15 or 20 watt speaker to 'rounding' either though. it just means you'll have to get another cabinet when you get a more powerful amp.
You don't need speaker distortion, but it is important imo to get the speaker moving a little bit. You are right, a 15 watt speaker is not going to break up, but it will get working a little more than a 130 watt cabinet will being driven by a 5 watt amp.
Quote by JWZ28
Good choice, the HT-5 loves V30's.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION

You don't need speaker distortion, but it is important imo to get the speaker moving a little bit. You are right, a 15 watt speaker is not going to break up, but it will get working a little more than a 130 watt cabinet will being driven by a 5 watt amp.

as far as i have heard, there is not much difference for a speaker working within normal operating parameters. speakers are kinda designed to be flat that way, they aren't really supposed to sound different within their operating parameters. i just feel that to get your speaker to sound different, you're going to actually need to 'round' it(or push it beyond it's optimal operating condition). i have not noticed a difference in speaker sound mt 120 watt ppc212 between how it handled my TT(15 watts0, my THD(~30 watts), or my OR50H(50 watts); but my sunn(~150 watts) and my music man 130hd(130 watts), start rounding the speakers inside, sound much different

now really this comes down to, do you think trying to match amplifier wattage to speaker capacity is a useful tool when trying to get 'better tone'. first off, i believe it is what it is what you are after first off. 'heavier' music would like to avoid power amp distortion and speaker distortion so they run with like 100+ watt amps and speakers systems that can handle over 200 watts easy. this ensures no speaker rounding. this situation is actually quite favorable to them as they get more clear tone in the face of the distorted muddiness. this is a phenomenon i have experimented with. it works. then there are some people who like the sound of a blackface deluxe(ab-763 circuit) running at about 20 watts or so going into a 15 watt rated speaker. sounds groovy cuz it is, sweet ass old school sound rounding out the speakers. this is favorable for other reasons, mainly that it dirties up a prestine sound that could do better with bit on 'unfavorable' sound to liven up the tone. i have also experienced this charecteristic.

now, what i have not noticed is getting noticeable benefit from 'approaching' a speakers power handling point. it pretty much sounds the same to me. but even still, i will conceded that may make difference, by my point is the difference is not enough for me to change speakers out to facilitate a speaker with power rating closer to my amp. i am going to be more motivated by what speaker would sound good matched with the amp tonally, and power rating of the speaker is 1 very small facet of that choice.

pretty much, i don't believe it effects the sound enough to pay it mind, when there are plenty of other tone factors that have pretty much been ignored on this thread that are much more pertinent. like voice coil size? magnet material? basket assembly? cone construction? quality of manufacturing? somewhere in all those more pertinent question you should already have the idea that: "i am going for a cab with tons of headroom" or 'i want a cab to match with this head so as to get a 'rounding' tone". this has always been the case when choosing my cabs.

i did agree with you in the fact that it will make a 'difference', there is just a disagreement about how important that difference is in those constraints, i personally don't rate to high in the bigger picture of things.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 28, 2009,
Thanks for helping me choose, the Head will be here tomorow and the Framus cab and a speaker cable will be here sometime soon ish. Really looking forward to rocking on my les paul and not having that crazy bad MG
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12