hello,
I'm having trouble with my high E string not being able to be tuned to an E. I can get it to around a C and then when I spin the tuning peg to get it to go higher it wont get past a sharpened C. Not sure if my tuners loose or something but I've now broken 2 strings because of this. I use the "locking" method for stringing my guitar and am pretty sure that I am doing it right. The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul special II.
Thanks
Hmmm you got a Floyd Rose? Or standard Tune-o-Matic? If you replaced the original bridge with a FR, you might want to check if you're locking the string at the bridge correctly.
Quote by 6Wolf6Heart6
Hmmm you got a Floyd Rose? Or standard Tune-o-Matic? If you replaced the original bridge with a FR, you might want to check if you're locking the string at the bridge correctly.

He has a epiphone LP special 2..... it is definitely a TOM bridge.
Quote by darkcheef
Check your nut and bridge, is there a sharp grove in either of them?

Both my nut and my bridge appear normal upon close inspection, the strings sit a bit deeply in the nut which i know can be a problem sometimes for tuning, but could it be causing the problem I'm having?

Quote by 6Wolf6heart6

using the Tune-o-Matic that came with the guitar

Quote by Martindecorum
tune it to c play some bends and leave it for 5 minutes come back resume same process, dont force the string to stretch

high E is broken : \. but I will try that if I can't figure out the problem and I'm still having it with another new set of strings.

Thanks for the fast responses
Also, forgot to add that I stretched both sets of strings out.
Quote by l33trobinson
hello,
I'm having trouble with my high E string not being able to be tuned to an E. I can get it to around a C and then when I spin the tuning peg to get it to go higher it wont get past a sharpened C. Not sure if my tuners loose or something but I've now broken 2 strings because of this. I use the "locking" method for stringing my guitar and am pretty sure that I am doing it right. The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul special II.
Thanks

here is the main problem.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93

dude those guitars aren't that bad.....
and even if they aren't the greatest in the world, do you REALLY think that would be the whole problem? I just don't understand your need to post if you aren't going to help any.

to TS, have you checked your intonation?
Quote by randomhero93

haha, yeah I know, I've had problems with it staying in tune ever since I've had it (strings will go sharp or flat a bit within an hour of tuning), but nothing like what I'm having right now.
Quote by TheBax
and even if they aren't the greatest in the world, do you REALLY think that would be the whole problem? I just don't understand your need to post if you aren't going to help any.

to TS, have you checked your intonation?

yeah, did it recently, only the G was off and i fixed it.
Just checked them again on the 5 strings I do have haha and there all pretty good.
Quote by TheBax

I have a friend that works in a guitar store and i've played at least 5 different LP special 2's. I've tried to like them because they were cheap and i'm looking for a back up guitar. I tried liking them, but each of the one i played had a bad thing about them. 2 of them were tuned to D standard with 9's because the strings kept slipping and couldn't tune up to E standard (TS's problem, in a sense). And every one I played fell out of tune (flat) by at most, a full step by the end of a simple rhythm song. I even had one of the strings break on me while i played, it was at the bridge and we found out it was a sharp edge, but still, they were brand new guitars. I tried through the amps he had at the shop. Even through a Mesa double rect, it sounded terrible. I couldn't find one tone i liked (clean/overdrive/distorted). I tried another guitar (not an LP Special 2, it was a Schecter Omen 6) and I easily found a couple of tones. but i just couldn't find one with the special 2's.
/rant

so I have pretty good personal proof that these guitars are some of THE WORST guitars ever made.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by randomhero93
I have a friend that works in a guitar store and i've played at least 5 different LP special 2's. I've tried to like them because they were cheap and i'm looking for a back up guitar. I tried liking them, but each of the one i played had a bad thing about them. 2 of them were tuned to D standard with 9's because the strings kept slipping and couldn't tune up to E standard (TS's problem, in a sense). And every one I played fell out of tune (flat) by at most, a full step by the end of a simple rhythm song. I even had one of the strings break on me while i played, it was at the bridge and we found out it was a sharp edge, but still, they were brand new guitars. I tried through the amps he had at the shop. Even through a Mesa double rect, it sounded terrible. I couldn't find one tone i liked (clean/overdrive/distorted). I tried another guitar (not an LP Special 2, it was a Schecter Omen 6) and I easily found a couple of tones. but i just couldn't find one with the special 2's.
/rant

so I have pretty good personal proof that these guitars are some of THE WORST guitars ever made.

Nice rant...haha.

but in all seriousness, you DO have some good points, but i'm pretty sure you can agree with me that almost 90% of the "faults" are basic hardware (bridge, tuning keys, pups, etc) problems.
Am i right?
Quote by TheBax
Nice rant...haha.

but in all seriousness, you DO have some good points, but i'm pretty sure you can agree with me that almost 90% of the "faults" are basic hardware (bridge, tuning keys, pups, etc) problems.
Am i right?

this is true, but i highly think TS's guitar is stock, correct? if there was a modded up version of the secial 2 (all the stuff you mentioned, and maybe a new nut), i think i could like one, but I just lost hope. lol
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by randomhero93
this is true, but i highly think TS's guitar is stock, correct? if there was a modded up version of the secial 2 (all the stuff you mentioned, and maybe a new nut), i think i could like one, but I just lost hope. lol

Exactly. Lol

to TS, i know this probably isn't happening, but when i first started playing every once in a while i would somehow end up tuning it WAY over what it was supposed to be, then i'd still try to get it up to E, and it'd snap.
Could it be that you're doing this?
(couldn't hurt to ask, hahaha)
Make sure the string is wound around the tuning peg in such a way that it won't slip out.
Quote by TheBax
Exactly. Lol

to TS, i know this probably isn't happening, but when i first started playing every once in a while i would somehow end up tuning it WAY over what it was supposed to be, then i'd still try to get it up to E, and it'd snap.
Could it be that you're doing this?
(couldn't hurt to ask, hahaha)

I'm not that much of a beginner haha, been playing for 2 years

Quote by Shred-Hed
Make sure the string is wound around the tuning peg in such a way that it won't slip out.

always do , I do the slack under slack over method

I'll have one of my friends check it out, only thing I could think of is that the tuner is broken or something.
thanks for the help
Quote by l33trobinson
I'm not that much of a beginner haha, been playing for 2 years
Well, shit, ya never know, last time i did that was around a year ago. (i've been playing for 2 years now.) O.o