Alright so Ive been playing for about a year and a half mostly on a shallow body acoustic electric guitar, but its time i get a real solid body electric guitar and amp and im coming to UG for direction.

So i want an electric guitar built for good speed and flow, would love to have a whammy bar, in the price range of 500-700 dollars. Looking for playability over looks.

I guess I would also need to get myself a nicer amp, right now I have a 10wat fender that came with some starter kit. I dont know much of anything about amps but im looking for good quality and effects over wattage and overall loudness in the price range of around 200 maybe 300.

anyway any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Outside the side box that's outside your sky box.
What kind of music do you play?
I recommend a Parker. They have a good variety of tones and fast necks. The cheapest model is the P42 and it's 460USD I believe. An Ibanez S or SA series might also be worth a look.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Last edited by Unskathed at Jul 27, 2009,
Ibanez S470. Great guitar.

Ampwise: Roland Cube 30.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
I think that you should spend more on your amp. Depending on what music you play look for a Peavey 6105. Also, if you play metal go talk to WTF!!isatab
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Wrong forum for the guitar part of the post.

However, rather than spending so little on an amp and so much on a guitar you should flip-flop your budget. A good guitar through a cheap amp is gonna sound bad but a cheap guitar through a nice amp will sound okay. The amp makes up a majority of your tone.

What genre(s) do you mostly play?
500-700 USD that is? Try some of Jackson guitars. If you want a new one, some of Japanese-made models are the best you can get in that price range, notably DK2 or DXMG. If a used guitar is an option, for 600 USD you'd get a stunning SL-3.
If you don't like Jacksons, you might want to go with a LTD or an Epiphone, but mind that whereas 500$ Jacks are made in Japan, LTD's and Epi's in that price range come from Korea... And remember that a Japanese made guitar is something you can always rely on
And as far as amps go... I don't really think you can find something interesting for 300 bucks. Perhaps the new MG 4 line from Marshall is something to check out, I've heard some good things about them, though older MG's are pure crap and something to be generally avoided.
Last edited by 6Wolf6Heart6 at Jul 27, 2009,
So your total budget (for both the guitar and amp) is about $1000? I would do a 40/60% budget split for the guitar and amp, respectively. Go used and it would make your budget that much sweeter.
if you want a fast neck, look at ibanezes. keep in mind though, a guitar with a floating trem is gonna require a good amount of maintenance, so hopefully you know what you're doing. as for the amp, get a roland cube 60
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
alright I guess i could swap my budget more evenly. I play mostly blues/rock kinda stuff but honestly the last few months i havent played anything on guitar except what comes through improvising in whichever key. I havtn actuall yplayed a song in awhile, I just improvise and am generally working on my technique while practicing my theory by working up and down the fretboard as I please. I was looking at the marshall MG15FX amp which is in my price range and seems to be a quality amp. As for guitars yeah Ive been looking at jacksons and ibanez, but cant seem to find one in my price range that seems quality and has a whamy bar.

fender seems the logical route to take for guitars but I dont know something tells me to steer clear. I also looked at some gibsons and les pauls for that 24" more playavble neck but again no groovy whamy bars to mess with. I guess i dont have to have one but i think i would make good use of it

by the way thanks for all your help
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Wrong forum for the guitar part of the post.

However, rather than spending so little on an amp and so much on a guitar you should flip-flop your budget. A good guitar through a cheap amp is gonna sound bad but a cheap guitar through a nice amp will sound okay. The amp makes up a majority of your tone.

What genre(s) do you mostly play?

i'm not sure i agree. While I normally agree in most situations, for beginners, especially those who play metal, I'd say a better guitar combined with a cheaper amp is probably a better idea. With that budget he can easily afford a roland cube 30x, which is easily good enough for metal, and it's not like evening up those budgets is going to let him afford a soldano, or even a 5150. While putting that extra budget into the guitar might enable him to afford something like an ibanez rg1570, where the extra money put into a good guitar, and more importantly, good-quality locking trem, is probably worth it.

I just realised he says he's going to play blues and rock. d'oh, maybe disregard that paragraph. when he said trem i assumed he meant a locking trem.

Avoid the marshall MG- it's bollocks. The new version is allegedly slightly better, but I haven't tried it yet. And considering how bad the old version is/was, I'd need to try it under laboratory conditions to accept that it's any good.

it's really up to you, there are two schools of thought. Since you're just starting out, you could try a cheapish modelling amp, like a vox valvetronix. This'll give you access to a wide range of decent tones (plus a few basic effects), and once you realise which you like most, you can consider spending more on a "better" (probably tube) amp.

Alternatively, you have enough money for a tube amp already, if you're willing to switch those budgets as metalhead suggested. $600 would buy you a peavey classic 30, a traynor ycv40 or 50, a fender blues junior, etc. etc., which are decent quality tube amps aimed at blues and rock. they won't have as wide a range of tones as the modeller, but they'll be "better" and more "realistic".

What type of blues and rock will you be playing? is this only for home practice at the moment?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah its mostly at home playing right now, a few jams with friends so a small amp is preferable. by locking trem do you mean a bar that can bend both ways? Cause I know there are some guitar when you can pull the abr up to bring the note higher. Im probably looking for a fast playing metal guitar and amp for effects but i wont be shredding metal licks all the time.
now im looking at a 15 or 30w valvetronix vt100 though the cube20x and 30x seem to have more for the money.

So whats the real difference between guitars that have like a 3 piece body and maybe a 3 piece neck opposed to a one piece sild body with a bolt on one piece neck or etc...
Last edited by RiddleStinch at Jul 27, 2009,
it's slightly more complicated than that, regarding the trems, but you're along the right lines. More vintage strat-style trems can be set up to "float", but you'll only get maybe a semi-tone of up-pull/rise in pitch.

double-locking trems on some guitars (which haven't got "recessed" trems, i.e. don't have a big hole cut in the guitar to facilitate massive amounts of up-pull) will offer a similar amount of up-pull to a strat-style trem, assuming it's also been set up to float.

Long story short, if you want a lot of pitch-raising capability, you want to make sure you get a guitar with a "recessed" double-locking trem.

Here's a pic from the vintage kramer forum, you can kind of see the big hole underneath the trem.

Anyway, something like an ibanez rg1570 does have a recessed floyd-rose style trem, and more importantly it's a good-quality one, unlike a lot of the trems on cheaper guitars which are liable to wear out and not hold tuning after not too long. it used to be $750, but the prices may have gone up recently because of the recession.

grrr, yeah, it's gone up. it's $999, though it claims there's a $100 rebate (but whether than $999 includes the rebate or not, I don't know).

Anyway, the s470 might be worth considering, its ZR trem isn't exactly the same as a floyd, but it's a similar idea, sort of anyway.

pieces of wood: i'm not that well up on this, but generally, as far as i'm aware: fewer pieces, for the body anyway, is generally considered to be better. If it's a good glue joint then you probably wouldn't hear much difference between one piece and two, or maybe even 3, but if it's a bad glue joint....

for the neck, you can also make the strength argument... single piece may sound better, but more pieces is probably stronger and more rigid.

Generally vintage nuts will prefer one-piece (as that's what was historically used on gibsons, and fender necks), but more modern players often won't care. it's up to you, really, at the end of the day whichever guitar sounds better is more important.

for the amp, for metal, the roland cube 30x is better than the voxes, in my opinion, but i haven't tried the newest version of the voxes yet, it may have improved the metal tones. the cube 30x is also preferable to the 20x, as it has much more amp models, which means more versatility.

though i haven't tried the peavey vypyr yet, it'd likely be worth a try too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 27, 2009,
wow yeah the s470 looks like my best bet right now but im not going to buy untill the begining of september (my brithday) so it gives me time to get the $$$ and time to think it over. So my next question would be wheres the ebst place to buy, at the store or online? Iv been to altos music a few times and have played a couple nice guitars and I understand the importance fo trying out and feeling a guitar before buying it but are there advantages to buying online? I see alot of free shipping but thats about it. Ill prob go to the store sometime soon and playaround with some ibanez guiatrs and if that that 470 or whichever feels good i guess i could price chck it online first.

btw thanks dave I really appreciate all of your help. if you were in Ny id want to jam but ireland is probably awesomeer, im irish myself with full blown red hair!
eh, ireland's pretty mediocre if you ask me. crappy weather (granted, no extremes which is nice), too small, and too isolated (if you want to go anywhere else, you have to jump on a boat or plane).

store versus online- depends, really. if the guitar you want is in your local store, and they can get close to the online price, then go with the local store (assuming the one(s) in your local store aren't in terrible condition, or your local store has a bad reputation etc.). that's the way i normally work, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with a PRS SE, I payed 650 or so for mine and it can handle standard to drop B. You can also get a regular tailpiece, a tremolo version, soapbar pickups, or 24 fret

The Orange is just plum beautiful
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Single-Cut-Electric-Guitar?sku=519375

24 Fret
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=520056

Soapbar
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Soapbar-Electric-Guitar?sku=515829
the links in your second post didn't work.

regarding the ltds, the trem's going to be the problem. I'm not too well up on the cheaper LTDs, but considering their prices, I'd work on a guilty till proven innocent approach. I think mr flibble (another regular) has a LTD with the floyd rose special bridge, and last i heard it was still holding up pretty well, but he hasn't had it for that long yet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?