I just changed the B string on my new Ibby for a new one, as it looked and sounded broken- the string is thinner towards the ball-end, and it breaks the saddles like this, meaning I get clank. Looking a little closer, the new string has the same "problem", but is less floppy (it's the same gauge- odd?). Is this standard for ERB strings?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Changing B strings has always been irritating to me...I don't know why.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
BTW I just stole one of ur SIG quotes coz it made me lol to much

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's a taperwound string, that's all. It's not the reason you get "clank." You'll ALWAYS get clank from new low B strings.

Although saying that, maybe a bit of a setup will help you out.

I've raised the action to no avail, I'll take it to a repairs/mod place. I got Warwick blacks, I think they're taperwound- the packet says "Roundwound Stainless". It's the thin bit I'm worried about. Where it breaks the bridge, it's thinner and then it fattens out to full length. Can you get strings of uniform thickness?

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

It's perfectly fine that it goes over the saddle with the thin bit- mine do to. I have a Warwick, and I use taperwound Warwick EMP strings. You have to for the low B or else the string may not fit the ballend holder. Again- THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE THIN BIT GOING OVER THE SADDLE.
Quote by Casketcreep
Do five strings really count as ERBs?

I'd think they would, that or you could call it contrabass yeh? Anyway its got a few more accessible notes compared to a standard 4 string so it should be called a ERB.

So, i was just thinking about it and i'd probably freak out if my strings were tapered on both sides but thats just from not having ever really seen that on any bass in person.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."