im pretty sure you cant but im sure someone will be along shorty to explain why!
i'm wondering coz i remember reading about a guitar that has a p-90 humbucker made by wiring 2 p-90s together
Humbucker pickups are pretty much two single coils wired together in opposite directions in order to cancel the 60 cycle hum. So... yes, u can. Why would you want to do that though?

EDIT:
i'm wondering coz i remember reading about a guitar that has a p-90 humbucker made by wiring 2 p-90s together

I'm sure you mean two single coils together which was how the PAF pickup was created.

2nd EDIT: a PAF is the same as a humbucker; a P90 is Gibson's version of a single coil.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by evening_crow
Humbucker pickups are pretty much two single coils wired together in opposite directions in order to cancel the 60 cycle hum. So... yes, u can. Why would you want to do that though?

to experiment/make something unique/boredom
Quote by Priad-Luabe

It won't be unique because humbuckers ARE two single coils with opposite polarities and reverse-wound. At the most you'll get the same sound that you get when u activate two adjacent single coils in a strat (positions 2 and 4 on the selector switch).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 27, 2009,
If I had one regular wound pickup, and one reverse wound, and put them together, would that make something similar to a humbucker?
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Priad-Luabe
if you can how do you do it?
take any 2 single coil pickups that have opposite magnetic polarity. Connect them together. (HB pickups are wired in series, but you can wire them in parallel for a lighter, brighter tone.)

Done.
Quote by Priad-Luabe
Sure. Why not?

Quote by Priad-Luabe
As they say: "Do it, faggot!"

PRS has a guitar called the 513. It's a HSH but the HBs are pairs of single coils pickups. The SCs have a tall coil and separate magnets similar to a Strat. They sound a bit different because of that.

Experimenting is good. Have fun.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Strats have position 2 and 4 wire similiar to a humbucker except they are wired in paralell, so add a switch for series and you close to a humbucker.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Yep, I've done it. Its on the squier in my sig.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Yes, provided you use a single coil that is reverse polarity/reverse wound as one of them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I did it on my old crapcaster, I mounted the middle pickup infront of the bridge pickup and ran it with the selector in the 2nd position
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.