The way i hold the pick is starting to cause me some problems, my index finger keeps catching on the higher strings when i start playing fast, and sometimes the pick just slips out of my fingers, is this just down to bad technique, or is the way i hold the pick just wrong.

I've tried holding the pick in the way that i see most people holding it, but it makes a horrible scraping sound on wound strings, is there any way to prevent that, or am i still doing it 'wrong'?
curl your first finger and place the pick on top and hold it in place with your thumb. That is the correct way but some people do it differently

http://user156177.websitewizard.com/images/holding_the_pick.jpg

if your pick is sliding around maybe try one that has grip on it
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Jul 27, 2009,
There is no correct way, the image you posted is so uncomfortable for me.

I just hold it normal in between the fingers, I also stretch out my other three fingers kind of like George Lynch does, it's the way my playing developed.
Quote by Rocketface2112
curl your first finger and place the pick on top and hold it in place with your thumb. That is the correct way but some people do it differently

http://user156177.websitewizard.com/images/holding_the_pick.jpg

if your pick is sliding around maybe try one that has grip on it

I find that way uncomfortable cause I didn't start off that way. But I'm trying to get my hand used to holding it like that cause like TS, my other fingers are hitting the strings, and scrapping off the skin on my middle finger knuckle
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
The way the previous poster shows in the photo is the best starting point for most people. It feels a bit odd at first but after a bit of practice you will be fine. You should find the pick does not slip out and if it moves a bit during playing you can easily move it back into position without stopping playing.
I don't find it uncomfortable, its just i have to hold it almost parallel or it sounds like im doing a mini pick scrape every note, and if i hold it almost parallel, i find it difficult to do gallop's or play most of the stuff i was playing before.

Im guessing that its because i have bad technique and i will have to start practicing from the beginning again. Ill try and get if a video up so that its easier to see what i mean.
There's nothing wrong with how your holding the pick, the problem is simply that youre trying to play too fast when you lack the necessary control to do so.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I just try and get into a position where it's easy to do a pinch harmonic. I don't use them all too often but I find its best for me to hold the pick like that. Hold it however you want. That's not the reason of your problem.
The pick should be held in the way your find most comfortable. The answer is pretty simple.
Gear:
LTD M-207 (Soon to be modded)
B.C. Rich Bronze Mockingbird
Jay TurSuhr Vintage Strat
Takamine EG561C
Randall RG50TC

GAS:
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 MN Tribal Green
I hold my pick on the 1st joint from the tip of the finger and sometimes on the second bone of the finger. May not be "standard" technique but that's how I feel I control the pick best.
Quote by Kumanji
The only thing that matters in music these days is money - genuinely talented artists are passed over entirely or corraled into making non-offensive, non-threatening average music that sells.
As parallel to the strings as possible. I hold my pick like Yngwie, with the tips of my thumb and index, makes for more accurate picking I find

I started by emulating his picking style. The picture of my hand is pretty old, I dont anchor anymore and I only angle my pick for tremolo picking, and I angle it up so the upstrokes are smoother
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 27, 2009,
Anyone play with the pick "upside down", using what would be the top left corner if it was standing upright?
Quote by ChadHydro
Do you mean not using the sharper part to pick but using the rounder side? Every now and then I'll do this, gives your strumming a less sharper more softer sound.

Yup.

It's like it lets you play faster like if you were just choking up on it when normally held by putting your hand closer to the strings. Seems more comfortable that way. I usually always play with ultra thins though. That may be why.