So i'm thinking that, because of the state of financial affairs and education and job opportunities in ireland, i'm considering moving to either the states or canada and i'm in need of your help. Advice on job situations, financial affairs and whether to choose the States or Canada would be much appreciated. And if there's anyone on here that has made this move before, please offer any advice from your experience

Thanks in advance, and any jokes are appreciated too
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Canada will be welcome to have you.
From what I've seen so far, our province hasn't been hit very hard (New Brunswick). They've been talking about closing pulp mills and stuff, but not many of the city jobs have been closed. Both my parents, who work for the government, are still at their jobs, and seem like they'll be there for a while.
Canada is still relatively stable compared to other countries, and I have yet to see any real changes firsthand.

*Disclaimer: I'm only 16, so my views may not be entirely correct.
Quote by guitar-guy01
So i'm thinking that, because of the state of financial affairs and education and job opportunities in ireland, i'm considering moving to either the states or canada and i'm in need of your help. Advice on job situations, financial affairs and whether to choose the States or Canada would be much appreciated. And if there's anyone on here that has made this move before, please offer any advice from your experience

Thanks in advance, and any jokes are appreciated too

they suck in the u.s. too
Wait, so the economies in the ****ter in Ireland and you want to move to the source of all **** economies AMERICA? Thats like simply walking into Mordor!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

You'll have to get a work visa first, which will be hard if you don't have any third level qualification. If you want to get a third level qualification then you should stay here, tuition fees in the USA will cripple you.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Where are you moving from?

moving from carlow in ireland

Quote by dhutton
they suck in the u.s. too

still though it's tragic in ireland, our ministers for finance and education are going to impose massive new fees on college entrance to "put money into the country" to use their words, yet have just each gotten completely specced out mercedes Sclasses and increased their own wages

And they're lowering the national minimum wage in this country too
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01

still though it's tragic in ireland, our ministers for finance and education are going to impose massive new fees on college entrance to "put money into the country" to use their words, yet have just each gotten completely specced out mercedes Sclasses and increased their own wages

They won't do it this year, it remains to be seen whether they'll still be in power next year. They will face massive opposition if they try to do it, more than likely they'll only be able to do it for people earning over 6 figures. They can't justify it by saying it's a cash injection into the economy because it won't reap any returns at all for at least 3 years.
It certianly won't be anything close to what you will pay in the USA.

And they're lowering the national minimum wage in this country too

No, they're not. No way. Cowen has referred it to the labour court and there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the labour court will lower it.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
They won't do it this year, it remains to be seen whether they'll still be in power next year. They will face massive opposition if they try to do it, more than likely they'll only be able to do it for people earning over 6 figures. They can't justify it by saying it's a cash injection into the economy because it won't reap any returns at all for at least 3 years.
It certianly won't be anything close to what you will pay in the USA.

No, they're not. No way. Cowen has referred it to the labour court and there is not a snowball's chance in hell that the labour court will lower it.

i'm telling you dude, ireland is going downhill as long as theyre in power, they don;t give a crap bout what they do as long as their own asses are safe

and the wage decrease is going to go through, its that or they have to lower the wages of the higher ups and not one of them will be for that
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I read the thread title and thought "how is he going to motivate the Pit to lug his crap to his new house?"
The content of the thread has let me down.
If you're asking for boxes I'm afraid I've already used up all mine building my home.
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by MightyAl
I read the thread title and thought "how is he going to motivate the Pit to lug his crap to his new house?"
The content of the thread has let me down.

sorry ha, wasn;t expecting people to physically help me move, more offer advice
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm telling you dude, ireland is going downhill as long as theyre in power, they don;t give a crap bout what they do as long as their own asses are safe
I agree. They're a shower of wankers.

and the wage decrease is going to go through, its that or they have to lower the wages of the higher ups and not one of them will be for that

No, it's really not. I;ve been following this issue closely. Lenihan displayed his incompetence again at the MacGill summer school (an ironic place to make such an announcement BTW, when you consider who MacGill was) and Cowen corrected him saying that it will be a matter for the labour court ("That will be an ecumenical matter" ) http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0723/breaking37.htm
There is not a hope in hell of Kevin Duffy or the Labour court allowing a lowering of the minimum wage, which has been frozen since 2007. No way, no how.
If somehow they managed to control Kevin Duffy's mind from afar and the Labour court allowed it to be lowered there would be a general strike the likes of which we'd never seen before. We had over 120,000 people outside leinster house earlier this year for far less.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by guitar-guy01
sorry ha, wasn;t expecting people to physically help me move, more offer advice

OK, here's some advice - tape up the bottom of boxes. Also, raid a nearby settlement and take some slaves.
I have lived in both Canada and in the U.S. and realistically the cost of living in the states is lower but not by all that much.

The benefits to going Canadian though is

-Health care benefits after three months (which is superior to the states)
-Schooling is easier to get into from Ireland and Canada is regarded for having one of the best educational systems in the world.

I prefer Canada and love Ontario to death, but the staes is alright too.

Also: I know there are organizations in Canada that will help you with the move and will help you get a part time job and such if you wanted it too. If you wanted me to give you more info on that I could probably look it up.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Last edited by Shadowenspirit at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I agree. They're a shower of wankers.

thats putting it lightly, abominations of nature, destroyers of truth and justice seems mroe appropriate

Quote by Ur all $h1t

No, it's really not. I;ve been following this issue closely. Lenihan displayed his incompetence again at the MacGill summer school (an ironic place to make such an announcement BTW, when you consider who MacGill was) and Cowen corrected him saying that it will be a matter for the labour court ("That will be an ecumenical matter" ) http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0723/breaking37.htm
There is not a hope in hell of Kevin Duffy or the Labour court allowing a lowering of the minimum wage, which has been frozen since 2007. No way, no how.
If somehow they managed to control Kevin Duffy's mind from afar and the Labour court allowed it to be lowered there would be a general strike the likes of which we'd never seen before. We had over 120,000 people outside leinster house earlier this year for far less.

Enjoyed tha Fr Ted reference

But you can't argue against the fact that as a country we have a habit of employin people who will inevitably screw us over into power ahem bertie ahem. Strikes mean nothing to them because when it comes to voting there high numbers of people who vote for their choices out of habit or because its a family tradition to vote for a particular party (witnessed this firsthand when voting for the first time this year when my parents tried to persuade me to vote for who they were voting for

Quote by Shadowenspirit
If you wanted me to give you more info on that I could probably look it up.

that would be much appreciated thank you
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Last edited by guitar-guy01 at Jul 27, 2009,
I live in Oklahoma, and because there's not just a whole lot going on here, we haven't been hit that hard by the recession. Tuition is even pretty cheap here. Jobs aren't going away very fast, housing market is okay, so forth. It'll cost you on air conditioning though, and if you like having something to do, this isn't a great state for you.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by guitar-guy01
thats putting it lightly, abominations of nature, destroyers of truth and justice seems mroe appropriate

Enjoyed tha Fr Ted reference

But you can't argue against the fact that as a country we have a habit of employin people who will inevitably screw us over into power ahem bertie ahem. Strikes mean nothing to them because when it comes to voting there high numbers of people who vote for their choices out of habit or because its a family tradition to vote for a particular party (witnessed this firsthand when voting for the first time this year when my parents tried to persuade me to vote for who they were voting for

Ya, I'm just saying that Cowen has effectively said he won't lower the minimum wage by referring it to the labour court. No way the labour court will do it.
Strikes mean an awful lot to them. They'll cripple the country if there's a general strike. It'll cost the economy billions a day. There mere threat of one would probably be enough.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
First things first you should probably look over this.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

there is a link on the left for studying if you wanted to check that out.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Ya, I'm just saying that Cowen has effectively said he won't lower the minimum wage by referring it to the labour court. No way the labour court will do it.
Strikes mean an awful lot to them. They'll cripple the country if there's a general strike. It'll cost the economy billions a day. There mere threat of one would probably be enough.

for all our sakes i hope you're right, but i still fear that an complete economic breakdown in ireland is inevitable

Quote by Shadowenspirit
First things first you should probably look over this.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

there is a link on the left for studying if you wanted to check that out.

thanks for the link

Quote by SteveHouse
I live in Oklahoma, and because there's not just a whole lot going on here, we haven't been hit that hard by the recession. Tuition is even pretty cheap here. Jobs aren't going away very fast, housing market is okay, so forth. It'll cost you on air conditioning though, and if you like having something to do, this isn't a great state for you.

air condition wouldnt be a necessity for me. 18 years of living in ireland has left me in dire need of a place with heat
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
for all our sakes i hope you're right, but i still fear that an complete economic breakdown in ireland is inevitable

That's what they want you to think, so that when they reduce your standard of living it won't seem so bad. Don't swallow it.

The only reason they aren't scared is because they know our youth will emigrate rather than stick around and get angry and change things. The culture of emigration was the best thing that ever happened for incompetent Irish governments. It acts as a safety valve.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Also: Its a known fact Canadians are friendlier xD
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

-Voltaire

So it is written.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Remember what happened the last time the Irish came to the states?

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Remember what happened the last time the Irish came to the states?

we brought with us one of the largest days of drinking in the world....you're welcome

Quote by Ur all $h1t
That's what they want you to think, so that when they reduce your standard of living it won't seem so bad. Don't swallow it.

The only reason they aren't scared is because they know our youth will emigrate rather than stick around and get angry and change things. The culture of emigration was the best thing that ever happened for incompetent Irish governments. It acts as a safety valve.

i dont know dude, i really dont see a solution to their incompetence as long as theyre still in control
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
i dont know dude, i really dont see a solution to their incompetence as long as theyre still in control

The key is in ensuring that they're not in control much longer
If that fails I'm hopefully going to be living near Merrion Square next year, well within sniping range.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The key is in ensuring that they're not in control much longer
If that fails I'm hopefully going to be living near Merrion Square next year, well within sniping range.

really? well i will spend the year saving money to buy you many many bullets
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Come on over to the U.S., unlike a lot of people I know, I welcome immigrants, try to get a job in the Healthcare field, they are always hiring where I'm at.
Quote by Spartan101400
Come on over to the U.S., unlike a lot of people I know, I welcome immigrants, try to get a job in the Healthcare field, they are always hiring where I'm at.

You know people who don't welcome western European immigrants

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I've been thinking I might like to move when I finish uni. Maybe somewhere English speaking like Canada but more likely France or Italy. I'd love to live in France or Italy.

Not sure why i felt the need to tell you this. oh well.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I'm probably going to move to the US eventually. More career prospects and the possibility of going into the FBI. I'm going next summer to work anyway
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by SteveHouse
You know people who don't welcome western European immigrants

more importantly, they know people who dont welcome the irish?

Quote by Ur all $h1t

thanks for the link
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!