Hey, I've been playing guitar seriously for about 3 years and now I'm stuck.

My hands keep defaulting back to the same scales that I've learned over and over again which are the modes in Major. How do I move the modes around in different keys? I think I only know them in open position (If that's what it's called, whatever the original positions for the modes are.)

Those are pretty much the ONLY scales that I know. (I know the pentatonic scales within some of them, but that's about as far as I go.)

Playing has become monotonous and boring, I want to learn theory and my guitar teacher has been trying to teach me, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around what he is saying and I've honestly been lazy when it comes to practicing reading music. (Which I can do for the most part, but very poorly.)

For example, he asked me to read and play "A Daily Scale Study" in the Mel Bay book and I was able to read it easily in open position, but now he wants me to read it in the 5th position (I think, it's where I start on the 5th fret on the A string right? Is that the 5th Position?) And I had a hard time understanding the whole concept of moving positions... Am I playing in the key of A now that I start on the A note? Is open position considered the key of C or E? Because it starts on the E string?

It's all very confusing, but he said eventually something will "click" and it will all start to come together and make sense. I hope so, because I'm so lost.

How do I distinguish a root note in a scale? What's this with augmented and diminished notes and also intervals? How do I distinguish Major from Minor? And also another thing that confuses me thoroughly is how to move whole chords around the fret board, for example: Playing C minor at the 8th fret, how are you supposed to know which notes make up that chord at whichever fret?

Sorry for the long post, but I have convinced myself that learning theory will ultimately take me out of my slump and make me a better player, so I'm willing to learn it and just need a little help to get me started.

Thanks.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Jul 27, 2009,
Sorry for the double post, but I just realized that this thread is in the wrong forum.

If a mod could move it over to Musician Talk for me that would be great.

Sorry.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."