Poll: Microcube VS DA5
Poll Options
View poll results: Microcube VS DA5
Microcube
4 50%
Vox DA5
4 50%
Voters: 8.
I have played both. The MC seems better for distortion but, the Vox seems better for clean and crunch. I am leaning towards the Vox but, wanted some opinions on owners of either one. Need a small battery powered portable amp.
I'd say if you're more bothered about the cleans than the distortion then go for the Vox. It also has more effects, which is handy in case you need any.
^The DA5 doesn't have effects, you're thinking of the ADVT/VT series. But TS, go for the Vox. Just a better all around amp IMO, unless you play metal. Get a Big Muff or some other overdrive or distortion pedal and you'll be good to go.

EDIT: I mixed up the DA5 with the AC4TV
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by CullenT at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by CullenT
^The DA5 doesn't have effects, you're thinking of the ADVT/VT series. But TS, go for the Vox. Just a better all around amp IMO, unless you play metal. Get a Big Muff or some other overdrive or distortion pedal and you'll be good to go.

EDIT: I mixed up the DA5 with the AC4TV

That's the DA-5 control panel, and as far as I'm aware it has effects.

Edit: Just saw your edit haha, yeah, easy mix-up.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 27, 2009,
^Haha yeah. Wasn't thinking.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
I've got the vox and find it to be a good amp for cleans and crunch, never found the really high gain models to be up to much, maybe humbuckers would sort that out.

Lots more control over effects than the microcube.

If I remember right when I was asking the same question last year the answer was microcube for metal, Vox for everything else.

What is it you play?
I received my vox today, nice clean/crunch, quite an enjoyable distortion with the bridge humbucker (amp at Hi gain 1 seems best for my ear). Can't really compare it to the cube, last time I heard one was over 2 weeks ago when I was comparing the two
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112VCX - Vintage white w/ red tort pickguard
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Vox DA5 Classic
Valencia C-60 Classical
Yeah Vox for me too. It was between the cube 30 and DA 20 for me. It was a close race, but the Vox won out.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I just got back from GC. The Pathfinder 15r has a killer tone for a small amp. Pretty suprised.
which is the more tubey sounding of the 2, i would think the vox cleans simulate that tube tone better, as usually they have that great tone.