Alright guys so I started to try to sweep pick and I've gotten to the point where I can do it really cleanly with distortion and gain all the way up; the only problem I'm having is when I sweep, every time I pick a note, you hear the note, along with a " put " noise. so a three string arpeggio is like put put put pull-off put put.. and it sounds really "unclean" and I would like to try to fix it. Any ideas?
Do you mean the actual note sounds like that? If so, it's because you're muting EVERY string, including the one you are playing, as opposed to only the ones that arn't sounding.

If you mean you can hear the sound of the plectrum picking the string, its because you have the distortion all the way up, and/or because you are using a very thick pick. You'll always here your plectrum picking the string a little bit on the top 3 strings. To reduce how loud it is, try and glide the pick over the strings, so it only just touches them (ie dont dig in AT ALL).
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Jul 27, 2009,
Nothing you can really do to be honest. I find if you turn your tone control on your guitar right down it helps remove some of the noise, but the only way to remove it altogether is not use the pick - eg, legato.
Alright, yeah, I am using a 2.0mm pick lol. And I was talking about the plectrum hitting the strings, I'm not muting every string :P.
Try using more neck pickup? I think that's fairly normal, but I'm not really sure. You can hear it on some bands, but some are really clean. Try turning the distortion/gain down a little.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Personally, I love the noise of the pick hitting the string. Listen to david gilmour's tone, you can really hear it there. For sweeping though, try a more fluid right hand motion. Don't think of it as one note then the next, then the next and so on. Think of it as a whole not just parts.
Quote by ibz120
Alright, yeah, I am using a 2.0mm pick lol. And I was talking about the plectrum hitting the strings, I'm not muting every string :P.

I had to mention it anyway, I've seen people mute every string and wonder what's up
I've been using the neck pickup :p.

And I know what you mean about some bands you can hear it, and some you can't. For example, Bullet For My Valentine's "Eye Of The Storm" solo, it sounds amazingly fluid, you can't hear the picking noise at all. And that solo is on the top three strings :/ They also use 2 Boss Noise Suppressors, would that have anything to do with it?

I've just realized that the noise is partially because of my muting, when when I'm sweeping down ( from G string to high e) when i take my finger off the G, and my thumb of my right hand hits it, it was making a noise, but I fixed that, and you can still hear the picking :/.
I don't really think the Noise Suppressors affect it, those are only supposed to come on when you're not playing anything really. BFMV probably sounds very fluid because (I think) they have active pickups, which allows them to play very lightly and not have as much extra noise.

Of course I've never tried active pickups, so it could make it worse! It might just be studio trickery that makes it sound so smooth, I've never considered it a big deal so I haven't looked into it.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
I'm using active pickups :P. It seems as though everything everyone has suggested I already have been doing or have lol.
its also possible that it sounds so smooth because... they arnt picking.

grab the neck with your right hand, lightly, so it mutes the strings

then just hammer each note of the sweep with the left hand, and using the neck pick up. some people do sweeps etc that way so it sounds even more fluid that normal. they might have recorded it that way to eliminate both pik and string noise

I count it as cheating... but hey, if it gets the sound you want!
It sounds more fluid because his wrist is very relaxed, and I think he tilts his pick as well. The guitars under it mask alot though, I can hear the pick noise. When theres nothing underneath your playing you hear everything, rhythm guitar hides little things like that

Also, use less distortion. It brings out pick noise and unmuted strings
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.