So I am about to purchase my first electric, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Black(Ebony). I am really into a lot of Slash and bluesy rock but I am also a huge fan of 80's thrash metal and would love to shred tons of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill etc. I have heard this guitar is quite versatile but is it easy to shred on? It's a little heavy so would it make it difficult to blaze through tunes from Kill 'em all and Peace Sells? Would this guitar also be able to get me that classic thrash sound?

Ps. i am considering buying it along with a Line 6 Spider III 30w amp.
It all depends on the skill of the player. I can do some decent fast leads on it, but I suck.

There are plenty of amps that are the same price as the Spider, but heaps better. I speak from experience.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
you are probably going to want a lighter, dual-cutaway for that type of music. LP's arent really for shred metal. you might want to rethink the amp decision also.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
Have you played guitar before (as in acoustic)? If not I wouldn't worry about shredding... You can make a guitar do anything, MOST (not all) of your tone will come from your fingers and your amp (hence why you would be better off going with a Peavey Vypyr than a Spider 3).
Shredding depends on the player not the guitar. Different people tend to have different preferences, but there are no shortcuts to playing quickly and cleanly.
yeah, it'll work for both those things, but be sure to try one out first for yourself.
Ampwise, avoid that spider III.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
I cant believe no one has mentioned the fact that the LP has a fat neck and would be very difficult as a shredder. For shame,
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Yes You can but you may find it hard to Palm Mute on as you are used to a flat Bridge and on a Les Paul it is Raised up.

Can Be Done But Will Need Some Getting Used To
Quote by delgadohoss

Ps. i am considering buying it along with a Line 6 Spider III 30w amp.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and, yeah, you can shred on it. It might be a tad bit more difficult than an Ibanez paper-thin neck, but it really doesn't matter too much. I say get it! (But don't get the Spider III!!!)
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Alex Skolnick anyone?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Doug Aldritch, Buckethead and others show it's possible. You just need the hands to do it.

Also do not buy the Spider.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
If you want an LP shaped shredder, I suggest the ESP EC-401.

Or any EC-400 and above.

+1

I learned how to shred on a Epi Les Paul Custom, so yes, you can. But their are many better options like the EC-401
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt