So, I've been playing guitar for a few years and I feel like I'm in desperate need for an amp upgrade as I have run out of patience with my Spider 3. It sucks. But that is not the point. Basically, I have a birthday coming up and my parents agreed to help me out with buying an amp.

As far as price goes, I can go used, but I'd like to keep it under or around $1000 US.

I have an LTD EC-1000, which i am completely content with and I'm not changing.

Now here's the problem... I play a huge variety of music. I need ultra clean for Perpetual Groove like songs, but I also play blues, and also metal like Children of Bodom, Cynic, Mastodon, yet also a lot of classic rock like Van Halen or Led Zeppelin.

If I'm spending this much money, I'd like for it to be able to do all of this, but I'd sacrifice the clean tones if I had to.

It needs to be able to be heard unmic'd in a 300 person auditorium or so.

Finally, I live within driving distance of like 3 or 4 major guitar stores so I can try stuff out.

Thanks

EDIT: For life was more of an expression... I just meant that I want to be able to go a few years without having to upgrade... Or something that I can basically just be happy with.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Last edited by c0m2011 at Jul 27, 2009,
Check Bugera 6262 or 333XL. Maybe even the new one, I don't remember what it's called.
id try out a mesa stiletto. i have one and i can get an sound i want and do it amazingly. with my tubescreamer, i can easily get any brutal death metal/deathcore/whatever tone

edit: didnt see the budget. this amp is over your budget new, but i got a mint condition 2003 model one for 850, so they are doable in your price range.

p.s. is doable a word? lol
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Jul 27, 2009,
you might want to expand your budget a little. honestlyl. the range opens way up. i mean, for that kind of variety, and an amp you'll want to keep for the rest of your life, you're looking at ENGL, Framus, a mesa mark, VHT, splawn, amps like that. for under a grand though? maybe a used mesa single recto, or a peavy XXX?

EDIT: i take back the xxx. i love mine, but it's not a "set for life" kind of amp.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Last edited by gpderek09 at Jul 27, 2009,
I'm not completely sure, but you might be better off getting a few distortion/OD pedals for different sounds.

I know JSX's get along well with pedals, but you will have to get one used to get under $1000. Do you want a half stack or combo, or does that not matter? I would check out a Spider Valve, people give them A LOT of s*** but IMO most of it is undeserved.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Hey,

Listen, nothing is going to get you "set for life" at any price range. Your tastes will change, as everyone's do. Even guitarists who have millions of $ have many many amps.

What I would recommend is that you try to get a decent Marshall tube amp. I own a TSL60 and personally I find it to be a very versatile amp. I play it through my ESP Eclipse Standard Series (which is basically a made in japan slightly better version of what you have) and it sounds great for all types of music. I play primarily hard rock/metal, but it works great for everything from Blues to Weezer.

For your budget I would opt for something used. Buying a Marshall tube combo used for $1000 should be doable, especially in this weak economy. Good luck.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Also I wouldn't recommend the Spider Valve... especially if you're coming from a Spider. I've played it and honestly the increase in price does not justify the increase in sound quality. The cleans are much better, but the distortion is still mushy. Overall I wouldn't say it's worth it.

Marshall all the way.. with a tube screamer pedal and some tinkering with the settings, any tone is achievable.
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
Quote by PBROWN8806
Check Bugera 6262 or 333XL. Maybe even the new one, I don't remember what it's called.

no, a cheap knock off or a cheaper knock off of a cheap knock off will not set him up for life.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Used Peavey Triple or Ultra Plus 120 and a Used 4x12 or 2x12 cab.

no. see above.

Quote by ChrisBW
I'm not completely sure, but you might be better off getting a few distortion/OD pedals for different sounds.

I know JSX's get along well with pedals, but you will have to get one used to get under $1000. Do you want a half stack or combo, or does that not matter? I would check out a Spider Valve, people give them A LOT of s*** but IMO most of it is undeserved.
again, guys, if the ts wants something that's going to last a life time, not suit him for a year then leave him wanting.

Quote by noodlegts
Hey,

Listen, nothing is going to get you "set for life" at any price range. Your tastes will change, as everyone's do. Even guitarists who have millions of $ have many many amps.

What I would recommend is that you try to get a decent Marshall tube amp. I own a TSL60 and personally I find it to be a very versatile amp. I play it through my ESP Eclipse Standard Series (which is basically a made in japan slightly better version of what you have) and it sounds great for all types of music. I play primarily hard rock/metal, but it works great for everything from Blues to Weezer.

For your budget I would opt for something used. Buying a Marshall tube combo used for $1000 should be doable, especially in this weak economy. Good luck.
yes, thank you.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Ok for life was a poor choice of words. I edited my original post. I just want to be content with it for a while and be able to play what I want adequately.

So is the general consensus just any decent marshall tube amp? Also for this range should I go for a combo or half stack?
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Quote by noodlegts
Also I wouldn't recommend the Spider Valve... especially if you're coming from a Spider. I've played it and honestly the increase in price does not justify the increase in sound quality. The cleans are much better, but the distortion is still mushy. Overall I wouldn't say it's worth it.

Marshall all the way.. with a tube screamer pedal and some tinkering with the settings, any tone is achievable.

This is what I was talking about. I'm not trying to be an ass if this comes out a little harsh....

I was VERY close to getting the Spider Valve, and I've played the 2x12 and stack extensively in a couple different stores and at a studio. You really can get great sounds out of it, and it's great if you need versatility which why I mentioned it. No offense, but IMO if I want a versatile amp, I don't want to manually change the settings to get different sounds. I want them to all be programmed so I can easily switch in a live situation, and you don't have to memorize all you're settings. You get the exact tone you want, and that's what you get every time. It's simply easier.

Just my two cents.
Quote by c0m2011
Ok for life was a poor choice of words. I edited my original post. I just want to be content with it for a while and be able to play what I want adequately.

So is the general consensus just any decent marshall tube amp? Also for this range should I go for a combo or half stack?

that changes quite a bit. now this includes stuff like bugera, peavey (although, why not just get a peavey, right?).
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by IbanezPsycho
No amp is set for life.. But with his budget, that is the best and closest he will get

ENGL SE or Invader 150, or a Diezel are pretty close.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Would be up for A/Bing a couple 2x12s?
I say get a Boogie Mark III.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i play pretty much every genre imaginable through my good ol' JCM800. of course, i have 12 pedals to help out. my point is that there is really no such thing as a do-it-all amp, but if you get a good quality, moderate gain tube amp that takes pedals well, has an effects loop, and is pretty versatile on its own, then you can shape your tone to pretty much whatever you want with pedals.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by gpderek09
ENGL SE or Invader 150, or a Diezel are pretty close.

Not for me I would have to have the SE, Both a Diezel VH4 and a Herbert with a sprinkle of Bogner...

Which is why im pretty sure Ill be going with something like this as my next rig..

Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 27, 2009,
Try a Randall RM50 combo. If you ever want to change your sound, all you have to do is either buy a new module, or get one you already have mod'd, for $200. Thats cheaper than spending $1000 on a new amp.

The RM50 is an all tube combo with two modular preamp channels. Each module has two 12AX7 preamp tubes and is based off of the circuitry of the amp it is based off of. If you want an amp that will last a long time, then this is it.

For modules, i recommend the blackface for clean, and the 1086 mod'd by Pete Turley (okstrat on the MTS forum). But here are some clips to help you decide.

RM50: http://www.dcmusicstore.com/Randall-RM50B-Amplifier
Clips: http://www.bandslink.com/randall.htm
Forum: http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php

You can also put different power tubes in it and bias it yourself. So you can put in 6V6's to get lower wattage (25), or 6550's to get higher wattage (80-100). It comes stock with 6L6's or EL34's which give you 50W. It also comes with a reverb tank.

Edit: ^+1000 Sweet the RM12! That will be perfect if Randall comes out with some modules that host some fx like reverb, chorus, or delay. I can't wait for the Ultra Curve.

Good Luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Last edited by JKMV11 at Jul 27, 2009,