So, i just don't seem to understand basses yet. I don't have one but will be getting a bass very soon. So what is the standard tuning for a bass and what do 5 string offer in the way of tuning. thanks for your help
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
This is covered in the FAQ is it not?

Anyway, a normal 4 string is tuned GDAE (high to low). A standard 5 string adds an extra string below these tuned to a B.

In addition to extended range, many players favour 5 strings for economy of movement in the fretting hand.
4-String: EADG (Low to high)
5-String: BEADG (Low to high)
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
So, i just don't seem to understand basses yet. I don't have one but will be getting a bass very soon. So what is the standard tuning for a bass and what do 5 string offer in the way of tuning. thanks for your help

It's a bass with 5 strings... and the deepest one is B hence BEADG (thickest to thinnest)
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Dream Floyd
It's a bass with 5 strings... and the deepest one is B hence BEADG (thickest to thinnest)

this

i love your sig....
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
Alright thanks guys. I don't think it is in the faq. I looked but i couldn't find it atleast. But thats what i hoped. cool sweet
standard is E A D G

5 sting is BEADG its apparently super hardcore and "brootle"

6string is BEADGC if your smart you will go 4 or 6 unless you want to look hardcore and brutal. if thats what your after then yes 5 is where its at. if you just want to start learning use 4. if you want to become a god get 6.

thats my two cents, think abot it however you want though its your choice.
yeah 5 strings really are hardcore. Of course 7 strings crush 6 strings soo... lulz
Quote by Casketcreep
Well i think you are way off the mark.

Five strings are "brutal"?
News to me.

yea brutal was off the mark. i guess i should have written out a massive essay explaining what i was trying to say instead of assuming everyone would magically get what i was trying to say lol
So on a note related to 5 strings....

I have relatively small hands so what is a good 5 string bass that has a thinner neck? I've heard Ibanez SR's are some of the thinnest around, is that true, and what's comparable?

Thanks! Sorry for the hijack TS, but I think you got your question answered!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

yeah i did that's cool. i can't answer you unfortuanatly but let's hope this post will kinda bump your post and get some answers as there seems to be none
Quote by bass-boy-garith

6string is BEADGC if your smart you will go 4 or 6 unless you want to look hardcore and brutal. if thats what your after then yes 5 is where its at. if you just want to start learning use 4. if you want to become a god get 6.

Wow...

.....Wow...

...Wooooow....

You sir, clearly, know nothing....
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
standard is E A D G

Uh...no. A 5 string gives you some lower notes to give you more depth, it doesn't make you "br00talz".
Quote by bass-boy-garith
standard is E A D G

I play a 5 string, I play worship and alternative and pop rock, sometimes a bit of screamo-ish stuff now and then. Far from br00tal, really.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by poncho-dude
Learn to count you fucking asshole

*reported*

Hopefully a mod will close this by-now well irrelevant thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..