Lately I have been doing a ton of reading and tinkering, and I noticed something, to me, my sound from my les paul is like out there, its not tight at all, power chords, and most regular chords sound like ****, but they sound perfectly fine on my acoustic. I have straightened the neck out some (Truss rod) so now it only has a little bend in it (I forget what its called but the type it should have) and I have adjusted my TOM up (Going to adjust it up a little more, cause it helped a very little). So, is it my pups or is it me and my setup? Cause, IDK I can play individual notes fine, chords, thats a diffrent story, plus when I adjust my pups, you can hear the screw drivier hitting the screw... and I don't think that should happen. (Ala potted humbuckers) so do we think its my pick ups or not. Cause. The chords sound fine on my les paul not plugged in, and when its set very clean. So i say stock pups are bad and I need new ones. So what would be good more most all classic rock? I was thinking pearly gates in the neck (So it would be a little chrisper, but still thick ford good blues chording) and a SH1 in the bridge. But I am also up for recommendations. I play alot of Led Zep, Aerosmith, Slash/GNR/VR, Joe Walsh/Eagles type of music (I mix and match for the mood I am in) and want pick ups that will do those well. So thanks guys much appreciated.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
First -

Yes, when you touch metal to the scew posts, you will hear the sound of it as pickups are designed to pick up magnetic fields and the vibrations in them in order to conduce tone. That's what they do. If you didn't hear that, you wouldn't get any sound at all from the strings.

Pickups may help a bit with the clarity, but tone, generally, is about 75% amp related. Pickups can help you, but most of it comes from a combo of the amp and your playing technique. My advice? Work on your articulation and pick hand technique, then decide what needs fixing.
Well the sound is some what me i think but its nt completely me, like its muddy, thats the word, its muddy really muddy with power chords and regular chords are very well, there very overly bright. IDK I will mess with the amp more.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Really. What are your settings? You may have your amp and or guitar toned down too much.
the pickups on epis need to be changed out. you WILL notice a difference if you go with quality pickups. You want to les paul sound, get some burstbuckers
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Yes, it's the pickups. I know from experience. Really freaking muddy.
I'd suggest a Duncan Custom 5/ '59 or Jazz combo.
Or, maybe a Custom 5/Phat Cat combo.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
If it sounds muddy, you may just have to lower the height of the pickups.

You've got no idea how muddy and loose epiphone pickups sound.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Could be your settings. I noticed the crate v18 I had the gain was very muddy without an eq pedal. Not the same amp but the same series. Make sure your mids aren't scooped too much as it will get muddy.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
sounds to me like an intonation problem. have it set-up, but if that just doesnt do it for you you could change the pickups i dont know that it'd help any more then just taking the covers off your current pickups.. (assuming their covered.)
oh yeah lol the crate v series distortion completely sucks... WAY to much low end. turn down your bass and put the bright switch on. helped alot for me.
Well on clean.. I have a TON of bass Ic an turn the bass of and i still get a little muddy bass. My settings... lol usually 4 4 4 with the volume on 2 and my volume ont he guitar at 8. I inotated last night but I think i will change the strings on it and see if Ic an get it a little better (All the strings are inotated except the g which is a little sharper) My pick ups are, well lol almost equeally low with there rings.. and my bridge height, I am going to mess with lowering it, cause I messed with it out on inotation and it would buzz, but I will mess with lowering it. but IDK if it will help, anyways, any more advice? and if I need to give more info let me know.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
honestly with my les paul i have the bright switch on and mids FULL treble about 2oclock and bass about 2oclock and i get great results.
To forsaknazrael: I looked that up last night, but I checked it again today and it helped me out a ton last night, and thank you fro all your help.

to Mayonaise 812: The bright switch fixed the problem, it was the amp doing it, and I still play good lol.

To oneblackened: I know what you mean, epi pickups suck.

But a super big thank you to forsaknazrael for the inotation setupthign thought I already go it and Mayonaise 812, for thinking it was a inotation problem.

THANK YOU A MILLION EVERYONE WHO POSTED!
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Quote by forsaknazrael
Your intonation may be off.

This can make your guitar sound out of tune, even though you just used a tuner to tune it.

Fix it using this tutorial:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/intonate.htm

Also, what are your settings?
Wow i always thought intonation was a lot more complicated than that. Thats pretty useful
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab