So i was at a guitar center yesterday and decided to play some "popular amps" to see if all my hate against them was well founded. here are some mini reviews

first up is the bugera 6262:
This is supposed to be the 5150 clone am i right? First of all, they actually got pretty close to their goal, although it is obviously not as good as the real thing. The cleans were better than the 5150, and the "crunch" setting was my favorite. The lead channel was a steaming pile of crap though. way way way too much gain even on lower gain setting and the EQ was very unresponsive. At least it sounded like a tube amp though. not very dynamic though

next i play a jcm 2000 dsl.
I honestly could not find one usable setting on this amp. the only thing that sounded decent was very very high gain settings. Channel one sounded awful all around. Channel two, or the lead channel i think it was, sounded ok, but did not sound like a marshall, and you have to crank the gain to get a decent sound. very unimpressed.

Then i saw the spidervalve so i figured i would try it, but i turned it off like 30 seconds into it. This amp literally sounds like a solid state amp, except maybe in the low end, the presets are awful, it squeals at you, and even using my own settings it sounded like complete crap.

so i needed to play a nice amp before i left so i sat down in front of a vox night train and was blown away. Those amps sound awesome! I would definitely recommend it for someone looking for something like a tiny terror but doesn't like the tone of an orange.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
ok yea pretty much the same thing
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
I totally agree on all those amps. Was the JCM the combo? Because I agree there, don't think I've tried the head which I've heard is better so I'll reserve judgement on that. I still don't like the price of new marshalls against what's out there (coughsplawncough), but used there are some good values to be found.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
no it was actually the head through a nice 1960 cab.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
^ I'm not sure what you did to it, then. I rather like them.

In fact, I'm considering buying a used DSL 50 for cleans and modern tones.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
i could definitely see modern tones. but anything less than high gain sounded awful.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I have the exact opposite opinion of the JCM2000, imo the boosted lead channel is buzzy, compressed and unimpressive sounding. In general, the entire lead channel is not that great, but I have always really liked the green channel (clean channel, classic gain channel, whatever the hell they call it) and am surprised that you thought it sounded awful all around. It's pretty easy to coax a lot of great vintage-esque Marshall tones out of that channel.
Quote by al112987
I have the exact opposite opinion of the JCM2000, imo the boosted lead channel is buzzy, compressed and unimpressive sounding. In general, the entire lead channel is not that great, but I have always really liked the green channel (clean channel, classic gain channel, whatever the hell they call it) and am surprised that you thought it sounded awful all around. It's pretty easy to coax a lot of great vintage-esque Marshall tones out of that channel.

This.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Ghold125
The 6262 is based off the 6505+

6505+ and the 5150 II is the same amp
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars