Sorry about the startling title, but I really don't want to take my Epiphone SG to the LMS for a tune-up, because they over price everything! If you want your guitar restrung, the total price comes to $10. All I want to do is buy a nice set of strings at G.C., adjust the neck IF NEEDED, and this time actually string it without having a crapload of dead spots. I'd really like to have this setup make my guitar wail bluesy leads, shake the walls with classic rock, and crush skulls with metal (I'm starting to sound like that dude from the BOSS comercials!!! ) So, what strings do you recommend? I was looking at Ernie Ball 10's or 11's and GFS Boomer's 10's or 11's. Also, will I need to adjust my neck? If so, how? Thanks....

P.S. I'm not a guitar n00b, I have been playing for 3 years. I just don't know how to set up a guitar (pretty pathetic )
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Last edited by chaazums at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by cainmd
wow, not even worth it

Dude, if you're not contributing to my topic, don't even post.

*reported*
Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666

Quote by Reporting Rules
This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.

^ Yeah, you didn't really have reason to do that.

You'll probably want 10s, and imo Ernie Ball or D'Addario are better than GHS.
Here are 3 articles in the UG Columns Section that should be help you understand the setup of a guitar.

Read them carefully to understand what adjustments you can make and now they effect the guitar. While you're reading them, compare pictures and descriptions with your own guitar to make sure it all makes sense.

Then read them again.

Once you understand them, Read them again. (Recurring point here, get it)

Make sure you fully understand what the adjustments do before you actually do them.

Neither I or UG are responsible for any adjustments you make on your guitar. That is you and you alone.

When you're ready to make your adjustments....READ THEM AGAIN!!!!!

Truss Rod Adjustment
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/action_neck_bow_and_your_truss-rod.html

Action
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/action.html

Intonation
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/intonation.html

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Jul 27, 2009,
Go with whatever strings you're comfortable with. The closer you keep to your current gauge, the less set up will be needed. Go to the sticky at the top of the page for a tutorial on how to change strings and to ask any set up questions you have afterwards.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Thanks, everyone!
Gear:
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666