I guess this kinda belongs in here.

I have pretty small wrists but fairly long, skinny fingers for only being 5' 7" except for my pinkie. My pinkie barely gets up to the knuckle on my ring finger and is much smaller than the rest of my fingers.

When I place my thumb on the back of the neck I find my hand is curving at an angle to compensate for the differences in length. Also, the knuckle for my pinkie is set back further than my other knuckles and my pinkie seems to curve in towards the rest of my fingers when I form a very loose fist.

Guys like Paul Gilbert and Buckethead have large hands and very long pinkie fingers. When I look at players that are equally as fast like Yngwie I see that he does not use his pinkie for most of his playing.

Wouldn't it be easier if our fingers were all the same length? Does anyone know where I can find a finger extension to put on my pinkie just for ****s and giggles?
Quote by MarcoWasRight
I guess this kinda belongs in here.

I have pretty small wrists but fairly long, skinny fingers for only being 5' 7" except for my pinkie. My pinkie barely gets up to the knuckle on my ring finger and is much smaller than the rest of my fingers.

When I place my thumb on the back of the neck I find my hand is curving at an angle to compensate for the differences in length. Also, the knuckle for my pinkie is set back further than my other knuckles and my pinkie seems to curve in towards the rest of my fingers when I form a very loose fist.

Guys like Paul Gilbert and Buckethead have large hands and very long pinkie fingers. When I look at players that are equally as fast like Yngwie I see that he does not use his pinkie for most of his playing.

Wouldn't it be easier if our fingers were all the same length? Does anyone know where I can find a finger extension to put on my pinkie just for ****s and giggles?

hahaha a finger extender? nah i really dont think that exists. Can you get surgery to make your hands bigger? that would be weird wouldnt it. anyway eerrrrrrr just practice i guess and hows your other hand? might wanna try playing leftie (or rightie depending) if that hands looking better
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
hahaha a finger extender? nah i really dont think that exists.

They do, the only unmasked picture of Buckethead features one. I just can't remember where I foudn them online.

Can you get surgery to make your hands bigger? that would be weird wouldnt it. anyway eerrrrrrr just practice i guess and hows your other hand? might wanna try playing leftie (or rightie depending) if that hands looking better

Blah, blah, blah. My hands are equal. Surgery is an extreme.

It just seems more economical to use all four fingers but the more I pay attention to other players I see them only using their first three.
My pinkies are short,much the same as you describe yours and I have never felt at a disadvantage apart from not being able to reach 5th fret with it on an open Am.

I personally use it everywhere I can.
But try running up and down a three note per string scale starting on the 17th fret of the low E string and you'll realize that it's just not possible.
Quote by lwayneio
hahaha a finger extender? nah i really dont think that exists. Can you get surgery to make your hands bigger? that would be weird wouldnt it. anyway eerrrrrrr just practice i guess and hows your other hand? might wanna try playing leftie (or rightie depending) if that hands looking better

Obvoiusly you have never seen the Finglonger.

And I don't think that there is a such thing as bad hand andatomy for playing guitar, as long as you have at least 2 fingers, you can play guitar well, tou just have to practice more with only 2 fingers
Quote by whitenihilist
Obvoiusly you have never seen the Finglonger.

And I don't think that there is a such thing as bad hand andatomy for playing guitar, as long as you have at least 2 fingers, you can play guitar well, tou just have to practice more with only 2 fingers

You got me excited.

I'm just saying it seems our hands are more adapted to picking up round objects. If there was a way, I'd make my fingers all of equal length so it would be easier to move around the fretboard.
Quote by MarcoWasRight
You got me excited.

I'm just saying it seems our hands are more adapted to picking up round objects. If there was a way, I'd make my fingers all of equal length so it would be easier to move around the fretboard.

yeh i have always thought that to be honest, I actually hate the way my hands look, i usually play in the dark like some phantom. seriously, the middle fingers have like no gap between then so when im using the 2nd finger the 3rd rests on it which make me even less economical. they are really boney as well which i dont like iv broken my hand twice tho so its a bit messed up now which sucks i hope i can still play good one day tho
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by MarcoWasRight
It just seems more economical to use all four fingers but the more I pay attention to other players I see them only using their first three.

Pay attention to better players then.

4 fingers - better than 3!

My classical teacher once had a chap who had 5 fingers on each hand, perfectly formed and usable for playing!
Quote by Freepower
Pay attention to better players then.

4 fingers - better than 3!

My classical teacher once had a chap who had 5 fingers on each hand, perfectly formed and usable for playing!

no way!?? seriously? that would be amazing its like he evolved specifically to play guitar
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by Freepower

Whoa!!!! That would f*cking rock!

The only cases I've heard of 6 fingers, the extra finger was super puny and in many cases just hung there. A fully functioning extra finger is a guitarist's wet dream. I can just imagine how the guy would describe playing chords..."oh, yeah, you just use your pinky for this note, and pinky II for this note".
Quote by Freepower

I wish I could swap hands with the guy.

I've been day dreaming about the string skipping pentatonic all day. All 5 notes on one string without changing position, then skip a string to get to the next octave!
Well, I have to say that through practice and a long time playing the guitar, my left hand is physically bigger than my right hand. My fingernails are shorter, and my calluses make my fingertips extend at least a quarter of an inch (maybe a wee bit less) over the top of the fingertips of my right hand. Also, the muscles along the inward side of the palm and from the base of the thumb to the wrist make my left hand wider.

My left hand is essentially bigger in every dimension. I have heard it said that Paul Simon is unable to extend the fingers on his right hand much further beyond the finger-picking position that classical guitarists use.

Given enough time, our hands form to our instrument. For better or for worse.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.